thinkfly's hair restoration website - Hair Transplant with Dr R. Sundarason

thinkfly

I feel that having hairloss is very miserable. It makes us look older and reduce our confident. I have decided to go for a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) of 1000 grafts with Dr R. Sundarason in Singapore. I search this forum and realize that there is no review on him, and I would like to share my result. This amount of hair transplant is recommended by this surgeon. For a fair comparison, I would be presenting my result with and without flash in my album.

999109636_E273042C26CBD8287D3DC768770C1860.jpg.thumb 899109636_978C599C956E665086CE63C6992DBF6C.jpg.thumb 799109636_2A21AB75BF11190B0554DC5C4765EB02.jpg.thumb 791103446_1AD64B63C0362C6FB7DD62E6480ED419.JPG.thumb 699109636_6D4CDF35314F106CE0544172172EB6EF.jpg.thumb 693100746_E6825580215F22E4BF020C86CB53C3E0.jpg.thumb 599109636_D631C5DA3F95B608F5F10E5B244D1666.jpg.thumb 563100746_4636613D8D2AF18DFE4183C3F9662D1B.JPG.thumb 499109636_2114F1B9B1A2B50F74A853EEB1DF48F2.jpg.thumb 399109636_54AC1ABBDC6ECAA9BAB73C0F4FF9061A.jpg.thumb 299109636_C5DEC26B755E28003F40F22926757E91.jpg.thumb 199109636_5D9047DAD23019236CF95FF1FA7BC955.jpg.thumb 114100746_330B502033A81498B178C5F4EBA5CE49.jpg.thumb 100101736_72C7B4DBCD56B9AEC0A7136DF2E6531A.jpg.thumb

I was told to wash my hairs and can only take a light breakfast before I came for the surgery.Then, I signed a consensus form which gives a description of pre- and post-surgery, what to observe and might happen. Then, we had a session on where the hairs will be transplanted onto, e.g., the design of hairline. And they were marked with marker pen on the scalp, and they were said to be used as guiding during the actual transplanted. Then, I had my procedure after taking 5 tablets of PREDNISOLONE, and another two white tablets of medicine (cannot remember what it was), and a needle poking into vein of my left hand continuing supplying a kind of liquid throughout the whole procedure. I was lying face down on a bed that has a hole just nice to house my face; it was comfortable. For most of the time that I was conscious (I think I fell asleep for a while during the procedure), I do not notice that Dr. R. Sundarason was there performing the procedure nor giving supervision; I was quite worry. There were three lady staffs, and it appeared to me that they were the ones doing the procedure. The three ladies were very nice and friendly. The pain was mild. The procedure started at around 10:30am and ended at around 5pm. They gave me sandwich for lunch and toilet break.

After the procedure, my head was bandaged to prevent dislodgement of the transplanted hair graft for 48 hours, and I was given a hat to put on top to camouflage the bandage, and advised not to drive. And I was given 4 sets of medicine. They are:

1) PREDNISOLONE (for anti- inflamation/swelling),

2) AMOCLA (Antibiotic),

3) SYNFLEX (Pain Killer),

4) Dormicum (sleeping pill).

Thinkfly,

Thank you for sharing the details of you procedure. It's a bit concerning that you didn't see the doctor there during the procedure. Hair restoration procedures do require the assistance of hair technicians, which may have been the three individuals you saw, but the doctor is still a huge part of the procedure - especially in follicular unit extraction (FUE) cases.

I've also never heard of your specific physician, but you can use the search function on the boards to do additional research if you like.

Please keep us updated on your progress. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Two days after the procedure. The bandage was removed, and the lady staff cleaned off the antibiotic cream that was applied onto. She said that my condition is good. After that, she placed two clothes crossed onto my head before putting the hat on again. This is to prevent the transplanted hairs from sticking onto the hat, and being pulled out when removing the hat. She advised me to use tissue paper for this purpose. Other important things to follow are:

1) Some of the hairs are now stuck onto the scalp. I should not try to easy them off the scalp.

2) I should not wash my hair until the 4th day after the surgery.

3) For the first 14 days of hair washing, it should be very gentle. I should not let high pressure water sprayed directly onto the transplanted areas. The water should be very gently onto it. And I should not apply shampoo directly onto them. Instead, I should apply the lather onto them, and only light tapping onto them is allowed. As for the donor sides, I can use finger to rub them gently and make sure that they are keep clean. No combing of hairs is allowed for the first 14 days.

4) I should not do intensive exercise. This is to prevent accidently rubbing the transplanted areas.

5) After some time (10-14 days), the existing hairs on the scalp will grow and they will push up the crusts formed at the vicinity of the transplanted grafts. Do not use hand to remove them. Instead, I can use olive oil apply onto the head for an hour, and them wash them away using shampoo. The olive oil will smooth the scalp and help to remove the crusts.

6) At any instant if the transplanted grafts appear to come off or bleeding, do not rub them. Instead, use fingers press onto them for a few minutes, and this will stop the bleeding. Then apply cold running water over it. If necessary, consult the doctor again.

7) She advised me to take off the hat while at home.

There was slight pain on the donor sides, and itchy scalp. When I removed the tissue paper that was covering my donor areas, I observed that there were yellowish and dotted blood stains on it. There is one important point to note; I feel that the hat given by the clinical is very good. It is just nice, not too tight nor too loose. I feel that too tight might cause excessive pressure on the surgery areas, and might increase the changes of bleeding.

Thinkfly, the doctors are not present for a great part of the surgery. In my case, the doctor did only the donor strip extraction and made the incisions in the recipient area. The techs planted all the grafts - I do not recall the doctor planting any of the grafts.

So what you experienced was perfectly normal - the doctor is not around for the major portion of the surgery.

Btw, I have never heard of your doctor. Where is he located? If you don't mind my asking, how much did he charge per graft for the FUE procedure?

You should look a lot better over the next several months, as your new hair starts growing. Good luck!

Forrest Gump,

You're definitely correct, during a Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) procedure, the physician's role can be somewhat reduced -especially if the doctor utilizes a large team of technicians and doesn't personally implant any grafts. However, I do take issue with a few items thinkfly mentioned:

1. He indicates that he does not recall Dr Sundarason's presence at all during the procedure (if I'm misinterpreting this, I apologize).

2. Because he underwent Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), in theory, the doctor should have been present to extract each of the 1000 transplanted grafts. To me, this commitment requires even more time in the procedural room, and an increased chance thinkfly would have noticed the doctor's presence.

Regardless, it seems like you are healing well thinkfly. Thank you for keeping us updated, and please continue to do so!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 4 weeks later...

hi thinkfly, can i check with your decision to get the HT done under Dr Sundarason? I mean, S'pore has renowned doctors i am not disputing that fact, but since u have found this forum ( i assumed u did find this site before undergoing HT ). Not questioning your decision or anything, just curious how u made the choice!

thanks!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• 5 months later...

hairy, i don't think thinkfly is on this forum frequently so i suspect u wun get any answer?

If i m not wrong, are u from Singapore? If so, i would recommend u to look for Dr Pat in Bangkok. Do a detailed search in this forum and learn more about the recommended docs on this site who have displayed consistently good results.

HT is nvr a laughing matter and its best if u can get a one pass to solve the issue once and for all, hence selecting a good physician is by far the most important

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• 3 weeks later...

Hi wb280,

Thanks for the sound advise. Indeed after a thorough research, Dr Path is the 1st choice for HT in Asia and I have made an appointment with him in Feb 2011. If everything goes well, I will have my HT done by him on the 2nd day.

Hello,just to reasssure you.Ive had my second and third strip with Dr.Path.2900 graphs then 2700 graphs.

Dr.Path and his team are on the ball right through the op.

He doesnt bullshit and knows exactly what is possible ,safely and his aftercare is awesome also.

He can do the smallest incisions and make great hairlines look so natural.

Wish id met him for my first op which was a disater in the u.k. clinic who sold me lies then more lies then left me with a huge 1 cm donor scar that Dr.Path has now filled in nicely to disguise.

Bangkok is a great place to recover,as you can wonder around the markets and plenty of shopping mals to keep your head cool and safe post op.

If you need any advice on dR.path clinic or Hotls etc etc,im avail to contact.

cheers all.