Shaving one's beard after a beard-to-scalp transplant?

Posted (edited)

I am planning a transplant that will include beard to be implanted to the scalp.

Doctor tells me I will not be able to shave (electric rasor) my beard donor  area (under the chin, moustach, chin, cheeks) for three weeks after the surgery and refrain from exposing it to sunlight for about 2 weeks.

What is your experience with this?

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Broni

I personally shaved at 2 weeks with no problem with an electric trimmer and with a number 1 with a plastic guard 3mm,  but best to follow your own clinics recommendations. All the best for you surgery and see how you heal. Be careful with spots and any skin elevation so not to make anything bleed and use a guard to buffer things while healing. Beard area usually does heal fast and well but can have variation from patient to patient and also the expertise of your surgeon, tools used etc. 

Doctor was taking hair only from beard under the chin.
I could definitely shave it after 1-2 weeks. Beard heals very fast.
However, I was having something like acne under the chin for a very long time (a couple of months). In that case it is harder to shave.

19 minutes ago, Ricky12 said:

However, I was having something like acne under the chin for a very long time (a couple of months). In that case it is harder to shave.

I don't shave with a blade but with an electric shaver so as to make it look like a 3-day beard, is this less iritaging?

Also, does one have to wear a mask in order not to expose donor beard area to the sun?

3 hours ago, Broni said:

I don't shave with a blade but with an electric shaver so as to make it look like a 3-day beard, is this less iritaging?

Also, does one have to wear a mask in order not to expose donor beard area to the sun?

Yes, electric shaver is better. Those were just bumps similar to acne on face, not results of irritation.

No one told me to wear any mask.

• Valued Contributor
7 hours ago, Broni said:

I am planning a transplant that will include beard to be implanted to the scalp.

Doctor tells me I will not be able to shave (electric rasor) my beard donor  area (under the chin, moustach, chin, cheeks) for three weeks after the surgery and refrain from exposing it to sunlight for about 2 weeks.

What is your experience with this?

Thanks a bunch.

Three weeks for anything post HT is about right: sports, shaving/buzzing etc. 

In terms of sunlight… You’d have to be doing something pretty spectacular to expose the underside of your chin/neck to the sun! You’ll be fine. Don’t overthink it. 

20 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Three weeks for anything post HT is about right: sports, shaving/buzzing etc. 

In terms of sunlight… You’d have to be doing something pretty spectacular to expose the underside of your chin/neck to the sun! You’ll be fine. Don’t overthink it. 

Thanks, but what if beard from moustache and chin is used? Unfortunately I seem to have the bulk of my beard on these spots. I suppose that is why it needs to be protected.

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, Broni said:

Thanks, but what if beard from moustache and chin is used? Unfortunately I seem to have the bulk of my beard on these spots. I suppose that is why it needs to be protected.

It will heal up in just two or three weeks. Unless you were planning to sunbathe straight after your surgery I’m sure you’ll be ok!

Thanks a bunch guys.

Now, here are a couple of pictures of my beard. I guess it's not the thickest, but what do you think it could give in terms of grafts?

My donor is at the brink and I am planning one final surgery to thicken the midscalp.

This is after about 4 days of not shaving...

thumbnail_P1240211.jpg

thumbnail_P1240187.jpg

thumbnail_P1240183.jpg

This is salt and pepper so probably your scalp will follow suit. Go for 1k spread as an overflow additional  to the scalp donor and see how you heal and how it all comes in and it will then determine next surgeries on how much you feel confident to take. All the best. 

4 minutes ago, laverita said:

This is salt and pepper so probably your scalp will follow suit. Go for 1k spread as an overflow additional  to the scalp donor and see how you heal and how it all comes in and it will then determine next surgeries on how much you feel confident to take. All the best. 

Thanks. This will be my fifth and last surgery. Problem is, I don't believe I have more than 500-1000 scalp donor left before ruining the donor visually. So it has to be a 50-50 spread for midscalp and frontal third, one session...

3 minutes ago, laverita said:

Okay.. Go for a 50/50 and get 2k. So you did 5 but you still need to work on the frontal third? Must be an interesting story! 

If I understand correctly, you think that the this beard can yield a thousand grafts?

I have had different opinions ranging from 300 to 800:)

• Moderators

I was shaving my beard every day with a razor after 6 days. It did get irritated for a couple of weeks, so it is better to wait a few weeks if you can.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Broni said:

If I understand correctly, you think that the this beard can yield a thousand grafts?

I have had different opinions ranging from 300 to 800:)

I think you have well over 1000. The gray hairs always make it look thinner than it is.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Your beard has never been touched and they say 300?..Your eyebrows probably have more than 300 follicular units in them.  If they truly say your beard has 300 then really forget it because it will give little to the scalp,  but I would say get another opinion. A virgin beard and even keeping under chin should easily get to the numbers we are talking.  How many hairs are they saying you have on the beard and what is the percentage they will take? Your clinic should be able to map it out and get accurate density readings and go from there. Really can't see it being that low.  All the best though. 

4 hours ago, laverita said:

Your beard has never been touched and they say 300?..Your eyebrows probably have more than 300 follicular units in them.  If they truly say your beard has 300 then really forget it because it will give little to the scalp,  but I would say get another opinion. A virgin beard and even keeping under chin should easily get to the numbers we are talking.  How many hairs are they saying you have on the beard and what is the percentage they will take? Your clinic should be able to map it out and get accurate density readings and go from there. Really can't see it being that low.  All the best though. 

The one that said 300 didn't really pay attention and I think it was more about him being reluctant to do it, since back then I still had scalp donor. The actual surgeon told me "700 easily" bearing in mind that the last surgery is planned to include more or less about the same number of scalp grafts. In theory, I am aware that more beard grafts can be taken, but it's a question of decision on the spot, e.g. if they will want to harvest my chin and moustache or just under the chin, ect.

On on the other hand, I understand that beard hairs are singles, but since they are thicker than hair grafts, can one say that a beard graft is tantamount to a double-hair grafts in my case - I can't say of course if my beard is thick or not, probably average?

Beard is usually thicker and can have a lot of doubles also. Moustache more so is coarser and not used so much. Go to a clinic who is really comfortable and has a track record on using body hair. It seems you have a fair bit of surgery and I am not sure of the outcomes but really go to an expert and someone who is really comfortable with this.

6 hours ago, laverita said:

Beard is usually thicker and can have a lot of doubles also. Moustache more so is coarser and not used so much. Go to a clinic who is really comfortable and has a track record on using body hair. It seems you have a fair bit of surgery and I am not sure of the outcomes but really go to an expert and someone who is really comfortable with this.

My transplants with this surgeon have all been satisfactory, so I am hoping for the best for the beard grafts. What do you think - how can one compare the thickness of beard grafts to the one of hairs? Is it like the double? Since you are mentioning moustache (in my case it is the densest area, along with the chin), it seems to be rarely used as donor, is it because of the excessive flexibility of the skin? Because if the grafts are coarse, it could be good for some areas because it will be mixed with hair grafts anyway...

Skin flexibility is not an issue here,. it is less than other areas and more so if the patient is carrying weight. Moustache is very coarse and not needed for most, more so if the beard has not even been touched. It is probably at least double but depends on your scalp. Some can have fine scalp hair and much coarser but your clinic should know what they are doing and harvest in peripheral areas if they want finer to ensure a better blend.  Glad you have had a good outcome so far, that can give you confidence in this one and hope it all goes well. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, laverita said:

Skin flexibility is not an issue here,. it is less than other areas and more so if the patient is carrying weight. Moustache is very coarse and not needed for most, more so if the beard has not even been touched. It is probably at least double but depends on your scalp. Some can have fine scalp hair and much coarser but your clinic should know what they are doing and harvest in peripheral areas if they want finer to ensure a better blend.  Glad you have had a good outcome so far, that can give you confidence in this one and hope it all goes well. 

Thanks, surgeon is fairly known on this forum and very competent, since my donor is depleted but for another 800-1000 grafts at most, I am hoping to add some density to the frontal third with the beard. Thanks again for your encouragement!

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

The number of beard grafts you can extract comes down to the skill and experience of the surgeon doing the work. Looking at those pics I would say that you could harvest up to 2K beard and mustache grafts. I’ve had in total 8,400 beard grafts extracted. Each time I had surgery I was shaving a week later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

The number of beard grafts you can extract comes down to the skill and experience of the surgeon doing the work. Looking at those pics I would say that you could harvest up to 2K beard and mustache grafts. I’ve had in total 8,400 beard grafts extracted. Each time I had surgery I was shaving a week later. 

Thanks! Is there perhaps a general rule as to the length of the beard pre-surgery, i.e. the need to shave a specific number of days before or anything of the sort?

Also, since I see you have a lot of experience with it, is there any specific hazard related to beard graft extraction? Nerve damage or some kind of irreversible skin rash or what not God forbid?

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Broni said:

Thanks! Is there perhaps a general rule as to the length of the beard pre-surgery, i.e. the need to shave a specific number of days before or anything of the sort?

Also, since I see you have a lot of experience with it, is there any specific hazard related to beard graft extraction? Nerve damage or some kind of irreversible skin rash or what not God forbid?

I left my beard for about a week before I went for surgery each time. If extracted homogeneously, their should be no scarring from the beard donor area, especially for the number of grafts you are looking at. It's surprising how quickly the contracture rate is. All the best.

• Moderators

I have to go at least 5 days without shaving for the hair to grow long enough for a transplant 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)