Body hair in a hair transplant

Hi everyone,

it is new news to me that body hair and beard hair can be used in a hair transplant and onto the scalp.

I vaguely remember (and this is what I want correction on) that when body hair or beard hair is transplanted onto the scalp, the beard/body hair follicle will actually grow longer or slightly different now that it is on the scalp compared to when it is in its original place on the body/face, is this true?

if it isn’t true, how can body hair be used effectively as it is pretty limited in how long it will grow?

• Moderators

I have had about 6475 beard and chest hair grafts transplanted to my scalp over the past 10 years. The breakdown is approximately 3350 from my beard and 3125 from my chest. It does eventually start to grow more like scalp hair but it takes 2 to 3 years of slowly changing until it’s not very noticeable. I think the beard hair blends better than chest hair. It actually grows longer and faster than my native scalp hair now. It’s not all the same though. Some hairs have completely become like scalp hair and you would never be able to tell while I still have a few stubborn hairs that still grow wiry and kinky. Most of it is somewhere in between, growing more like scalp hair than beard and chest hair, but not completely. Overall though you really wouldn’t know it all came from places other than my scalp. 

• Like 4

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Interesting topic and I have seen recipient dominance happen in that the Anagen phase changes over time and it can take probably even years for this. Beard has a long Anagen phase regardless so probably it is more of a chest, leg, arm hair question. As said above it is a question of time and I have also seen patients have scalp to eyebrow transplants and report not needing to trim their eyebrows anymore when for years they were having to trim as the scalp hair was noticeably longer than the eyebrows and then after some years normalised. Recipient dominance does not seem to imply the hair becomes DHT susceptible but more the growth phases can change and then subsequently the hair length. 

There is more to this though for a patient considering body hair and also colour, curl, coarseness etc as mentioned in the video are also factors to consider. If you are on a dht blocker you may also find your body hair, chest, arms, legs can weaken. 

Hmm, my head hair is a light brown, my facial hair is orange and my chest hair is black, does this mean I won’t be able to use my beard and chest hair with Dr Felipe or Zarev?

=(

3 hours ago, Shesayshesay said:

Hmm, my head hair is a light brown, my facial hair is orange and my chest hair is black, does this mean I won’t be able to use my beard and chest hair with Dr Felipe or Zarev?

=(

why not, could make a cool look

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

My scalp hair is brown turning grey, my beard is mostly white and my chest is dark brown quickly turning white. I simply color my hair light brown every 5-6 weeks. Eventually when all of the hair in the scalp turns white I will stop coloring it. All the best. 🙏

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

why not, could make a cool look

41 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

My scalp hair is brown turning grey, my beard is mostly white and my chest is dark brown quickly turning white. I simply color my hair light brown every 5-6 weeks. Eventually when all of the hair in the scalp turns white I will stop coloring it. All the best. 🙏

You guys are great. You all have been very supportive and have given me information that has given me a glimmer of hope in the future with a situation that has mentally strained me.

Thank you.

• Like 1

interesting subject.  the only problem is that not enough doctors have these skills. many don't even want to use body/beardhair….there are indeed a few of which Pittela is the best (but then you also have to pay a considerable amount)