Are megasessions really safe?

helloz,

most of the coalition doctors do not perform mega-sessions ..and they have limited their capability to only 3500 grafts or maximum 4000 grafts however few docs do perform mega-sessions which can go up to say 5000 plus.whats the reason ---why all "Members Of Coalition Panel" do not perform Mega-session?.Are mega sessions not safe and successful because of limited blood supply etc.explain all..i know docs in here recommended do perform mega sessions and their patients have great results but why do other doctors limit themselves?.

helloz,

most of the coalition doctors do not perform mega-sessions ..and they have limited their capability to only 3500 grafts or maximum 4000 grafts however few docs do perform mega-sessions which can go up to say 5000 plus.whats the reason ---why all "Members Of Coalition Panel" do not perform Mega-session?.Are mega sessions not safe and successful because of limited blood supply etc.explain all..i know docs in here recommended do perform mega sessions and their patients have great results but why do other doctors limit themselves?.

I HUMBLY REQUEST ALL DOCTORS OF COALITION MEMBER TO ANSWER MY QUESTION AND GIVE REASONS WHY THEY DONT DO MEGA-SESSIONS.THIS IS A VERY BIG THING...MEGA-SESSION MEANS LESS SURGERIES AND LESS PAIN.EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

bllorayne,

Despite what you may have heard, sessions larger than 2500 grafts are still considered "megasessions" today.

There are a number of factors that go into deciding whether or not a patient is a candidate for a megasession and it is true that some physicians won't take as long or as wide of a strip as other physicians. The reasons why vary from patient to patient.

That said, all Coalition members are regularly performing megasessions when appropriate for the patient. There are varying philosophies on donor harvesting, "safe" session sizes, and donor scarring in addition to considering the size and experience of the staff working alongside each surgeon.

I hope this helps give you a broader picture of megasessions and helps explain why your question isn't the right one to ask.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by bllorayne:

I HUMBLY REQUEST ALL DOCTORS OF COALITION MEMBER TO ANSWER MY QUESTION...

dude, you posted your question like 2 mins ago. I seriously doubt their all in some conference room contemplating their answers as we speak.

Delicately helping those fragile souls who suffer from hair loss, w/motherly nourishment & care.

bllorayne,

I have a few thoughts on the matter, but in the interest of full disclosure, I have to forewarn you that I'm NOT currently in The Coalition, although I have aspirations to be, I can't currently find the application form on HTN. I like to think of The Coalition as a big, beautiful peacock. When gazed upon from a distance it's a colorful collage of fantastic proportions; a surreal splendor for the senses, causing all w/in its path to gaze in wonder. Upon closer scrutiny one finds unique variations among the feathers, various nuances if you will. Some of the feathers are brighter, bolder, & bigger, thereby drawing more attention than the rest. Other feathers are less pronounced. There are many flavors of the feather, but one will not flavor them all. When evaluating the peacock one would be wise to choose a feather that fits their unique fancies.

If your question is out of concern for the safety & consistency of megasessions, then I give you indisputable, demonstrable evidence from the mouths' of the maestro's themselves:

http://www.hassonandwong.com/h...ransplant-videos.php

Megasessions aren't some new experimental procedure, far from it. There are thousands of documented cases showing consistent results that have w/stood the test of time. I can't say why some of the smaller feathers don't perform as large as sessions as the larger feathers. It's purely SPECULATIVE but it's possible some of them don't believe in their use or haven't evolved at the same rate as the other feathers. Why, just last night I was watching a documentary about Amish people, a fantastic sect of society! They don't believe in the use of: electricity, telephones, automobiles. They believe their use is nefarious. I sat in my air conditioned condo, watching in wonder on my 100 inch plasma tv, calling all of my friends on my cell phone about their nobel deeds. I drove around in my SUV for hours marveling at them. I was even inclined to join the Amish, but I couldn't find their website. My point is, the Amish are just as valuable to society as the rest of the members, they merely subscribe to a different set of practices. So, the question becomes which feather best suits your individual needs. I really don't see how the unique variations of specialties among the feathers really matters. They are all world class feathers. Pick a feather from the peacock that fits your fancy.

Delicately helping those fragile souls who suffer from hair loss, w/motherly nourishment & care.

The biggest risk with a 4000K+ session is the scar stretching, the results from the top clinics that are able to do mega sessions are consistently good.

The reason some do them and some don't is down to staff size. H+W and Feller etc have a big staff to call on that do shifts of planting the grafts on a patient, they also have more techs cutting the strip and preparing the grafts, so it stands to reason that they can plant more grafts in a day then clinics with a smaller set up.

Some Docs may say they don't think it's safe to plant more than 2500, but imo it's more a case of them not being able to plant more than that in a day.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

At this point obviously, there are successful. H & W themselves have a very high number of megasessions in their portfolio.

Just because everyone donesn't do them does not mean they are not a viable option for the rare few who have those characteristics who enable them to benefit.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Looks like I am going to be the first Doc to take a stab at this one. The answer to this question is quite complex. It would depend on what physician was performing the surgery. Meaning does a particular Hair Restoration Surgeon and their staff have the actual capability of carrying out a procedure of greater than 4000 Follicular Unit Grafts in a reasonable period of time. As important, does the patient really have the donor hair density and scalp laxity? If all of the above is true there are still many other factors that should be considered. How large is the area in which the grafts are to be transplanted into? Would the patient prefer to have 5000 grafts placed into a specific area and have 4000 grafts actually grow hairs. That is an 80% success rate. Or would they prefer to have 4000 grafts placed into that same area and 3800 grow successfully? Giving a 95% success rate. Saving those other 1000 follicular units for later if needed. Is the physician really giving that patient those large number of grafts? It is awfully hard to go back and count. Another important point is that in order to get these large number of follicular units in a single session the surgeon must take out a large strip of donor tissue. There certainly is a greater chance of leaving a larger donor scar. Has the patient been notified of this possibility. I hope so. The list just goes on and on. I will leave it here and wait for some responses. later.

Dr. Charles,

What do you think of Dr. Wong (Hasson & Wong)? He seems to do huge mega sessions with an excellent success rating. I never read one H/T complain on him and he usually performs 5,000-7,000 plus grafts in one session. With your estimated percentage of survival grafts it seems like he would only average 80% success rating. Thanks!

I think what I said may have been misinterpreted. I did not say that in every large session of 5000 follicular units or more there will be a 20% loss. It has a lot to do with how large of an area you are putting those 5000 grafts and the techniques used. The point I was trying to make is that if you try to squeeze to many follicular units into too small an area there may be a lower percentage of successful growth. By the way I have been to visit my friends Dr. Wong and Dr. Hasson in Vancouver and they perform excellent hair restoration surgeries. They have a very large staff with tons of experience. Because they perform these large cases on a regular basis I am confident they have a higher success rate than some of the clinics who rarely do cases of this magnitude.

have a few thoughts on the matter, but in the interest of full disclosure, I have to forewarn you that I'm NOT currently in The Coalition, although I have aspirations to be, I can't currently find the application form on HTN.

Ron,

I'm confused. Are you a patient or physician? There is no indication in your forum signature that you are or work with a hair restoration clinic.

Please read our terms of service and if you are affliated with a hair restoration clinic, please list them and list your affiliation with them in your signature - without linking to them.

If your physician(s) is interested in being considered for potential recommendation, freel free to contact me privately to begin our prescreening process.

Bill

I WANT JETRONICS OR H&W HIMSELF COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE BECAUSE THERE IS A SPECULATION THAT IN A MEGA SESSION ALMOST 20% OF THE GRAFTS ARE LOST DUE TO LESS BLOOD SUPPLY AND INADEQUATE AVAILABILITY OF SPACE.

Ron,

I'm confused. Are you a patient or physician? There is no indication in your forum signature that you are or work with a hair restoration clinic

Bill, in case you havent noticed Ronj is joker. I think he's just trying to be funny.

bllorayne, Looks like your back to using all CAPITAL letters. Come on man you can get your point accross with out emphasizing EVERY WORD!

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Ron,

I'm confused. Are you a patient or physician? There is no indication in your forum signature that you are or work with a hair restoration clinic.

My apologies if I caused any confusion, allow me to clarify. I am undergoing a non accredited, self-instructed, home school medical exploration study. The syllabus, entitled 'From Fruits to Follicles', currently limits the scope of my practices to various fruits w/a broader objective of applying the concepts to lab rats. My personal expertise is the cantaloupe (& an occasional dabbling on the coconut when the season permits) on which my proprietary 'CHOP 'N DICE' incision is being perfected, incidentally the subjects serve as a wonderful garnish on most breakfasts.

In short, I am not a physician nor am I affiliated w/one. Just a boy w/a dream. I should have been clearer in my original post. My apologies.