Dr. Peter Panagotacos

Tom HairLoss

• 9 months later...

I an a 49 year old very active male. I went to Dr. Panagotacos over 10 years ago, I had him do my transplants not because of his aditude but because he is the best!! you want it your way go to Burger king. I cant beleave the remarkes I read Re; the Doctor. The work he did for me is top shelf! so what if you dont like his aditude. He does great work. and Re: him not doing all the work, what about the other Doctors? Bossley, and the rest you think they dont have helpers? how can one man do it all. If you ask me. I love the guy, his price was rite and he did a great job. that is all I wanted and I got my moneys worth. Thank you for listening. Bill Eck

I have been speaking to a recent "customer" of his via telephone who is very depressed about his "results",problems with pitting low growth unrealistic expectations given to him etc.. He is now getting repair work done on a 1 year old mini graft H/T with a state of the art doctor.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Mahair do you have any thoughts on who is best of Rose,Shapiro or Cooley? Or anyone else you feel is best for a first timer.

I have consult w/ Dr. Cooley next week. His site says he uses dissolvable sutures for donor area. I question that. There would not be the clearly defined time that sutures would have before being removed as with typical sutures. I wonder if that couldn't present complications.

I will ask him about his approach to hairlines, see how he differs from Shapiro on that.

I had phone consult w/ Matt at Shapiro's.I did not feel that he listened to me instead chose to do the talking.That makes me nervous. I pressed him about density and how on Shapiro site they speak of 20-25 grafts per sq cm in bald areas.That could not possibly create a denseness that I desire w/ 35-40 minimum. ( IMO)I wonder about that as well.

thinking,

Dr. Cooley does not use just dissolvable sutures. Some of his out-of-town patients prefer to use them so they don't have to travel back to the clinic or make other arrangements to get the sutures removed. I was given standard sutures in my experience with him.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

By the way, thinking, what day are you going to your consultation with Dr. Cooley? I ask because I need to head up that way anyway and I could possibly get to meet you while there.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thinking,I don't like the idea of phone consults as you really need to be seen in person by the doctor for a true evaluation.You are right on with the 20-25 graft per sq.cm. thing ,why bother.I beleive Dr. Shapiro shoots for 40-45 I wonder if Matt was refering to a realy bald area for the first pass?.Even though this is a pain I would make the trip to see Dr.Shapiro in person and ask your questions and convey your concerns to him not Matt.This is the most important decision of your life.If I was going to do it all over when I was an actual candidate I would go to Shapiro, nothing against the other two real doctors you mentioned.I am impressed with your dillegence and educating yourself on this subject, even with that if something does'nt sit just right even with a top doc don't do it.Even the fact that you reasearched and recieved the best hairtransplant in the world it is of little consolation if it was'nt what you expected.I would also suggest that you see actual patients in person up close before taking the final step.If you do all these things there is little chance of you being dissapointed.This is the formula for a truly successful H/t.

Mahair is right. Nothing takes the place of a personal consultation.

I also offered to meet up with you at Dr. Cooley's office so you can have a chance to see my results. This will give you a chance to see at least one if his patients in real life.

-Robert

Robert,

thank you for that kind offer. I think that that would be very helpful. Unfortunately, an unexpected fly in the ointment presented itself just this evening and I am going to have to postpone that consult. I will email Dr. Cooley's office this weekend and call Monday to try and reschedule.

Hopfully I will be able to get in the following week. Thursday or Friday would be best for me but I am a little flexible.

Thank you again for that offer and I hope that I can take you up on that. I can let you know here as soon as I have rescheduled if you like.

Mahair, thank you for all your suggestions and information. From your pain you are helping a lot of people. I respect you for that.

thinking,

No problem, man. Believe me, I remember what its like looking and searching. This forum already owes a lot to you because of the threads you have started and issues you have raised. The resulting discussions will be available for view for hundreds of future hair loss sufferers to learn from.

Just send me a private message and I should be able to schedule accordingly (working from home has that kind of benefit icon_smile.gif)

-Robert

On the dissolvable sutures issue. Dr. Cooley gave me dissolvable sutures, and they worked just fine. My donor area healed well...and I have a hard time finding the scar. He does excellent work.

Although, I hate to spend my time chatting on the web, I would like to address a few comments that were made by some patients about Dr. Panagotacos. I am myself a doctor in Sciences and dislike, no HATE, loosing my time with trivial and repetitive questions or issues that once been answered/addressed find their way back into a conversation. First, if I go see any MD, it is because my preliminary research shows that that MD is competent in his/her field of expertise. One that basis I expect him or her to answer my questions or address my issues. However, once a question is asked and answered why coming back to it? Is it because the answer I received would not fit with my apriori expectations? Why should I bother someone busy with redundant questions? This would only demonstrate an obvious lack of intelligence on my part and show a lack of respect toward- here Dr. Panagotacos- by questioning his knowledge! I would not like him to question my professional knowledge and I return the same respect.

A few patients are obviously unable to perform the most basic critical thinking and become upset if they are not catered like a student in middle school! I would simply say to those that they should start to use the few neurons that have left intact in their brain and accept that someone might be more competent than themselves in a given field of expertise.

As far as I am concerned, I only would praise Dr. Panagotacos for its (medical) diagnostic ability, his ever-present will of trying to find the best and most economical solution to one's medical problem, his straightforward approach, and the time he spend trying to educate patients on hair loss or dermatologic-related issues. After all his is a dermatologist and his is not trying to run for the Senate or the California Governor!

What is foremost important (to me) is the cake before the icing, yet too many people tend to look at the icing and forget that excessive icing often conceals a mediocre desert!

deinonychus,

Just like your username, the extinct dinosaur, your views toward the patient are also outdated and extinct. This is especially true when it comes to elective cosmetic surgery. Your pompous and dismissive attitude exhibit the exact reason that so many laymen are frustrated with many in the medical community.

The issue I take with your post really has nothing to do with Dr. Panagotacos. It has more to do with the fact that you are actually frustrated that a potential patient for invasive surgery wants to be clear on the facts before he/she undertakes it. Especially sad is how you refer to explaining nuances and details of a life changing procedure as having to be "catered like a student in middle school!"

Let me address your post more appropriately:

"Although, I hate to spend my time chatting on the web,"

Ok. Lesson one in attempting to make a point in which you want the reader to see it from your view: Don't give backhanded insults on how this person chooses perform his/her research! Thousands of hair loss suffers have used this forum and others to search for viable solutions to thier problems. Your first snotty sentence immediately set the negative tone of your entire post. However, by all means Doctor, continue...

"I am myself a doctor in Sciences and dislike, no HATE, loosing my time with trivial and repetitive questions or issues that once been answered/addressed find their way back into a conversation."

Hm. Where to begin? Let's see... First of all a "doctor in Sciences icon_rolleyes.gif " would almost certainly hold himself to a higher standard of conduct than the average Joe.

Maybe details covered in the conversation are everyday, common items to you, but were never even thought about by the person for whom you are consulting. Let's get this straight; you tire of someone asking repeatedly, for clarification, what the details of surgery are??? Are you mad??? Just because a patient has not been to medical school you dismiss their questions as unimportant and a waste of a physicians' time! It is just that sort of attitude by doctors that make this forum so imperative. I am appalled that you feel that patient questions are unnecessary and trivial and put you in a position that you are "loosing my time." By the way, doctor, the word is spelled, "losing."

"First, if I go see any MD, it is because my preliminary research shows that that MD is competent in his/her field of expertise."

And...? I can look online at a half dozen different internet sites and see all kinds of credentials for doctors posted everywhere. Then, I can come here and do a quick search and quickly find that these same "doctors" have maimed patients. They have caused them severe trauma physically and emotionally through their reckless behavior. Until a potential patient has exhausted all means of research he/she should NEVER feel complacent about elective surgery. These means of research include, but are not limited to: asking previous patients online about thier experiences, seeing previous patient photos, seeing previous patients IN PERSON, asking questions thoroughly in the consultation with the physician, etc. This kind of procedure should never be rushed.

"One that basis I expect him or her to answer my questions or address my issues. However, once a question is asked and answered why coming back to it? Is it because the answer I received would not fit with my apriori expectations? Why should I bother someone busy with redundant questions?"

A physician deals with this situation every day. What may be redundant and even simple in his/her field is new and intimidating to someone on the outside looking in. When you go to your financial advisor, do you not ask questions? Do you not sometimes need clarification? The same goes with your dentist, your home builder, your lawyer...

"This would only demonstrate an obvious lack of intelligence on my part and show a lack of respect toward- here Dr. Panagotacos- by questioning his knowledge! I would not like him to question my professional knowledge and I return the same respect."

An ethical physician realizes my above point and will gladly take the time with the potential patient to address their concerns. Your "lack of intelligence" quote is insulting, and I refuse to even address it. Perhaps the physician that finds patients questions annoying and insulting would be more comfortable in another field. Proctology comes to mind as a suitable substitute.

"A few patients are obviously unable to perform the most basic critical thinking and become upset if they are not catered like a student in middle school! I would simply say to those that they should start to use the few neurons that have left intact in their brain and accept that someone might be more competent than themselves in a given field of expertise."

A few physicians are obviously unable to fathom that it is ultimately the patients' decision to utilize their services or not. Like it or not, doctor, surgical hair restoration is an elective procedure. I am confident that this same patient will be more than happy to leave the clinic in question and take their questions - and money - elsewhere.

"As far as I am concerned, I only would praise Dr. Panagotacos for its (medical) diagnostic ability, his ever-present will of trying to find the best and most economical solution to one's medical problem, his straightforward approach, and the time he spend trying to educate patients on hair loss or dermatologic-related issues. After all his is a dermatologist and his is not trying to run for the Senate or the California Governor!"

Perhaps if you were as eloquent in your writing as you were adamant about being wrong, I could decipher what point it is you are attempting to make here. Unfortunately you are not so I cannot.

"What is foremost important (to me) is the cake before the icing, yet too many people tend to look at the icing and forget that excessive icing often conceals a mediocre desert!"

This is the single worst simile ever presented in written word.

-Robert

I am myself a doctor in Sciences and dislike, no HATE, loosing my time with trivial and repetitive questions or issues that once been answered/addressed find their way back into a conversation.

I, unlike Robert, answer in the most simplest statements... You are a pompous ass!!

As a doctor in Sciences, as you state, I hope you are never mine. I worry that you would give half ass answers, because as you state, "loosing my time with trivial and repetitive questions or issues that once been answered/addressed find their way back into a conversation"

Here it is simple your Highness... Your a Jack Ass!

When I was a little girl (and once upon a time I was)my father told me that the only stupid question was one left unasked, repeatitively or not! If you do not understand something about what you are about to do then you are Notmaking an informed decision.

Bravo Robert!

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by HairBeThere:
I am myself a doctor in Sciences and dislike, no HATE, loosing my time with trivial and repetitive questions or issues that once been answered/addressed find their way back into a conversation.

I, unlike Robert, answer in the most simplest statements... You are a pompous ass!!

As a doctor in Sciences, as you state, I hope you are never mine. I worry that you would give half ass answers, because as you state, "loosing my time with trivial and repetitive questions or issues that once been answered/addressed find their way back into a conversation"

Here it is simple your Highness... Your a Jack Ass!

HBT, right on! I love it. Terry

Wow, now I know how to push your buttons. The gentleman was expressing himself ( albeit a little crudely). Perhaps he was in a bad mood or had a beer too many that afternoon/ evening.

Looking forward to his next diatribe.

well, statements here are written. And to state something like that with a proclaimed backgroud, call for absolute awareness. People should know that.

If you are ignored in your questions or given half ass answers, then look to a physician that wants you to understand.

Even if it is answered 8 times in 8 different ways. Ailene nailed it the best.

Ailene makes an excellent point.I thought I was asking great questions (and I did),unfortunately you also need to know *WHO* you are asking these questions to.I asked the "Dr." several times about complications and was told bluntly"There are none"and "There are'nt ANY" (M.D.s don't lie about something like that icon_rolleyes.gif)actually I was told by the consultant that I may get a "pimple", that was the worst of it, being such a benign procedure , given the expectations of "great results"(by the "Dr."as I had such great hair) and being told that this was a one time procedure .I made an "informed decision" based on what the "Dr." had told me.I guess rationalization is a big part of his make-up as a brick thrown through a stained glass window could be considered a "great result" and a complication would be outside of typical therefore,swelling,permenent shockloss,nerve damage,scarring,unnatural apearance,need for repeat surgeries,pain,black eyes,stretched long scar,lingering redness,scalp deformities were actually expected to happen by him therefore were not complications.But what about the anhydrosis ,tachycardia,seboreic dermatitis,vascular problems,facial wrinkles and rosatia I now suffer from are these complications "Dr." or just part of the unrealistic expectations that you infered that I had(in your mongoloid drawl)after you gave them to me?I took for granted that this*person* was an expert as he advertised himself as such and like dino-"Dr." suggested I did'nt question his *expert* opinion.I should have asked the $10hr. tech who told me I did'nt even need a transplant (after it was too late.).I guess she knew more than the "Dr.".

Yo Dr dinaSOURPUSS- Have a coke and a smile... icon_wink.gif

Thinking or anyone in California - if you are willing to travel try doing consults with the two doctors listed on this site, in San Diego. I had my HT done 3 days ago. I am amazed at how quickly I am feeling better, I guess I can say recovering!!! I am at this point very optomistic about the outcome. My expectations are not set extraordinarily high but - I don't have that "is it gonna work?" feeling I use to get with "snake oils", and with LASER LIGHT TREATMENT. Hmmm? icon_confused.gif I just realized not too many people have rally heard about LASER LIGHT TREATMENT, I'll post something in the Q&A section. But if it's your first HT (like me) do the research and LEAVE NO QUESTION UNASKED!! Right on AILENE!!

Shiny Side Up!!

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if you have been to Dr. Cooley's yet, but I am a patient of his. I started the same way you are by doing research here and everywhere else I could find. I started with Dr. Shapiro and Matt. I came away with about the same feeling as you. I first chose Dr. Shapiro because of his excellent reputation and skill but never got past Matt and a 4 1/2 month wait to get in to see the Dr. I next decided on Dr. Cooley. I got what I needed from Ailene and Dr. Cooley which also has excellent credentials and reputation. I am now a little over 5 months post op with Dr. Cooley and could not be more pleased with my results. Dr. Cooley spent whatever time I needed to answer my questions and concerns and made me feel comfortable with him his staff and MY procedure. I so far have gotten exactly what he told me to expect. He is very attentive with his artistic ability and took about 13 hours to do 2500 f/u grafts and never rushed and actually placed most of the grafts himself along with his assistant. I did get dissolveable sutures because I traveled to North Carolina from Nashville but he does both. My scar is very very hard to find unless you know exactly where it is. The other 2 Doctors you mentioned are top notch and would make excellent choices, but for me Dr. Cooley is my Doctor now and will be in any future procedures I decide I might want. I have a photo album on this site of my before and after shots and will update it soon with photos from now. You could not go wrong with any of these 3 surgeons but as for me, Dr. Cooley is #1. As for you Robert, at a boy with the pompas ass. I am glad that guy was not my Doc with his higher than thou atitude and you answered his assnine attitude in a most excellent way.

Nashville Kat.