Creatine

Dannywhufc

• Administrators

If you're taking an insane amount of creatine, it could raise your DHT levels. But the recommended dose shouldn't make a huge difference. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 minutes ago, Spring15 said:

I've seen way too many anecdotal reports to believe creatine doesn't accelerate hair loss in people prone to MPB

I agree - I believe my loss accelerated when on creatine. However, it's hard to split it from the result of hard training (which increases testosterone and therefore DHT).

• Like 1

I have seen some articles saying that creatine could accelerate hair loss for people who suffer from hair loss..but it would not affect people without hair loss problem. So it’s better not to take it if you are suffering from hair loss

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belve said:

I have seen some articles saying that creatine could accelerate hair loss for people who suffer from hair loss..but it would not affect people without hair loss problem. So it’s better not to take it if you are suffering from hair loss

Well I’m taking oral Dutasteride daily so hoping if was to start creatine it wouldn’t affect me?

46 minutes ago, Dannywhufc said:

Well I’m taking oral Dutasteride daily so hoping if was to start creatine it wouldn’t affect me?

If you are willing to take oral dutasterude which is very strong DHT blocker you will be ok with creatine..yeah. But if you’re not taking dht blockers  and you have hair loss don’t even try creatine

Edited by Belve

The most commonly known study that this whole school of thought derived from, demonstrated an increase in serum DHT of rugby players, I believe, after however many weeks it was of taking creatine. 

Regardless of whether one study is enough to conclude that this is the case or not - if creatine really does increase serum DHT, then this would only be an issue in the realms of hair loss for people (or follicles) who are susceptible to androgenetic alopecia - put short, it isn’t creatine itself that causes hair loss. 

OP - oral dutasteride is the most powerful 5AR inhibitor available. If you are taking this, regardless of what creatine does or doesn’t do, you are taking a medication that blocks the enzyme that ‘creates’ DHT. So unless Creatine somehow delivers pre made DHT into your blood stream (which it doesn’t) you are good to go, as you are essentially nullifying the opportunity for DHT to be reduced from testosterone. 

I take finesteride (not Dut). My logic was that since it decreases DHT by 70 odd percent, adding to my DHT probably wouldn't be the best idea. I'm probably being overly cautious, but since I'm definitely in the DHT sensitive category, I'd prefer not to risk it.

10 hours ago, JP28 said:

Do you guys have any thoughts on whey protein? Should we stay away as well? 

There’s a Dr in the UK who sells his own ‘hair safe’ protein formula because of this 😂 

What a world. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

I'm also keen to start creatine. I've been back in the gym for a solid month using protein powder and a very clean diet and my motivation is super high since my last surgery. Unfortunately I can't take finasteride due to the sides and I ceased taking it after 8 months two weeks ago and my libido is back like a fat kid on chocolate. I have a bottle of topical finsteride but I want to have a one month wash out before I start this (with concerns that it will go systemic). The oral 5mg minoxidil is working really well with no sides. I'm very tempted to buy some creatine but like others, I am really concerned about undoing all the great work of surgery. 🤔

• Like 1

The way creatine works, if it’s increasing your DHT, it’s not doing it directly. It’ll be because of an increase in testosterone (either by some mechanism which we’ve not yet identified, or because it’s assisting you with athletic performance which encourages greater T production). That’s not a bad thing at all - pretty much every bloke could do with an increase in naturally-produced T. 

People are pulling their hair out (pun intended) over ONE study, which appears rather poorly conducted on the analysis side, from two decades ago. 

If you’re taking fin, you shouldn’t be worried. If you’re not taking fin, you should be accepting that your hair will fall out regardless. 

• Like 1

I've been consistently working out for the last 10 years. But I definitely noticed increased hair loss during periods when I was doing a ton of lifting, using whey, and taking pre-workout (including creatine).

I'm already prone to AGA anyway, so take this FWIW.

12 minutes ago, DedLifts said:

I've been consistently working out for the last 10 years. But I definitely noticed increased hair loss during periods when I was doing a ton of lifting, using whey, and taking pre-workout (including creatine).

I'm already prone to AGA anyway, so take this FWIW.

Do you take any medication? 
I’m on duta fina and minox and don’t see any difference and I lift like a maniac and take prot and creatine… 10-15 days in the showers that’s it…

I think I’m just gonna take dht blood test so we’ll know once and for all if it does anything. 

1 minute ago, JP28 said:

Do you take any medication? 
I’m on duta fina and minox and don’t see any difference and I lift like a maniac and take prot and creatine… 10-15 days in the showers that’s it…

I think I’m just gonna take dht blood test so we’ll know once and for all if it does anything. 

For reference @Melvin- Moderatordid a podcast with @win200 and he was on test 1gram a week while taking fina and duta, the blood work for dht came back at like 15.

So I doubt that 5gr of creating would do anything.

• Thanks 1