Dr Zarev Consultation - Surgery in November 2024.

hairman22

Just back from my consultation with Dr Zarev with was very detailed & very informative.

This was a nerve racking consultation as I dont have a very good donor area at all & cannot use Propecia.

Firstly i described my hairloss progression & medication used, Showed photos of my father & maternal grandfather.

It was  stated I will possibly reach NW 5-6 in the future. My lateral humps are not thinning but even so considering i am 32 it is better to plan to reach NW 6 just in case.

- I used 2700 grafts previously by Dr Saifi & Dr Zarev said this is an issue with this part of the donor. 

- If possible it really is better for patients to not have previous surgeries as it limits the use of his technique in this important zone in the back of the head.

- Many surgeons using larger punches cause damage to the donor area.

- I have 3000 grafts left in this area with grafts that have average quality.

- If I did not have a previous surgery I would have had 14,000 grafts lefts so more than enough to cover my worse case scenario. My donor to me doesnt seem strong so this was very surprising.

-I have 9000 grafts left, 6000 from the sides of very good quality hairs, 3000 from the back of average quality but no retrogade alopecia.

- Beard & Body hair the doctor can use but he isnt a fan of doing this, Hairs are different texture. It is last resort to use this area. 

- He can extract 80% of donor in extreme cases,

- Showed me a case of 18,000 grafts in a NW 7. Donor looked very good considering he extracted 80%.

- He repaired 2 Nw7's with 10000 grafts with a high hairline both in 60's with terrible donor but he extracted 80% but it looked great.

- If things got very bad in future he would extract 80% of of my donor, I would need to keep donor area short.

- What was very interesting I have more hairs in my crown that in the front. But the hair thickness is bad so this is visually my worst area, Hair thickness in the front is very good thanks to my previous transplant but he add more grafts here.

- So hair thickness which is calculated by Dr Zarev's software is very very important it isnt all about number of grafts.

- Consulatations are not available until the middle of 2025.

- Not much of donor is in the catagen phase which is very good as they would mean the hair in the donor is growing very slowly & may lead to hair loss in the future

- Big surgery is not available also until 2025.

- Once Zarev has time he will teach some other surgeons. But i think this would take time the software he has alone is very advanced & detailed

Edited by hairman22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2
  • Well Done 2

33 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Just back from my consultation with Dr Zarev with was very detailed & very informative.

This was a nerve racking consultation as I dont have a very good donor area at all & cannot use Propecia.

Firstly i described my hairloss progression & medication used, Showed photos of my father & maternal grandfather.

It was  stated I will possibly reach NW 5-6 in the future. My lateral humps are not thinning but even so considering i am 32 it is better to plan to reach NW 6 just in case.

- I used 2700 grafts previously by Dr Saifi & Dr Zarev said this is an issue with this part of the donor. 

- If possible it really is better for patients to not have previous surgeries as it limits the use of his technique in this important zone in the back of the head.

- Many surgeons using larger punches cause damage to the donor area.

- I have 3000 grafts left in this area with grafts that have average quality.

- If I did not have a previous surgery I would have had 14,000 grafts lefts so more than enough to cover my worse case scenario. My donor to me doesnt seem strong so this was very surprising.

-I have 9000 grafts left, 6000 from the sides of very good quality hairs, 3000 from the back of average quality but no retrogade alopecia.

- Beard & Body hair the doctor will use but he isnt a fan of doing this, Hairs are different texture. It is last resort to use this area. 

- He can extract 80% of donor in extreme cases,

- Showed me a case of 18,000 grafts in a NW 7. Donor looked very good considering he extracted 80%.

- He repaired 2 Nw7's with 10000 grafts with a high hairline both in 60's with terrible donor but he extracted 80% but it looked great.

- If things got very bad in future he would extract 80% of of my donor, I would need to keep donor area short.

- What was very interesting I have more hairs in my crown that in the front. But the hair thickness is bad so this is visually my worst area, Hair thickness in the front is very good thanks to my previous transplant but he add more grafts here.

- So hair thickness which is calculated by Dr Zarev's software is very very important it isnt all about number of grafts.

- Consulatations are not available until the middle of 2025.

- Not much of donor is in the catagen phase which is very good as they would mean the hair in the donor is growing very slowly & may lead to hair loss in the future

- Big surgery is not available also until 2025.

- Once Zarev has time he will teach some other surgeons. But i think this would take time the software he has alone is very advanced & detailed

really impressed with Zarev, gone to a world class top notch DR there, worth the 2024 wait for surgery 👏🏻👏🏻

14 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

really impressed with Zarev, gone to a world class top notch DR there, worth the 2024 wait for surgery 👏🏻👏🏻

I am lucky i am not a big case. It is 2025 for a big case. 

He had 150 unread message alone on his personal whats app the demand he has is incredible.

Most patients are now from abroad now also.

• Wow 2

Awesome post, hope your surgery turns out great.

This also confirms my suspicions: he's able to extract more grafts than other surgeons with his technique. Doing some math, if your virgin scalp had 14000 donor grafts available with his technique, and now it has 9000 because Zaifi extracted 2700 with more conventional FUE methods, that would mean:

5000-2700=2300 extra grafts. Zarev can extract 46% more grafts with his techniques (!).

So, if a person's donor area is 6000 grafts with a different surgeon, that would mean almost 9000 grafts with Zarev.

And he could extract even more if he takes 80% of the donor as he told you, assuming the patient wears the hair short forever.

Next level for sure, also love how detailed he is with the planning and presentation of his cases, puts everyone else to shame:

zarev.thumb.png.777fcdf777d2fe3db04b6ad2e5c05693.pngzarev2.thumb.png.d713956eda3177e9e449ac9714c5a061.pngzarev3.thumb.png.5855d61527145165e19df8c2745ffb1d.png

Edited by NegativeNorwood
  • Like 2

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

42 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

Awesome post, hope your surgery turns out great.

This also confirms my suspicions: he's able to extract more grafts than other surgeons with his technique. Doing some math, if your virgin scalp had 14000 donor grafts available with his technique, and now it has 9000 because Zaifi extracted 2700 with more conventional FUE methods, that would mean:

5000-2700=2300 extra grafts. Zarev can extract 46% more grafts with his techniques (!).

So, if a person's donor area is 6000 grafts with a different surgeon, that would mean almost 9000 grafts with Zarev.

And he could extract even more if he takes 80% of the donor as he told you, assuming the patient wears the hair short forever.

Next level for sure, also love how detailed he is with the planning and presentation of his cases, puts everyone else to shame:

zarev.thumb.png.777fcdf777d2fe3db04b6ad2e5c05693.pngzarev2.thumb.png.d713956eda3177e9e449ac9714c5a061.pngzarev3.thumb.png.5855d61527145165e19df8c2745ffb1d.png

Saifi is a decent surgeon & grafts I got in my hairline are in decent shape still.

But the other method of extraction is too evasive for the donor area. This is why other surgeons cannot get too many grafts. 

Also many surgeons dont extract from the sides of the head because it is more difficult is what he told me.

If i went to another surgeon I would only have 4000 grafts left imo.

Scar tissue is a big issue in the donor area with the old method. I can tell Zarev really prefers a virgin scalp donor.

Once he has that I think 99% of people are guranteed a very good result since he can extract so much grafts.

I can post photos once the clinic send them to me.

Edited by hairman22
  • Wow 1

23 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Saifi is a decent surgeon & grafts I got in my hairline are in decent shape still.

But the other method of extraction is too evasive for the donor area. This is why other surgeons cannot get too many grafts. 

Also many surgeons dont extract from the sides of the head because it is more difficult is what he told me.

If i went to another surgeon I would only have 4000 grafts left imo.

Scar tissue is a big issue in the donor area with the old method. I can tell Zarev really prefers a virgin scalp donor.

Once he has that I think 99% of people are guranteed a very good result since he can extract so much grafts.

I can post photos once the clinic send them to me.

Truly amazing, what Zarev does is revolutionary.

I hope he can patent his method and train more surgeons, so everyone can benefit from having 50% extra donor hair (more precisely, extracting more grafts from their donors). That + the possibility of Verteporfin working to heal scarring and regrow part of the donor = no more alopecia (as long as one has enough money to afford such treatments ofc).

Edited by NegativeNorwood

23 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

18000 scalp grafts? With FUE? I’d like to see that.

we moved on to another case but i was going to say for Zarev to post that one online.

It was all scalp a norwood 7. He liked his hair short on top so needed 18k, Was over 3 surgeries,

The donor looked very good considering 80% was taken. It was incredible,

I saw no cases where he used beard or body hair not even in 2 genuine NW7's. He needs to keep the hairline high in those cases.

He prefers to take 80% of donor before doing that & the donor still looks good just needs to kept short.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

we moved on to another case but i was going to say for Zarev to post that one online.

It was all scalp a norwood 7. He liked his hair short on top so needed 18k, Was over 3 surgeries,

The donor looked very good considering 80% was taken. It was incredible,

I saw no cases where he used beard or body hair not even in 2 genuine NW7's. He needs to keep the hairline high in those cases.

He prefers to take 80% of donor before doing that & the donor still looks good just needs to kept short.

That's amazing.

Just out of curiosity, did he show you beard to beard transplant cases? He has the best scalp to beard transplant I've seen on his website (4800 grafts 0_0), so I assume he will do smaller (ie: less than 1000 grafts) beard to beard without any issue tbh.

5 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

That's amazing.

Just out of curiosity, did he show you beard to beard transplant cases? He has the best scalp to beard transplant I've seen on his website (4800 grafts 0_0), so I assume he will do smaller (ie: less than 1000 grafts) beard to beard without any issue tbh.

No. I mentioned my beard as a source of donor in future but he said it looks thicker & different texture so he doesnt want to use that hair.

I would say he could do that but we didnt discuss that.

There was a patient in his waiting room who got a repair done. Had to extract hair from his hairline & place new hairs. He had work done in turkey was an absolute mess at the hairline angles completley wrong.

I thought he was just coming for consultation because his hair looks great now so i thought he had no hair loss yet until Zarev showed his photos so that was also very interesting & brillant repair work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

No. I mentioned my beard as a source of donor in future but he said it looks thicker & different texture so he doesnt want to use that hair.

I would say he could do that but we didnt discuss that.

There was a patient in his waiting room who got a repair done. Had to extract hair from his hairline & place new hairs. He had work done in turkey was an absolute mess at the hairline angles completley wrong.

I thought he was just coming for consultation because his hair looks great now so i thought he had no hair loss yet until Zarev showed his photos so that was also very interesting & brillant repair work.

Yeah it should be a piece of cake for him to do it ngl, all the work I've seen from him is spectacular. Not surprised with the repair patient's brilliant outcome.

Your thread confirmed my thoughts about Zarev. Most people here say that he is the best for high norwood cases, but actually he is the best for low norwood cases too (thanks to his ability to extract more grafts, virgin scalps and low norwoods benefit even more from it since they are getting it from the first transplant).

I'm looking for eyebrows, hairline (mostly on temples, definitely not a big case by any means, I'm like Norwood 1.5-2 at most) and a small beard to beard transplant, so I'll just book a consult with him since I want to get it done in 2 or 3 years either way, so I don't care about the wait time. 

Thanks for sharing the info, hope you update us with the pics when you have them. Best luck with everything!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Excellent post, do you mean his surgeries are in 2025? Or he’s not accepting consultations until 2025?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Excellent post, do you mean his surgeries are in 2025? Or he’s not accepting consultations until 2025?

small surgeries in november 2024

big operation middle of 2025

consultation may 2025

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

consultation may 2025

What’s is he charging per graft now?

Interested to see how that compares to other top European Dr’s. His attention to detail does seems to be on another level and that carries through to the results. Not sure I’ve seen a bad job from him

You definitely feel confident after your consultation with him. I did consultations with several docs and felt the best after his. Are you going to wait and do the surgery with him, then, Hairman? 

5 minutes ago, mtb said:

You definitely feel confident after your consultation with him. I did consultations with several docs and felt the best after his. Are you going to wait and do the surgery with him, then, Hairman? 

yes i am. Would be a big mistake not to.

Pitella is excellent but Zarev attention to detail is superior,

Pitella quoted me 4000 grafts. Zarev 2300 but may be higher come Nov 2024. 

If I went Pitella i think i would need beard grafts at some point in the future.

Best to get as many scalp grafts as possible is the way to go.

8 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

In what way is his attention to detail superior to Pitella?

He uses the micro camera & tools to calculate total grafts in donor,hair thickness,hair in catagen phase,which areas are thinning,how many grafts needed in certain areas & whether you have enough donor hair to meet your potential hair loss level.

The extraction method also causes far less trauma resulting in less scar tissue meaning more grafts can be extracted

I think Pitella can extract many as well but he doesnt provide that detailed information

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hairman22 said:

consultation may 2025

Don't understand well how small suegeries can be scheduled in 2024 but consultations in 2025... doesn't a small surgery need a consultation too? I guess it would get earlier consultation date in that case (like first months of 2024), but could be wrong.

Can you please clarify on this?

8 hours ago, NegativeNorwood said:

Don't understand well how small suegeries can be scheduled in 2024 but consultations in 2025... doesn't a small surgery need a consultation too? I guess it would get earlier consultation date in that case (like first months of 2024), but could be wrong.

Can you please clarify on this?

Yeah surgeries in 2024 are the result of consults in 2023 or before

He probably has follow up old patients  too

Consults not until may 2025 and big surgeries too.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to be a NW7, but don't want a super high hairline as it would look unnatural since I'm in my early 20s. Is it possible to use beard hair in my midscalp so that I can have a lower hairline?

Edited by Fox243

15 hours ago, Fox243 said:

I'm going to be a NW7, but don't want a super high hairline as it would look unnatural since I'm in my early 20s. Is it possible to use beard hair in my midscalp so that I can have a lower hairline?

He would probably do that.

But you need consult in person to see best way to get good result and plan.

If i was you i would schedule consult with zarev.

• Like 1