Have your hair system ever fallen off in public?

Thegreatdane

• Valued Contributor

In 25 years of wearing a hair system it never came off once! I know that's hard to believe but if it is taped and clipped down properly (or however you attach it) it should stay fastened. It should be fine. The only time my hair piece ever came off in public or on a date was if I wanted to make a joke so I would have it just sitting on my head, literally, and then I would bend over and it would fall off. When I lifted my head I would pretend that I had no idea. The reactions were priceless! 🤣 Which leads me to the next point. If you are going to wear a hair piece successfully you fully have to own it! You have to have a sense of humor and beat others to the punch and have fun. If you try to live a life of hiding all the time you will just make life miserable in the end. All the best man! 👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Well Done 1

Yeah not sure how it could come off.  More likely is it could lift in a spot...but even this is unlikely.  

My advice is the sooner you do it the better, I started wearing when I had a tonne of hair that made the transition not noticible and much easier.

• Like 2

Never in public, but it was loosen and precarious after a nights sleep once and it was my own fault - thats once in many many years of wearing. The tapes and glues are very secure

Edited by grincher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2023 at 5:35 PM, grincher said:

Never in public, but it was loosen and precarious after a nights sleep once and it was my own fault - thats once in many many years of wearing. The tapes and glues are very secure

How often do you have to replace or retape/reglue it to ensure it won't blow if you go surfing or something? Trying to figure out the yearly cost of this. Is it possible to get longer/shoulder length systems, like women's wigs but more unstyled e.g. Keanu Reeves?

11 hours ago, MissMyLongHair said:

How often do you have to replace or retape/reglue it to ensure it won't blow if you go surfing or something? Trying to figure out the yearly cost of this. Is it possible to get longer/shoulder length systems, like women's wigs but more unstyled e.g. Keanu Reeves?

Every 2 to 3 weeks. Never come close to "blown off". My annual system cost £320 + £40 for products. I have a 6-inch piece which I get cut in

My supplier does lengths up to 26 inches in those styles and ships worldwide when I lived abroad. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 9:48 AM, grincher said:

Every 2 to 3 weeks. Never come close to "blown off". My annual system cost £320 + £40 for products. I have a 6-inch piece which I get cut in

My supplier does lengths up to 26 inches in those styles and ships worldwide when I lived abroad. 

Nice, I saw you wrote you use UKhairsystems. Good to know they ship worldwide too. Can I ask how often you get a new system? Not sure I read that right but I didn't think one system could last you a whole year whilst continuing to look good.

Today, I get 12-months per piece and much of that is in peak condition. After 12-months I use the piece as a back up for when I want to wear something but not my most recent one (maybe that's why my prime piece is durable). Another key factor is the length of time I have worn - plenty of time to learn from mistakes and work out whats best for me.

At any one time, I have back up and spares as you never know. In fact, nowadays when I order I buy 2 pieces to build up my reserves. This was particularly important when Covid closed factories and stopped supply. Even today, there are after effects and delays so if you are committed to wearing always back up.

• Moderators

I wore hair pieces for a little over a year when I was much younger. They never came off, but it was always something I worried about. Just the thought of it coming off was almost as bad as if it actually did come off. Plus I had to stop women from trying to put their hands through my hair. I was 21 at the time and women that age seem to like to play with their boyfriends hair a lot, so that was always a worry.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, Gatsby said:

In 25 years of wearing a hair system it never came off once! I know that's hard to believe but if it is taped and clipped down properly (or however you attach it) it should stay fastened. It should be fine. The only time my hair piece ever came off in public or on a date was if I wanted to make a joke so I would have it just sitting on my head, literally, and then I would bend over and it would fall off. When I lifted my head I would pretend that I had no idea. The reactions were priceless! 🤣 Which leads me to the next point. If you are going to wear a hair piece successfully you fully have to own it! You have to have a sense of humor and beat others to the punch and have fun. If you try to live a life of hiding all the time you will just make life miserable in the end. All the best man! 👍

Hey Adrian, I just wanted to thank you. You are a fountain of knowledge with regards to all things hair. From Hair Systems, SMP, to hair transplants.

I have two questions for you:

1) Did you ever face in problems at immigration while wearing a hair piece. Since your photo in the passport versus in person wearing a hair piece must have been different. 

2) How did you get your hair piece serviced in Australia? Or did you have to service it yourself.

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
31 minutes ago, bigmistake said:

Hey Adrian, I just wanted to thank you. You are a fountain of knowledge with regards to all things hair. From Hair Systems, SMP, to hair transplants.

I have two questions for you:

1) Did you ever face in problems at immigration while wearing a hair piece. Since your photo in the passport versus in person wearing a hair piece must have been different. 

2) How did you get your hair piece serviced in Australia? Or did you have to service it yourself.

From my passport to my drivers license, shooters license and work ID Check pics, they are all different. From a heavy, curly wig to a buzzed SMP scalp. I’ve never been questioned about my identity but I have been looked at suspiciously at a couple of immigration officers when travelling overseas. I’ve just said I have shaved my head and that was as far as it went. 
In terms of servicing my hair pieces I just changed them regularly about every six months. I never wore them in Summer or while sleeping so they were always well looked after. I would condition them about once a week but that was all. 👍

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

From my passport to my drivers license, shooters license and work ID Check pics, they are all different. From a heavy, curly wig to a buzzed SMP scalp. I’ve never been questioned about my identity but I have been looked at suspiciously at a couple of immigration officers when travelling overseas. I’ve just said I have shaved my head and that was as far as it went. 
In terms of servicing my hair pieces I just changed them regularly about every six months. I never wore them in Summer or while sleeping so they were always well looked after. I would condition them about once a week but that was all. 👍

immigration officers seem by nature a suspicious bunch much like police officers and auditiors

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 1:29 AM, Gatsby said:

It gets very hot wearing a hair piece on really hot days in Summer. It’s just easier to wear a cap or just not wearing it. 

Never had an issue in the heat, i have swiss lace thats breathable.

• Like 1