2 years POST Dr De Freitas FUE - wired/curly transplanted hair - with pictures

Adam87

Hello, 

I am the person, looking for some advice and some help. I am the person in this thread - 

I am been talking to the @De Freitas Clinic about the hair follicles taking a very wired appearance compared to my naturally wavy hair type. You can see by the pictures below to what i am alluding too? I have some questions if anyone could possibly answer. Toy can tell which is my natural hair and the transplanted hair, i was speaking to the hairdresser and they did comment your hair at the front is completely different to the rest of your head. 

Is there anything i can do about this, the clinic said that this "this is completely Normal for implanted hair to have a different texture, you can use conditioners or masks to improve this appearance (which i have been doing), also it is vital to continue pharmaceutical treatment - minoxidil and propecia" - i do not do minoxidil as my hair is to long for that now.

So, does anyone think using PRP treatment or anything to help strengthen the hair further to develop naturally? - i was wonder if anyone had any ideas or if anyone wants to discuss feel free below.

I dont want to sound petty, i know i have had a very good result, but i just wanted more knowledge about the transplanted hair texture and how to improve it. Thanks for any help. 

Adam 

20220903_020441[1].jpg

20220903_020243[1].jpg

20220903_020423[1].jpg

• Administrators

Have you tried any products? Sea salt spray with blowdrying would help.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Are you on medication? Are you sure it’s the transplanted hair and not native hair? My barber mentioned trimming the ends makes hair grow healthier when you’re trying to grow it long. You could try a shorter hairstyle. Your hair is pretty long and I assume you haven’t had many haircuts since the transplant.

Edited by Tiger2050

12 hours ago, Tiger2050 said:

Are you on medication? Are you sure it’s the transplanted hair and not native hair? My barber mentioned trimming the ends makes hair grow healthier when you’re trying to grow it long. You could try a shorter hairstyle. Your hair is pretty long and I assume you haven’t had many haircuts since the transplant.

that's exactly what i thought. his hair is long  without many cuts. a couple cycle of haircuts might get rid of that. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
17 hours ago, Adam87 said:

Hello, 

I am the person, looking for some advice and some help. I am the person in this thread - 

I am been talking to the @De Freitas Clinic about the hair follicles taking a very wired appearance compared to my naturally wavy hair type. You can see by the pictures below to what i am alluding too? I have some questions if anyone could possibly answer. Toy can tell which is my natural hair and the transplanted hair, i was speaking to the hairdresser and they did comment your hair at the front is completely different to the rest of your head. 

Is there anything i can do about this, the clinic said that this "this is completely Normal for implanted hair to have a different texture, you can use conditioners or masks to improve this appearance (which i have been doing), also it is vital to continue pharmaceutical treatment - minoxidil and propecia" - i do not do minoxidil as my hair is to long for that now.

So, does anyone think using PRP treatment or anything to help strengthen the hair further to develop naturally? - i was wonder if anyone had any ideas or if anyone wants to discuss feel free below.

I dont want to sound petty, i know i have had a very good result, but i just wanted more knowledge about the transplanted hair texture and how to improve it. Thanks for any help. 

Adam 

20220903_020441[1].jpg

20220903_020243[1].jpg

20220903_020423[1].jpg

U can use prp therapy for boosting the grafts thought it wont change the texture frm my understanding..u cn consider oral minoxidil after consulting with ur surgeon to make ur native and implanted hair more fuller and thicker...and oral for is very effective and easy to use...

Yeh texture may be different cause the donor hair would have been thick and without any effect of dht whereas top hair wouldn't be tht thick and had been effected by dht ...

Some cosmetic products and some shampoos which helps in making hair strands a bit staight may also help (loreal xtenso)

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

3 hours ago, Archan said:

U can use prp therapy for boosting the grafts thought it wont change the texture frm my understanding..u cn consider oral minoxidil after consulting with ur surgeon to make ur native and implanted hair more fuller and thicker...and oral for is very effective and easy to use...

Yeh texture may be different cause the donor hair would have been thick and without any effect of dht whereas top hair wouldn't be tht thick and had been effected by dht ...

Some cosmetic products and some shampoos which helps in making hair strands a bit staight may also help (loreal xtenso)

I am using some hydration masks which do help a little bit and some products like bonding smoothers, has there been any evidence that minoxidil help change the texture of the graft and improves the hairs strength, i was taking minoxidil - not oral, for a good year and a half post surgery, but stopped after my hair grew to long, just get messy and sticky and in the way. I will ask the de freitas team to see if minoxidil would help the graft. I am from the UK, do you need a prescription for oral minoxidil or can you get online? Thanks for your help. 

20 hours ago, Tiger2050 said:

It is for sure the transplanted hairs that are like this and yes i take propecia, i was taking minoxidil for a year after the surgery and before but stopped due to hair getting to long, its so annoying to apply when hair is long, makes it sticky and impossibly to get to scalp unless you use something very thin. Funnily you mentioned the hair cut, the hairdresser said the hair at the back of your head is different to the font, so it is defiently the transplanted hairs. I did take 3/4 inches off my hair, so maybe i just get it cut more regulary to see if it improves the situation. 

20 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

This can be caused by partial transaction changing the cross sectional shape of the follicle 

Hi Rafael, could you explain further please? Apologies, knew to this science of this. 

20 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Have you tried any products? Sea salt spray with blowdrying would help.

Hi Melvin, good to hear and see you again, i am trying stuff like olaplex 6 and 7, like bonding smoother and oils, plus hair masks conditioners, they do improve the situation, but i am wondering if i can take anything to improve the hairs texture and strength? - not sure taking minoxidil would but i might need to get on it, already taking propecia. How is everything with yourself and your journey regarldess?

20 hours ago, Gokuhairline said:

i think this is normal after a HT, mine looks like that too, I have naturally straight hair but now it curls and waves. 

That is what the de freitas team said to me, although im sure there has to be a ways to strengthen the hair texture, apart from using products like hair masks or bond smoothers for hair, that is why i was thinking PRP but apparently that is ineffective. 

5 minutes ago, Adam87 said:

Hi Rafael, could you explain further please? Apologies, knew to this science of this. 

During the extraction phase, when the doctor cuts into your head with the punch, there is a chance he will miscalculate the correct angle of entry and accidentally cut thru a hair follicle instead of around it. This is called transection. 

A total transection goes thru the whole way, killing the graft. 

A partial transection is when they cut through part of the follicle but not all the way. These grafts usually grow, but with some damage and change to traits including texture. 

51 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

During the extraction phase, when the doctor cuts into your head with the punch, there is a chance he will miscalculate the correct angle of entry and accidentally cut thru a hair follicle instead of around it. This is called transection. 

A total transection goes thru the whole way, killing the graft. 

A partial transection is when they cut through part of the follicle but not all the way. These grafts usually grow, but with some damage and change to traits including texture. 

But almost all my transplanted hairs are like this, i highly doubt someone of dr de freitas reputation and skill would have done this, i will speak further with the cinic next week about it and what you said. 

• Like 1

Some transplanted hairs require more cycles than others to ‘un kink’. 

I am 7 years post FUE and even today find the odd one or two that appear zig zaggedy and wirey - however over the years, there have been less and less. 

I agree, that cutting down the ends with maintenance cuts will likely help a straighter shaft start to grow out, until it eventually sheds and then hopefully in its next run it will be more like your native calibre. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Adam87 said:

I am using some hydration masks which do help a little bit and some products like bonding smoothers, has there been any evidence that minoxidil help change the texture of the graft and improves the hairs strength, i was taking minoxidil - not oral, for a good year and a half post surgery, but stopped after my hair grew to long, just get messy and sticky and in the way. I will ask the de freitas team to see if minoxidil would help the graft. I am from the UK, do you need a prescription for oral minoxidil or can you get online? Thanks for your help. 

I dnt knw abt uk..bt u will need a prescription for oral minoxidil i guess ...frm my understanding it will nt change the texture of ur hair bt it will improve growth and strength and thickness of ur hair....with long hair its tough to use topical minoxidil ...so oral may be a gud option . .and as far as prp goes ,it will also help improve fullness and strength and thickness of ur grafts...

--> My Thread

12 hours ago, Adam87 said:

It is for sure the transplanted hairs that are like this and yes i take propecia, i was taking minoxidil for a year after the surgery and before but stopped due to hair getting to long, its so annoying to apply when hair is long, makes it sticky and impossibly to get to scalp unless you use something very thin. Funnily you mentioned the hair cut, the hairdresser said the hair at the back of your head is different to the font, so it is defiently the transplanted hairs. I did take 3/4 inches off my hair, so maybe i just get it cut more regulary to see if it improves the situation. 

I tried topical minoxidil for a year and when I stopped the quality of my hair degraded significantly even though I never saw any improvement while I was on minoxidil. After stopping minoxidil my hair became wispy and I went through a big shed. The quality of my hair improved when I got on oral minoxidil. I was/am on finasteride for a long time before I tried topical minoxdil so it was definitely the minoxidil that caused a change in my hair quality. You can try oral minoxidil, I know Dr. Freitas is a big fan of the drug. Oral minoxidil is a lot more effective than topical and isn’t a nuisance to apply.

Edited by Tiger2050

23 hours ago, Archan said:

I dnt knw abt uk..bt u will need a prescription for oral minoxidil i guess ...frm my understanding it will nt change the texture of ur hair bt it will improve growth and strength and thickness of ur hair....with long hair its tough to use topical minoxidil ...so oral may be a gud option . .and as far as prp goes ,it will also help improve fullness and strength and thickness of ur grafts...

do you think PRP for the texture you would have to keep taking it like for hairloss, as what i am trying to achieve is just improve the texture and strength of the hair. 

• Valued Contributor
5 minutes ago, Adam87 said:

do you think PRP for the texture you would have to keep taking it like for hairloss, as what i am trying to achieve is just improve the texture and strength of the hair. 

U can take 3 prp for 1st year and thn 1 every year to maintain it

--> My Thread

• 4 months later...

@Adam87 - you find any solutions here? I’m 9 months removed from my HT with de Freitas. Overall results are amazing. But I naturally have fairly wavy / curly ish hair and my transplanted hair is extra wirey as well. It’s the only issue I have 

@Adam87 - you find any solutions here? I’m 9 months removed from my HT with de Freitas. Overall results are amazing. But I naturally have fairly wavy / curly ish hair and my transplanted hair is extra wirey as well. It’s the only issue I have 

cc @Melvin- Moderator - you are a wealth of knowledge. Any insight on this?