Donor Shockloss

Hey everyone, does anyone have any cases that they know of that are similar to the shockloss that I have in the photos below with strong/good comebacks? I've struggled to find cases of donor shockloss comebacks on this forum, most of the posts are here asking if they have shockloss and no follow up after a while.

The ugly duckling phase is pretty harsh and I wasn't expecting to have as many difficulties as I have right now with the donor. Would like some feedback on the harvesting/extraction pattern. I dont think I've been overharvested but would like to ask the question directly. Does everything look normal here?

Pre-Op:

image.png.b2697f49e80f261c00f0a2dff3ffa72a.png

Post Op:

image.png.cb11f800535dcb717e8fda6f8c2adeff.png

image.thumb.png.c62ea1e9eeb445a9cceafa0782d13fd7.png

Left Side (My Stronger side, less patchy and growing at a better rate. Also had more grafts harvested in this area)

image.thumb.png.57ed03b210204c84f537eb720ca11603.png

Right Side (My weaker side, it is much more patchy than the left):

image.thumb.png.5bdab5dda85ee177749e80d68affb043.png

1 Month:

image.png.99e81e3bc888f7a94cc1a561e7df27ed.png

Left Side:

image.png.3680cc3bf4e06fe24a902b7746577ccb.png

Right Side:

image.png.299a24c009dc2e715172cac51ca594a7.png

Does this look like appropriate growth for one month after a no guard shave hair transplant? To me it looks quite weak compared to how long other peoples hair is after one months worth of growth.

I am currently a few days shy off 2 Months and it has improved since the 1 month, but the difference that my left side is to the right side is very clear. When I do my 2 Month update on my thread I will also post my 2 month photos here for follow up answers.

image.png

Edited by mister_25
Duplicate Photo

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

You went to H&W correct? 

How many grafts did you get? If you got a large # of grafts taken, this could be plain-old-normal FUE extractions. ex. say you got 4000 grafts taken from a virgin donor area, then yes when your hair is very short you definitely will have patches here and there. 

I could be wrong but from what I have observed, shock loss has defined/pattern/solid area of loss. Shock loss is not patchy/diffuse, which is what your donor looks like. 

I would be shocked if H&W overharvested your donor, but anything is possible. 

The bright side is 2 months is still too early to definitively rule this an issue or not. I'd say if these patches/'shock loss' or whatever it is is still bothering you and no further growing by Month 4, then you should be more concerned and email the clinic. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

2 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

You went to H&W correct? 

How many grafts did you get? If you got a large # of grafts taken, this could be plain-old-normal FUE extractions. ex. say you got 4000 grafts taken from a virgin donor area, then yes when your hair is very short you definitely will have patches here and there. 

I could be wrong but from what I have observed, shock loss has defined/pattern/solid area of loss. Shock loss is not patchy/diffuse, which is what your donor looks like. 

I would be shocked if H&W overharvested your donor, but anything is possible. 

The bright side is 2 months is still too early to definitively rule this an issue or not. I'd say if these patches/'shock loss' or whatever it is is still bothering you and no further growing by Month 4, then you should be more concerned and email the clinic. 

3872 Grafts. 2000 Harvested on my Left (Good Side), 1870 Harvested on the Right (Bad Side)

It has improved since the one month photos (maybe by 10-15%) which I will share in the coming days, its just concerning cause I haven't seen many cases like it.

Keep in mind that those photos are one month growth without a haircut of any kind. Same will be for 2 months as I have not cut my hair since the procedure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mister_25 said:

3872 Grafts. 2000 Harvested on my Left (Good Side), 1870 Harvested on the Right (Bad Side)

It has improved since the one month photos (maybe by 10-15%) which I will share in the coming days, its just concerning cause I haven't seen many cases like it.

Keep in mind that those photos are one month growth without a haircut of any kind. Same will be for 2 months as I have not cut my hair since the procedure.

I had very minor shockloss for one of my previous HTs and the doctor said to rub Rogaine/minoxidil on the affected area. Maybe that will help. 

I think you just need to wait a few more months and see how it plays out further. 

Doug from H&W seems pretty responsive so you can always reach out to him too.

@HappyMan2021 I decided to take a few clear photos while I have time at home. Does this look like expected growth at 2 months?

I will say that it looks worse in person than it does in these photos. I will mimic the same lighting conditions on the previous Month 1 photos in a few days.

Month 2: Overhead harsh bathroom lighting (1 Photo on a angle showing my bad side)

day58_1.thumb.png.5f1c62ca63dfea681f7f7fc6f0a984be.pngday58_2.thumb.png.fb6eb49a832cce5a6064ad8d98b00171.png

Higher Quality Camera:

image.png.4566809dd3af309d1e36bd66ed1ca8d3.png

Edited by mister_25

Hopefully more people comment on your thread. I do see what you are talking about, even the straight back shot. 

I cant really make a diagnosis as ive never had donor issues before, and my case or shock loss was pretty minor, short lived, and resolved easily.

I will say, appx 4k grafts is alot in one-round and you have put your donor area through a traumatic experience. 2 months is not long at all in the HT timeline and your donor could very well simply be recovering normally. 

That being said, dont be naive and assume that the elite docs dont make errors just like the rest of them. Maybe get an in-person consult with a local HT doctor or even a dermatologist. 

Any doctor who is familiar with the skin and scalp should be able to properly diagnosis this.

If people dont reply to this thread just DM the regulars if you are seeking more answers on here.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to include a update here, this might help others try to not worry as much who are going through the same thing. All these photos are my right side of my donor which was significantly worse, although my left side improved at the same rate. 

Donor has pretty much 80-90% recovered. Honestly I dont think about it daily anymore so I'm unsure, now im just anticipating for the actual growth to happen.

Pre Op:

image.thumb.png.6a9c4a00c292bbf1d002568663c3f2e3.png

Post Op:

image.png.752bd8dc49611cbe0cbaef82fac2d100.png

1 Month:

image.png.299a24c009dc2e715172cac51ca594a7.png

2 Months:

image.png.636b7578f15d7a8663e9df131a5929d7.png

3 Months:

image.png.aca3ab487d59c6f265ed84263fa6f701.png

Bonus 3 Month Photo:

image.png.9c4fbd76638bf0bf3ff348228115e2e5.png

3.5 Months:

image.png.87200f4e91800f951cadba2778670e42.png

4 Months:

image.png.61f5a78424673b448b6175bfb074df9c.png

• Like 1

@mister_25,

I was about to address your questions and concerns but I see that you have just posted an update showing progress pictures up to four months. As you can see, your shocked toner hair has already almost fully returns but in general, it can sometimes take up to a full year for all of your shocked natural hair to return… Now that’s true whether we are referring to donor or recipient shock loss.

All that to say, I thinj it’s great that you returned to post an update showing that most of your shocked hair has returned. Because anybody else researching this topic in the future (which will likely be those experiencing the same concerns and issues) will see that not only recipient area, but donor area shock loss is pretty common and that the hair will return in time.

Looking forward to seeing your final results over the next several months…

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.