Receding at 30

Hi there,

Hope all is good. I’ve been struggling a bit with the last year as my hairline has started receding and thinning on top in places and it’s making it quite difficult to style. I know this is not hugely extensive hair loss but it is something that’s troubling me and can tell it’s thinning on top too. I’m currently 30 and know this is when the long goodbye to the hair can accelerate (31 in July, based in London) and understand it is better to wait until around 35 before even considering a hair transplant (and I’m pretty sure at this rate I’ll be losing more by then!).

I tried Minoxidil for a few months (Numan topical 6% minoxidil) but after using that on my hairline that’s when I noticed it going back further. I know shedding can happen within the first few months but when I noticed my hair looking a bit see through in photos I stopped using it. I’ve also been using Sebamed anti hair loss shampoo. Im conscious of potentially using finasteride because of side effects tough. Would a topical version be beneficial?

Would it be better advised to at least continue medication before even considering a procedure? I just don’t want to waste potential grafts on treating a bit of the recession if it further develops down the line.

I attached photos of the current state of play. I’m aware that it’s by no means that extensive, but it is just something that bothers me.

After doing research, if and when the time is needed it seems like Eugenix or Dr Bicer are people that would be on my list. But obviously understand it might be better to wait.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks 

75C98A76-3040-4784-A8E0-F8120975D4C2.jpeg

06927E3C-D96C-4B4B-9B40-7C4EF4458D2E.jpeg

3BC025C4-2C0E-47E1-A431-D0044DC03385.jpeg

have you tried finasteride? you're hairline looks great and I would surprised if a good doctor would be willing to work with you to be honest. considering you're in london you should try manual's oral minoxidyl, I've been using it and have seen a noticeable improvement in my crown (better than with topical) + its way less work than applying topical.

Edited by receedinglegend

• Administrators

Medication first, topical dutasteride in the hairline may help. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Playdad said:

May I know why you recommend dutasteride to a guy with a dreamy hairline? This is a more potent drug than finasteride.

It’s a more ‘effective’ drug. Potency is dose dependent. It works on both enzyme receptors, not just one like Finasteride. 

9 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

It’s a more ‘effective’ drug. Potency is dose dependent. It works on both enzyme receptors, not just one like Finasteride. 

so when we need to use Finasteride and when Dutasteride? Im using Finasteride for 4 mounths and I dont feel any side effect

Medical therapy, alone, might have a pretty impactful result for you. Your hair looks great as it is and you’re not so much receding as you are thinning. I’d recommend consulting with a dermatologist and discussing options. Good on you for being proactive — I sure as hell wish I would’ve been rather than ignoring it and eventually just shaving my head for 3 years before taking action (started receding at 17 and took action recently at 33 😅).