Anyone switched from oral to topical finasteride and gotten rid of side effects in doing so?

4Godot

Hi, apologies if this has already been covered as I know it seems an obvious question, but I was curious if many people have switched from oral to topical finasteride due to sides and then felt the sides recede the longer they stay on topical? Particularly if anyone went straight from one to the other and experienced relief, as opposed to getting sides from oral and trying again with topical a few years later.

I notice a lot of accounts of really low or no sides from topical, but then according to studies the vast majority of men have no sides from oral either, so it's hard to gauge how much import to invest in the fact that most people are fine with topical.

A separate topic but are there any serious theories as to why some men experience severe sides from finasteride and most are fine? Kinda interesting when you consider it has exactly the same and pretty profound mechanism in each patient.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

• Administrators

I tried oral fin 16 years ago, got bad sides, recently tried topical finasteride and no sides yet. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

i am actually surprised how easily these topical meds can pass into the blood stream, almost as if you took an oral.

i think once you have sides from fin, you are bound to always have sides be it topical or oral. its just your genetic make up. i have tried other topical anti androgens that are allegedly weaker than fin, and got the dreaded sides, so i know not to touch topical fin with a stick unless i want to risk permanent side effects.

but hey, u can always try it and see what happens. just know the risk. if you get that ball ache, or u cant get it up or stay hard you know you messed up.

• Administrators
On 1/26/2023 at 1:04 PM, 4Godot said:

That's encouraging thanks @Melvin- Moderator. I was just reading one of your other posts and you'd been using it side effects free for about a month right? Any now switched to Dut?

I haven’t switched to dut yet. But yea little over a month on topical fin and no sides. Not all topicals are created equal, and yes some topicals do pass through the blood stream quite easily. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That's good to hear re sides. I've read a few studies where overall hair count stabilizes or goes up, so I have to assume that the systemic absorption actually partially  accounts for the efficacy of the topical? Otherwise it's impact would be so specific and localized to the area of the scalp it's being applied to. Ie you might keep hair in the hairline/front third but keep receding behind that/ in crown?

@arthurSamSorry to hear that man, but appreciate your feedback

Yes, on my 20's I used the oral Propecia and my libido suffered.

Now I'm using the topical formula over a year without any issues.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

It's liquid made by a pharmacist, not by brand.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.