Androgen Upregulation

Can topical Dut or even topical Fin upregulate androgen receptors on the scalp causing your scalp to inadvertently become more sensitive to the effects of straight Testosterone (not just DHT) and then have Testosterone start causing miniaturization and eventually hair loss? 

• Administrators

That’s an interesting theory, but testosterone by itself doesn’t have any effect on hair loss. So I don’t see how receptors being more sensitive to testosterone would make any difference. But I could see your scalp becoming more sensitive to DHT if you stop using the medication. Of course, this is speculation. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Not sure where I read about it ( probably on  redit or a hair forum) but hair at the front is sensitive to testosterone and hair at your back is sensitive to DHT. That is why avodart / dutasteride wipes out peoples hairline as it raises t.

Probably just bro science.

Im an avid user of avodart myself

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

Not sure where I read about it ( probably on  redit or a hair forum) but hair at the front is sensitive to testosterone and hair at your back is sensitive to DHT. That is why avodart / dutasteride wipes out peoples hairline as it raises t.

What do you mean that dutasteride wipes out people hairlines?

I've been a long time fin user and I'm thinking of adding dut twice a week, my only area of loss is the hairline so I would be interested to hear what you mean as the last thing I want is for dutasteride to make things worse

• Administrators
9 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

Yea that sounds like bro science. Topical dutasteride actually improves the hairline. The posts on tressless about fin made my hair worse are most likely experiencing temporary sheds. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

51 minutes ago, Gabbck said:

What do you mean that dutasteride wipes out people hairlines?

I've been a long time fin user and I'm thinking of adding dut twice a week, my only area of loss is the hairline so I would be interested to hear what you mean as the last thing I want is for dutasteride to make things worse

If you look on forums etc for people switching to dut they usually say there hairline has taken a hit. I think they are going through a shedding phase and are not giving it enough time, get scared and stop or they notice there hairline going back so switch to dut but by then its to late. That is just my opinion.

Iv been on fin or avodart for about 12 years now. Currently on avodart for the past year and have no plans going back to fin.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thetdog666 said:

If you look on forums etc for people switching to dut they usually say there hairline has taken a hit. I think they are going through a shedding phase and are not giving it enough time, get scared and stop or they notice there hairline going back so switch to dut but by then its to late. That is just my opinion.

Iv been on fin or avodart for about 12 years now. Currently on avodart for the past year and have no plans going back to fin.

How often you take avodart? I’ve been on generic fin for over 2 years and notice some thinning on hairline. Maybe I need to ask about prosscar or go to avodart 

11 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

That’s quite interesting. Did Avodart hurt your hairline? I’ve heard Testosterone although it being a weaker androgen vs DHT especially toward hair loss can possibly contribute to hair loss in some cases. 

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yea that sounds like bro science. Topical dutasteride actually improves the hairline. The posts on tressless about fin made my hair worse are most likely experiencing temporary sheds. 

That was my big concern as I came across some videos on topical dut potentially having an opposite effect. I was wondering if they are just dealing with temp shed or it’s the upregulation issue.

12 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

How often you take avodart? I’ve been on generic fin for over 2 years and notice some thinning on hairline. Maybe I need to ask about prosscar or go to avodart 

Currently been on it 1 year. Iv been on fin or dut for roughly the last 12 years. During this time I have taking avodart numerous times for years.

12 hours ago, sunsurfhair said:

That’s quite interesting. Did Avodart hurt your hairline? I’ve heard Testosterone although it being a weaker androgen vs DHT especially toward hair loss can possibly contribute to hair loss in some cases. 

I would say no. My hair has been worse at times but I just contribute this to shedding.

• Thanks 1