Oral Finasteride: Patients with psychiatric diagnoses are at increased risk?

airporteffect

My doctor has been hesitant to prescribe me oral Finasteride because I am diagnosed ADHD and take prescription stimulants (Vyvanse). According to him, patients with psychiatric diagnoses are at increased risk (though nobody knows what we are at increased risk for). I've been trying to find supporting research on this and can't find much of anything. Has anyone heard of this before?

• Like 1

I hate to sound like a fin shill, but how do they control for the depression that hair loss inevitably causes for literally every man as they find out they're balding? I haven't honestly looked into it, but I'm sure if there was a survey that scored how men felt in the first year of discovering hair loss and how their identities were affected it would score negatively. The same would most likely be true for men who continue to bald over the years as well, of course some men learn to move on which is great, but we see examples on here alone where have men in their 50s still getting hair transplants to address their hair loss. 

The other issue for me is that the perceived benefit will vary for different men, a guy in his mid 20s say with mild hair loss at that point will perceive far greater benefit on it than a guy say who started it as a NW3+ and the medication hasn't done anything for him. Of course these two ppl would have a different assessment of the risk to reward for them individually. 

Simply saying that men become more depressed as they go on fin excludes the underlying issue for their anxiety and depression, as if it exists in a vaccum

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

I hate to sound like a fin shill, but how do they control for the depression that hair loss inevitably causes for literally every man as they find out they're balding? I haven't honestly looked into it, but I'm sure if there was a survey that scored how men felt in the first year of discovering hair loss and how their identities were affected it would score negatively. The same would most likely be true for men who continue to bald over the years as well, of course some men learn to move on which is great, but we see examples on here alone where have men in their 50s still getting hair transplants to address their hair loss. 

The other issue for me is that the perceived benefit will vary for different men, a guy in his mid 20s say with mild hair loss at that point will perceive far greater benefit on it than a guy say who started it as a NW3+ and the medication hasn't done anything for him. Of course these two ppl would have a different assessment of the risk to reward for them individually. 

Simply saying that men become more depressed as they go on fin excludes the underlying issue for their anxiety and depression, as if it exists in a vaccum

This 100%. 

Even just the idea that you’re taking a medication with heavily backed research proving its benefit in addressing hair loss, is enough to greatly reduce anxiety, because it’s giving you control over an otherwise uncontrollable situation. 

• Like 1