Hair transplant incoming in nine days time, still a bit unsure as to what I'm going for

Hello, lads,

I'm having 3000 grafts, and I'm told this is to cover the front and mid area, a second transplant would be needed to take care of the crown. I have a good donor area.

My plan up until now was to focus on getting a hair line I'd be happy shaving long term on a three or four guard and more if I can eventually re-grow a decent head of hair it'd be more of a bonus than expectation. I've lost a large portion of time to this hair loss situation and I don't want to spend anymore worrying about growth, more operations and the rest.

So my aim would be a balance, a nice hair line but giving me a chance of a full head of hair. I think 😄 I'm just a bit unsure about being able to obtain that, that maybe I need to focus on getting the hair line correct at the cost of more density on the rest of the head.

I guess I'm beginning to confuse myself, so I'm hoping getting some thoughts out here and some input will give me some clarity.

For a forty two year old, are either attached photo's suitable for a hair line? I guess older guys don't have such hair lines as the guy in blue? The second guy is the more ''balanced'' idea I had in mind. The photo directly below isn't myself but he has very similar hair loss to mine.

Thanks for any thoughts.

baldly.jpg.53802ad88125a5e9eeb1eb2e6ea1ccd0.jpg

skysports-hakim-ziyech-chelsea_5820964.jpg

Brian-After.jpg

• Moderators

You have a lot of area to cover. If you go with a low hair line then you may not ever be able to fill in your crown. Get a high hair line on the first surgery which will enable you to get hair further back into the mid scalp. Then on the 2nd transplant you will have a better idea of how many grafts you have left and how many you need to fill in the crown. If you can get enough grafts on the 2nd transplant, that's when you can decide to tweak the hair line and lower it a bit. Make sure you get coverage first before going too crazy in the front.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

That's good advice, thanks.

I don't mind so much how low it is, as long as it's a hair line I'd be happy to have shaved. As posted before, this guy seems to have a high hair line but it's a nice, not too straight shape. It's SMP but you get the idea.

Brian-After.jpg

18 hours ago, jc80220 said:

I kind of thought that was just the guy's natural hair line, I don't want to be getting it lined up and such, I understand now.

The lad in this photo'd be a natural straight hair line?

p224967.png

No he got lined up with clippers I used to do this before I started receding lol

• Like 1

Nobody has a naturally straight hairline your hairline gets lined up with clippers and a barber blade like I said I would suggest a natural hairline that is on the straighter side but still looks natural you don’t want it to look like a box so that when you age and your 60-70 you won’t look ridiculous, that’s why a natural hairline is best because you can line it up if you want it to be square or let’s it look natural

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jc80220 said:
On 1/23/2023 at 1:39 PM, jc80220 said:

That's good advice, thanks.

I don't mind so much how low it is, as long as it's a hair line I'd be happy to have shaved. As posted before, this guy seems to have a high hair line but it's a nice, not too straight shape. It's SMP but you get the idea.

Brian-After.jpg

You may not get the thickness to have it look good at all when shaved right down you know. If I’m honest it sounds like you could do with doing quite a bit more research. A HT is a serious procedure that can have life changing consequences, and not necessarily in a good way. I’m a bit concerned that the clinic doesn’t seem to have talked over the hairline or if your expectations are possible. What surgeon will you have and which branch? Have you researched the surgeon in detail on this and other forums?

• Like 1

Thanks, mate. I spoke with the director when I first made the appointment and told her about shaving it, and she was very forthright and said minimum was a three or four I could shave it on, can't remember. It's the Hair Dr at their Leeds hospital, so I assume Dr Arshad or Hamza, or both? This forum alone gave me enough confidence in going to the Hair Dr.

I'd like to shave it for the first year and a half, until I can have the second operation and fill the crown in. After that I'd regrow it. If the regrowth is not good enough, then I'd like the fall back of just being able to shave it and move on with my life.