$11,000 Disastrous result by True&Dorin (1150 Fue Grafts)

Milkman555

I had an absolutely terrible result from True & Dorin’s practice in Manhattan back in March 2021. Here were my results at the one year mark. The transplanted area was exclusively at my temples. The rest of what you see is all my native hair. As you can see, the density was so bad, embarrassingly thin. I know Dr. Dorin is praised on this site, but that entire practice did a really bad job, and he should be reconsidered at the very least when looking at American doctors. When I went to my one year follow-up, Dr. Dorin was unapologetic about the result, which made me want to cry. Instead of expressing any remorse, he tried to say my hairline receded behind the transplant and that’s why it looks poor. I vehemently couldn’t have disagreed more. My native hair has been strong and I’ve been on an intensive amount of hair loss drugs, including Dutasteride and oral minoxidil, which have worked very well. I simply don’t believe that much recession could have occurred in one year. 

Anyway, I was given a refund of $2k, which may have been nice, but that doesn’t make things right because I care about the result more than the money. I’m trying to receive my preop photos and will post those when I get them, but their office coordinator has been snarky, cold in his responses, and is trying act like my disappointment is a complete surprise to them, which makes me even more upset.  

I currently had a second hair transplant with another doctor and am awaiting the results. I’m 6 months into the second, and I’m getting nervous about those results too, but I digress. 

Anyway, I hope this post causes those of you to, at the very least, seek other options when deciding on your hair restoration surgeon.

DE632667-0769-40CB-BBC1-D52B2E45358B.jpeg

3710D1CD-72C2-4418-8D09-CEF0F8DF2BB5.jpeg

F919BECE-0E21-4C05-9F14-DFE34951EF3B.jpeg

37FA0DDF-A2EB-4050-869D-731EE7D4C325.jpeg

19CDC5D3-4119-4922-87D9-81D9B8D50350.jpeg

• Sad 1

Sorry you are not happy with your results. Do you have any before photos before the procedure? When you had follow ups with the office, they should've taken photos, do you have those as well to view in comparison?

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

How long have you been on dut? I agree that $2k is not enough compensation, I would want at least half, as it looks like you only got half the grafts to grow. Not all is lost for you of course, looks like you do have strong hair behind the hairline and could likely get this revised with great success. 

36 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

How long have you been on dut? I agree that $2k is not enough compensation, I would want at least half, as it looks like you only got half the grafts to grow. Not all is lost for you of course, looks like you do have strong hair behind the hairline and could likely get this revised with great success. 

I’ve been on .5mg Dutasteride since Jan 2020 and 2.5 mg of oral minoxidil since last year. I’ve been on on 1mg of topical Dutasteride 1x week for 2 months and started 1mg pyrilutamide this week. Overkill, absolutely yes, but I want to do all I can. 

The silver lining is that I probably lost 200-300 grafts since both sides were about evenly distributed from the over 1100 grafts. The right side, while not impressive, is ok. The second transplant still doesn’t have the density I want after 6 months but it’s been a decent improvement.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, shiba1985 said:

What you refer to as temples is not your temples. It’s the lateral portion of the frontal hairline. Still not a good result. How much refund would you say you would call acceptable? I agree 2k is ridiculous. 

Honestly, I just want them to publicly apologize and admit they screwed up. The money, while it sucks a bit to lose it, doesn’t really concern me like the wasted grafts do. I’d easily pay 30k for 1100 grafts if I can be certain they give a good result.

• Like 1

I've never really been blown away by True and Dorin's results. While this certainly lacks density I wouldn't classify it as disastrous. Hopefully your second transplant continues to mature and gives you the result you are seeking. I would like to ask though, if you'd be willing to pay $30K for 1100 grafts why didn't you go to Konior?

• Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

1 hour ago, BDK081522 said:

I've never really been blown away by True and Dorin's results. While this certainly lacks density I wouldn't classify it as disastrous. Hopefully your second transplant continues to mature and gives you the result you are seeking. I would like to ask though, if you'd be willing to pay $30K for 1100 grafts why didn't you go to Konior?

So I would’ve loved to have gone to Konior, but the waiting list so ridiculously long that I didn’t want to wait for years on what I believed would be a relatively easier procedure to do. I wasn’t asking for any hairline lowering or crown work.

• Like 1

Just now, Milkman555 said:

So I would’ve loved to have gone to Konior, but the waiting list so ridiculously long that I didn’t want to wait for years on what I believed would be a relatively easier procedure to do. I wasn’t asking for any hairline lowering or crown work.

Also and being in Manhattan, the proximity made sense. That’s not a strong reason for choosing a surgeon, but that also played a factor. 

1 minute ago, Milkman555 said:

Here’s pictures of my hairline before any transplants. I’m not* saying it’s amazing by any means, but it really shouldn’t have been a tough case to work on for any competent hair doctor.

6F958AEF-9E3F-4E6C-921F-9455944124FD.jpeg

52EC626D-C68F-476E-AD53-37D1242B72F3.jpeg

4334E604-6CF1-4159-B8EA-049E2CE752F9.jpeg

E3AC9A85-8193-4EA3-B844-D45EE432670D.jpeg

15 hours ago, Milkman555 said:

I had an absolutely terrible result from True & Dorin’s practice in Manhattan back in March 2021. Here were my results at the one year mark. The transplanted area was exclusively at my temples. The rest of what you see is all my native hair. As you can see, the density was so bad, embarrassingly thin. I know Dr. Dorin is praised on this site, but that entire practice did a really bad job, and he should be reconsidered at the very least when looking at American doctors. When I went to my one year follow-up, Dr. Dorin was unapologetic about the result, which made me want to cry. Instead of expressing any remorse, he tried to say my hairline receded behind the transplant and that’s why it looks poor. I vehemently couldn’t have disagreed more. My native hair has been strong and I’ve been on an intensive amount of hair loss drugs, including Dutasteride and oral minoxidil, which have worked very well. I simply don’t believe that much recession could have occurred in one year. 

Anyway, I was given a refund of $2k, which may have been nice, but that doesn’t make things right because I care about the result more than the money. I’m trying to receive my preop photos and will post those when I get them, but their office coordinator has been snarky, cold in his responses, and is trying act like my disappointment is a complete surprise to them, which makes me even more upset.  

I currently had a second hair transplant with another doctor and am awaiting the results. I’m 6 months into the second, and I’m getting nervous about those results too, but I digress. 

Anyway, I hope this post causes those of you to, at the very least, seek other options when deciding on your hair restoration surgeon.

DE632667-0769-40CB-BBC1-D52B2E45358B.jpeg

3710D1CD-72C2-4418-8D09-CEF0F8DF2BB5.jpeg

F919BECE-0E21-4C05-9F14-DFE34951EF3B.jpeg

37FA0DDF-A2EB-4050-869D-731EE7D4C325.jpeg

19CDC5D3-4119-4922-87D9-81D9B8D50350.jpeg

11,000 $ for 1150 grafts is ridicously high price and the result is too bad...U should get at least the half money for refund and not just 2000 $

13 hours ago, Milkman555 said:

I’ve been on .5mg Dutasteride since Jan 2020 and 2.5 mg of oral minoxidil since last year. I’ve been on on 1mg of topical Dutasteride 1x week for 2 months and started 1mg pyrilutamide this week. Overkill, absolutely yes, but I want to do all I can. 

The silver lining is that I probably lost 200-300 grafts since both sides were about evenly distributed from the over 1100 grafts. The right side, while not impressive, is ok. The second transplant still doesn’t have the density I want after 6 months but it’s been a decent improvement.

Which doctor did you select for a 2nd transplant? 

14 hours ago, Milkman555 said:

Honestly, I just want them to publicly apologize and admit they screwed up.

Good luck with that. The harsh reality that we often forget is that the end of the day all of these surgeons run a business, and them admitting to a mistake would be damaging to them and their brand. No matter who you go, having surgery is a roll of the dice in my opinion. Because these people aren't your friends. You are a consumer paying them to perform a service. I'll admit though it is pretty cringe when you see surgeries go bad and the clinics try to either defend it or make up some other excuse. In your case clearly something went a bit wrong, whether it was a poor growth yield or failure to use enough multi's to achieve good density. I hear you about the lost grafts, but considering your (pretty awesome already) hair is stabilized and you only have these two weak points that now basically need a touch up surgery, you'll be fine in due time.

Edited by ML488

• Administrators

@Milkman555

I’m sorry to hear about your results. Please pm me your full name and date of surgery and I’ll reach out to the surgeon for their response. Also, please include which surgeon performed the surgery.

It seems like you’re 6 months out from a second procedure? Is that second procedure with the same clinic? Was it free? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, AlexMeister21 said:

You hair loss pattern looks good. Not sure what your family history of balding is, but I don't think you'd have to worry much about running out of lifetime grafts, though I know it sucks to spend a lot of money only to have grafts wasted. 

Thanks, it’s sad I have to focus just on my native hair, but this is how it looks currently at 29 years old. I cover up the corners because the grafts are too thin. Since I don’t have any crown or midscalp recession at this point, I might just have to risk it and get a 3rd transplant to correct the first if the second one doesn’t work out. I will post progress or lack thereof from that and name the surgeon later, so I don’t destroy any relationship with him yet. I’m at 6.5 months currently. Also another $11k cash throw. 

0A0BA049-F2FA-4C1B-86AE-F491F4E11C29.jpeg

DA2C75D8-A050-46AF-B71F-EE5A6653C409.jpeg

1 minute ago, Milkman555 said:

I cover up the corners because the grafts are too thin.

You can easily shoot some hair fibers into those corners now that there is at least some form of hair there that can take them on, until your results of the second surgery come about.

4 hours ago, Milkman555 said:

Thanks, it’s sad I have to focus just on my native hair, but this is how it looks currently at 29 years old. I cover up the corners because the grafts are too thin. Since I don’t have any crown or midscalp recession at this point, I might just have to risk it and get a 3rd transplant to correct the first if the second one doesn’t work out. I will post progress or lack thereof from that and name the surgeon later, so I don’t destroy any relationship with him yet. I’m at 6.5 months currently. Also another $11k cash throw. 

0A0BA049-F2FA-4C1B-86AE-F491F4E11C29.jpeg

DA2C75D8-A050-46AF-B71F-EE5A6653C409.jpeg

If it's any consolation to you, we have similar journeys in terms of hair transplantation. I got two procedures done in my frontal region and spent about 11-12k each procedure with poor results and now have to get a third surgery. Clinic also only offered a measly refund of $2,500. Problem is my donor is probably 50-75% depleted because of my inch-wide scar from FUT, so now I have to hope meds save my mid scalp and crown otherwise I'll probably end up looking like someone that obviously got a hair transplant 10-30 years from now. I'd take your situation over mine as it doesn't seem like you'd have to worry much about donor availability in the future.

On 1/22/2023 at 6:19 PM, Milkman555 said:

I will post progress or lack thereof from that and name the surgeon later, so I don’t destroy any relationship with him yet.

Posting monthly updates is destroying relathionships with surgeons? So this means this forum is all about destroying relathionships 🤣