Everything You Need To Know About Topical Dutasteride

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

For those of you who have been on topical dutasteride. What are some of the things you've noticed, sides effects, benefits, etc? Let's make this the official topical dutasteride thread. I'll be switching from topical fin to topical dutasteride myself, so interested to hear what you all hear.

Everything You Need To Know About Topical Dutasteride.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SoSoz said:

Does this cause less side effects than the finasteride gel? 

My suspicion is that it will cause less systemic absorption, given the molecular size and weight of dutasteride. It's much larger than finasteride, so it will be harder for it to absorb systemically, administered topically. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I spoke to a doctor in the Uk about topical dutasteride. She said the problem with it is its not stable for long. I'm sure she would only sell me 2 months use at one time. It was very expensive so I just continues with the oral version.

Going by something iv read doesn't it have quite a high molecule weight or something so will be hard for it to penetrate the skin?

4 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

I spoke to a doctor in the Uk about topical dutasteride. She said the problem with it is its not stable for long. I'm sure she would only sell me 2 months use at one time. It was very expensive so I just continues with the oral version.

Going by something iv read doesn't it have quite a high molecule weight or something so will be hard for it to penetrate the skin?

For vehicle was that formulation? I can't 100% guarantee the hydroalcoholic solutions make dutasteride go systemic.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

Have you ever tried oral dut melvin?

No, I tried oral fin and got bad sides, so oral dut was a no go. 

View my thread

On 1/20/2023 at 4:04 PM, thetdog666 said:

I head about the stability issue too, but from what I understand the shelf life the companies put on topical dutasteride means the point in which they can ensure 100 potency as intended. This is just a theory, but after a few months, it should still be fine, but might be like 99 potency or something like that.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’m scheduled to talk with Dr. Hasson, but from what I understand they got the best results using topical dut daily. Also, they tested the sustainability of their topicals and found they last for up to 6 months. 

I still have a quarter bottle of the fin that I’m gonna keep, it says its good until May of this year. 

View my thread

This must be my 3 topical dut related post today lol. I've been using 0.1% once weekly since September and definitely doing something as I dont have as much need for fibres. My sparse areas are certainly a little less sparse which I wasn't expecting so quick. So far so good on the sides front also. I must have missed this thread as I created another one questioning stability of topical dut but seems to have been answered somewhat here. @Melvin- Moderatorfeel free to delete the thread I created today about shelf life of topical dut.

Any ideas on the difference between gel and liquid?

36 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m scheduled to talk with Dr. Hasson, but from what I understand they got the best results using topical dut daily. Also, they tested the sustainability of their topicals and found they last for up to 6 months. 

I still have a quarter bottle of the fin that I’m gonna keep, it says its good until May of this year. 

Do you know the percentage they had? 

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Awesome, will that be livestreamed net next?

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Johnny129 said:

Is it me or isnt that a little high? Most ranges I've seen are 0.05% to 1% and I thought 1% was high

Their concentration is always higher, hence why their cost is higher. The reason why they can have a higher concentration is because of the siloxysystem gel vehicle. It keeps the drug on your scalp through a slow release, which delivers most of the drug to your scalp and limits systemic absorption.  

Plus, the molecular weight of dutasteride is higher, so I would imagine that it is more difficult to absorb through the blood. Of course, this is speculation. But a lot of doctors agree, which is why topical dutasteride is so highly sought for, and regarded as the new gold standard.

But not all topicals are created equal, that’s why I’ve been excited for XYON to release it because the siloxysytem technology +dut seems like a killer combo. 

• Like 1

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Their concentration is always higher, hence why their cost is higher. The reason why they can have a higher concentration is because of the siloxysystem gel vehicle. It keeps the drug on your scalp through a slow release, which delivers most of the drug to your scalp and limits systemic absorption.  

Plus, the molecular weight of dutasteride is higher, so I would imagine that it is more difficult to absorb through the blood. Of course, this is speculation. But a lot of doctors agree, which is why topical dutasteride is so highly sought for, and regarded as the new gold standard.

But not all topicals are created equal, that’s why I’ve been excited for XYON to release it because the siloxysytem technology +dut seems like a killer combo. 

I was wondering if there were any benefits of a gel solution rather than the standard liquid 👍

• Like 1

I'm wondering how soon XYON might be released in the UK because time is ticking and I'm currently just on oral minox 2.5 (just switched from topical). I was looking into finding azaelic acid as an alternative DHT blocker but it seems the problem is the DHT itself which is why XYON is so promising

I get terrible sides with fin, never tried dutasteride but I remember reading that the sides are the same if not more intense so I'm worried about trying it.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, mr789person said:

I'm wondering how soon XYON might be released in the UK because time is ticking and I'm currently just on oral minox 2.5 (just switched from topical). I was looking into finding azaelic acid as an alternative DHT blocker but it seems the problem is the DHT itself which is why XYON is so promising

I get terrible sides with fin, never tried dutasteride but I remember reading that the sides are the same if not more intense so I'm worried about trying it.

I’m gonna ask Xyon when we have our next podcast. It’s definitely something that needs to be global.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

View my thread

Duasteride's molecular weight is 528.53 g/mol, so it is less likely to go systemic (topically), but there are people who do still experience sides over time. I would think this might have to do with a compounding effect of the quite long half life and eventual systemic buildup. This is why some clinics like Mwamba’s FUE clinic has patients apply it once a week for several weeks to see how you do symptoms wise.

The larger weight of Dutasteride certainly helps with systemic absorption from the scalp. “Dalton Rule” states anything with a molecular weight less than 500 will penetrate the corneal (outer) layer of skin. For reference, Finasteride’s molecular weight is 372.549 g/mol, so can penetrate the skin much easier than Dutasteride.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10839713/

Edited by sunsurfhair
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sunsurfhair said:

Duasteride's molecular weight is 528.53 g/mol, so it is less likely to go systemic (topically), but there are people who do still experience sides over time. I would think this might have to do with a compounding effect of the quite long half life and eventual systemic buildup. This is why some clinics like Mwamba’s FUE clinic has patients apply it once a week for several weeks to see how you do symptoms wise.

The larger weight of Dutasteride certainly helps with systemic absorption from the scalp. “Dalton Rule” states anything with a molecular weight less than 500 will penetrate the corneal (outer) layer of skin. For reference, Finasteride’s molecular weight is 372.549 g/mol, so can penetrate the skin much easier than Dutasteride.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10839713/

But if it's not penetrating the scalp, then how can it be effective?

1 hour ago, BaldBobby said:

But if it's not penetrating the scalp, then how can it be effective?

It still does just not so much so that it can become highly systemic into the blood stream. The larger molecular size also keeps it on the scalp longer which could be another reason it works well. As long as it can saturate the follicle (and androgen receptor), it would have the benefit of blocking DHT. That’s my understanding at least.