finasteride and progestone

mr_peanutbutter

• Administrators

Are you taking progesterone with fin? I’ve heard some guys taking progesterone to inhibit DHT. If fin increases testosterone, it may aromatize more. Curious to hear what others think, good topic to discuss with a doctor.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

image.png.01513b6bc589beab4eadf9b1727fa90d.png

since it blocks the pathway from progesterone to dhp it should increase progesterone shortterm? what about longterm?

my urologist said me that fina can give type II diabetic and prostatic cancer 

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

17 minutes ago, arthurSam said:

my urologist said me that fina can give type II diabetic and prostatic cancer 

well your answer isnt related my question at all but i wonder where you doc gets your data from?

regarding diabetes there are to my knowledge 2 studies 

1. study shows np effecr of finasteride on insulin sensitivity

„Dual inhibition of 5αRs, but not inhibition of 5αR2 alone, modulates insulin sensitivity in human peripheral tissues rather than liver. This may have important implications for patients prescribed dutasteride for prostatic disease.“

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24823464/

2. compared patients (in average 70 years old and overweight) who got treated for prostata issues with finasteride (5 mg per day) and tamsulosin. from this study we can conclude that for the average 70 year old and overweight men there is a 0.16% higher chance of developing diabetes while being on finasteride compared to people who are not on finasteride (in numbers: from 1.000 70 year old men who are not on finasteride 60 men will develop finasteride in the next 10 years compared to 76 men who are on finasteride)

https://www.bmj.com/content/365/bmj.l1204

there are zero studies done young patients. but maybe your doctor knows more, idk

On 1/19/2023 at 10:28 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you taking progesterone with fin? I’ve heard some guys taking progesterone to inhibit DHT. If fin increases testosterone, it may aromatize more. Curious to hear what others think, good topic to discuss with a doctor.

no i read that people take progesterone as a precautios measure bc fin also blocks the conversion to progesterone to dhp 

i just wonder what the logic is behind this? if you take more progesterone the number of dhp still will increase simply because finasteride wont block 100% of the conversion? but then what actually happens to the progesterone that floats around in your brain and wont converted?

On 1/29/2023 at 6:50 AM, RTC said:

Men literally turning themselves into women to save their hair.

What a circus.

Couldn’t agree w this more. The medicines for hair loss have to move away from anything that can adversely effect the highly sensitive harmony of the endocrine system. There has to be better options. Oral minox is one of them, thankfully. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:34 PM, sunsurfhair said:

Couldn’t agree w this more. The medicines for hair loss have to move away from anything that can adversely effect the highly sensitive harmony of the endocrine system. There has to be better options. Oral minox is one of them, thankfully. 

i wouldnt know where to get oral minox and oral minox comes with its own risk of sideeffects

i have zero issues with finasteride so far, im just curious why persons would decide to add progesterone to their regime

On 2/1/2023 at 4:38 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

i wouldnt know where to get oral minox and oral minox comes with its own risk of sideeffects

i have zero issues with finasteride so far, im just curious why persons would decide to add progesterone to their regime

Side effects of oral minox at a max dose of 5mg is extremely low. This is essentially a micro dose of what the medication was originally designed for - doses much higher than 5mg for blood pressure control. I’ve been on oral minox for over a year with no sides and only benefits. I even took it a step further and got a full cardiac workup well into taking oral minox and everything is beautiful. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but the likelihood at that dose is extremely low. As always, careful monitoring of yourself with your physician on any medicine you take is important. 

Edited by sunsurfhair

On 1/19/2023 at 12:24 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

image.png.01513b6bc589beab4eadf9b1727fa90d.png

since it blocks the pathway from progesterone to dhp it should increase progesterone shortterm? what about longterm?

Allopregenonlone is the key neurotransmitter which is impacted (reduced) with 5AR medications. This is what is believed to be the cause of the neuro-psychiatric side effects: Depression, Anxiety, Panic, Anhedonia, etc. since Allopregnenolone directly impacts the GABA A receptors (what keeps your brain and central nervous system calm).

Several pharmaceutical companies are in the process of producing alloprgenenolone analogues to combat many of the conditions I listed above —- not for “PFS” but for classic conditions. Could be very promising for individuals who ended up with long standing issues (“PFS”) after using an oral 5AR like Finasteride. 

https://www.sagerx.com/therapeutic-focus/gaba-nmda-receptors

https://www.sagerx.com/programs-research/pipeline

Edited by sunsurfhair
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 6:50 AM, RTC said:

Men literally turning themselves into women to save their hair.

What a circus.

Fair point, but it's easy to say that when you have plenty of hair. 

If you were cueball bald I'm not sure you would say the same thing.