Does finasteride affect transplanted hair from beard to scalp ?

Time

Well,

I have in plan to transplant from beard, so im in dilemma if i use topical minoxidil and topical finasteride  after transplantation to keep my native hair, will it affect my transplanted hair from beard because hair from beard are pro DHT ??

Thank you.

• Administrators

No, finasteride has little to no effect on body hair.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 1/19/2023 at 6:23 AM, Time said:

Well,

I have in plan to transplant from beard, so im in dilemma if i use topical minoxidil and topical finasteride  after transplantation to keep my native hair, will it affect my transplanted hair from beard because hair from beard are pro DHT ??

Thank you.

Your beard hair may benefit from minoxidil though. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 1/18/2023 at 11:42 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

No, finasteride has little to no effect on body hair.

This is not really true. I don't know about beard hair because I was always clean shaven, but finasteride did thin out my chest hair and I've heard other people say the same. That was one of several reasons why I stopped using it years ago because I knew I needed to transplant body hair to my head. Once I stopped using it my chest hair started thickening again.

Minoxidil is a different story. Minoxidil can thicken up beards, so you can definitely use that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.