Help me evaluate this SMP provider?

Hi everyone,

I don't know what to look for exactly with SMP providers, unlike with FUE, so I hope someone can help. 

I have had additional loss behind my FUE and I am looking to add density. I contacted Dr. Bloxham who graciously reviewed my case and said right now another transplant would be "an ideal situation for bad shock loss." So SMP it is.

Here's what this place shared with me:

image.thumb.jpeg.e1a1c6dd89ee806f0371459215c97b15.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf0472052b78fe4fae26f3fdf5a9c29d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a9d0f2a3aaddaa238a5e0e29e57ccc7c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34d853d01179d7b013158c6e3c0b7010.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.35bae24803d169c03b9548cdb580f311.jpeg

"right now another transplant would be "an ideal situation for bad shock loss." So SMP it is.

A little confused here, if Dr. Bloxham said another transplant would be ideal why aren't you getting another transplant?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

1 hour ago, hairthere said:

"right now another transplant would be "an ideal situation for bad shock loss." So SMP it is.

A little confused here, if Dr. Bloxham said another transplant would be ideal why aren't you getting another transplant?

Sorry, he was saying "surgery would not be a good option at the moment," because transplanting into the diffuse thinning would be an ideal situation to cause shock loss and a net negative result.

I wish I could get another transplant!

Ok makes sense. If you want post some pictures and I can evaluate or feel free to text them to me 201-482-4529. I don’t feel everyone is a suitable candidate for thickening SMP and often turn people away. Also I’d be wary of any SMP clinic that readily accepts you as a client without making sure you’re a qualified candidate (unfortunately there are plenty that would.)

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

4 hours ago, hairthere said:

Ok makes sense. If you want post some pictures and I can evaluate or feel free to text them to me 201-482-4529. I don’t feel everyone is a suitable candidate for thickening SMP and often turn people away. Also I’d be wary of any SMP clinic that readily accepts you as a client without making sure you’re a qualified candidate (unfortunately there are plenty that would.)

I appreciate that! Here's where I'm at:

image.jpeg.84ae3d5001c5bbd061463daf9236a8b1.jpegimage.jpeg.f27925b11526767b00222e34bd23d894.jpegimage.jpeg.7180a812dd6729c948185e9c7050c8e2.jpeg

3 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

They have a couple before/after results that are decent, but most of them are just terrible. I would avoid this place. 

If I could ask you for a little more time, could you let me know what you think of: https://www.scalpmastersri.com/gallery?

I promise to return your generosity with a full review of wherever I go for others to consult. Thank you so much!

5 minutes ago, dotdashdashdash said:

If I could ask you for a little more time, could you let me know what you think of: https://www.scalpmastersri.com/gallery?

I promise to return your generosity with a full review of wherever I go for others to consult. Thank you so much!

I’m not a fan of theirs either. The density is too low and their hairlines are very artificial looking. 

6 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

I’m not a fan of theirs either. The density is too low and their hairlines are very artificial looking. 

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback so much. Seems like I may need to find a way to go to NYC often for a couple of months. Can't seem to find much in the Boston area. 

• Administrators
On 1/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, dotdashdashdash said:

I appreciate that! Here's where I'm at:

image.jpeg.84ae3d5001c5bbd061463daf9236a8b1.jpegimage.jpeg.f27925b11526767b00222e34bd23d894.jpegimage.jpeg.7180a812dd6729c948185e9c7050c8e2.jpeg

The lighting in these photos are pretty bad. Can you take some pictures under bathroom lighting. I think a better solution that is way cheaper would be to use some sea salt spray. I get my hair looking pretty darn thick with sea salt spray, and it layers over the scalp and makes it look thicker.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-MzSNJ4GFqg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The lighting in these photos are pretty bad. Can you take some pictures under bathroom lighting. I think a better solution that is way cheaper would be to use some sea salt spray. I get my hair looking pretty darn thick with sea salt spray, and it layers over the scalp and makes it look thicker.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-MzSNJ4GFqg

You know I saw a video of you talking about sea salt spray a while back, picked it up, and it works great! 

I'm very lucky. Unless I pull my hair apart, it sits nicely and you can't tell even under harsh light that there's thinning. The problem is, though, if my hair gets wet or, say, a woman goes to put her hand through my hair. I just wish I had something to fill in those spots. 

That said, I don't know how i'm going to financially or logistically pull off three trips to NY in a couple month span. 

Let me save you some time and money: I would actually turn you away as a client based on these pictures. I think that this type of hairloss is most evident depending on the lighting, and pictures always make it look worse. In real life I bet most of the time it's hardly noticeable (except to yourself because you're hyperconscious of it). Stop taking these overhead selfies (iPhone cameras always bump up contrast making thinning appear worse) and use some thickening products like Melvin suggested. Best of luck!

Edited by hairthere

• 2 weeks later...