Best ways to stay calm in the lead-up to surgery?

Vortex

Objectively, I shouldn’t be worried: this will be my first HT, I’ve researched for years before making a decision, I’ve been on medication for a substantial amount of time and I’ve chosen a well established doctor that is considered elite here. Regardless, I am feeling a bit nervous and having negative thoughts about it possibly all going wrong.

I’m sure a lot of you can relate to the mental toll hair loss has on you, especially when you’ve been dealing with it for so many years - I guess it just feels like there’s so much much riding on the surgery going well as it’s such a large investment (financially and mentally), and you just never know what’s going to happen. I have tried to minimise the risk of the result being sub-par as much as I can, so now it’s just a case of waiting and having the surgery. For those of you who have had surgery already, any tips?

thanks!

Edited by Vortex
  • Like 1

I know exactly how you feel, that was me a little over a month ago. Truth be told, no one can magically make your anxiety of the procedure go away other than yourself.

One thing that did help that I still do for the ugly duckling phase I’m currently in and for the anxiety before the procedure, is that I just keep reminding myself that I’ve taken what I believe to be the possible approach for my case/situation.

I guess my one tip for you would be make sure you overprepare yourself so that you don’t leave any room for doubt on your end.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Being that I just had my second procedure, I just tell my self that it's a worth investment in myself and it won't be the last. That life is worth living and constantly improving. 

This helps me cope with the possibility of future hair procedures or even other cosmetic procedures. It'll be fine. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

4 hours ago, mister_25 said:

I know exactly how you feel, that was me a little over a month ago. Truth be told, no one can magically make your anxiety of the procedure go away other than yourself.

One thing that did help that I still do for the ugly duckling phase I’m currently in and for the anxiety before the procedure, is that I just keep reminding myself that I’ve taken what I believe to be the possible approach for my case/situation.

I guess my one tip for you would be make sure you overprepare yourself so that you don’t leave any room for doubt on your end.

Thanks man, yeah I will definitely be over prepared haha. Will be bringing notes to discuss before the op just to make sure the goal is clear. I think it’s making me feel on edge because there’s been so much anticipation and preparing for a (very) long time, so it kind of just has to go well haha. More nervous about the end result than the actual surgery tbh.

Edited by Vortex

2 hours ago, mavigo said:

Being that I just had my second procedure, I just tell my self that it's a worth investment in myself and it won't be the last. That life is worth living and constantly improving. 

This helps me cope with the possibility of future hair procedures or even other cosmetic procedures. It'll be fine. 

Absolutely a worthwhile investment! Just really hope it will be a success. Time will tell I guess

• Administrators

Trust in the process. Make sure you prepare yourself for the ugly duckling phase. Remember, you could look worse before you look better. Never compare yourself to others. You’re an individual. Therefore, your growth may start at a different time. Talking to patients really helps go through the process. I suggest starting a journey thread when you get it done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Trust in the process. Make sure you prepare yourself for the ugly duckling phase. Remember, you could look worse before you look better. Never compare yourself to others. You’re an individual. Therefore, your growth may start at a different time. Talking to patients really helps go through the process. I suggest starting a journey thread when you get it done. 

Thank you. To be honest I’m totally fine being an ugly duckling for a little while, it’s a short term inconvenience for a lifetime result.🤞🏽