What's the difference between a discussion and an argument on the net?

NikosHair

As per the title. Interested at what point the line is crossed?

What are the warning signs it's turning into an argument? (in real life you have the visual cues)

Have you ever found yourself arguing with a random stranger on the net? how should you handle it?

• Confused 1

I always try to read the comments with the best intentions in the tone and if someone takes umbrage I give them the benefit of doubt that I didn't explain myself as clearly as was needed. 

Also I try not to wade into stuff I'm not clear on. And since I'm not clear on a lot that keeps me out of most drama 😄😅

And I'm not sure when things go from discussion to argument, maybe when someone takes a shot or hits with a little snark... it's usually avoidable by acknowledging value in thr point of view you're disagreeing with, but sometimes folks just gonna get riled up no matter what

• Like 2

I see that it is in the off topic, I’m not going to lie OP but this thread doesn’t make you look like the most credible character knowing the context of what came before this, my two cents though as a outsider. I’ll give you a answer to your question nonetheless

Googles definition of Discussion

1. the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.”
  2. ”a conversation or debate about a specific topic.”

Googles definition of a argument

an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.”

So to answer your questions.

For warning signs, when two opposing ideas are present in a discussion it can be easy for a argument to be created. And if you see someone getting agitated or angry in a discussion then it’s heading into a arguement.

Have I ever found myself arguing with a stranger? Yes all the time, I play CS:GO and LoL.

Jokes aside, when I see things that I see as blatantly wrong and harmful I’ll call it out. I’ll defend what I believe in if people insult it or spit on it depending on what it is, sometimes my opinion is changed from the clash of two ideas. Arguements aren’t necessarily bad things, arguements can bring out change which is good or bad. As to handling arguments, depends on how important what your talking about is/who you talk too. If I see someone giving bad advice on here I’ll say that’s bad advice and explain why, if I get insulted back I wouldn’t care it’s some stranger on the internet. In reality though it goes much deeper than that with people you know cause words can hurt and people have varying degrees of temper so my advice is, know who your talking too, know that what you say is going to have a corresponding reaction, logically or emotionally.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

33 minutes ago, ray35 said:

I didn't explain myself as clearly as was needed. 

That's a good point. Just because the point makes perfect sense to you, it worth reading it from someone else's perspective.

12 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

I see that it is in the off topic, I’m not going to lie OP but this thread doesn’t make you look like the most credible character knowing the context of what came before this, my two cents though as a outsider. I’ll give you a answer to your question nonetheless

Point noted. I think it's interesting question in the context of an online forum.

And hey I'm sure there's still enough bandwidth for a few more 'I'm losing my hair, should I consider finasteride?' threads😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1