what would happen to transplanted hair if the hopemedicine/bayer treatment (HMI-115 PRLR antibody) turns out to actually work?

quick explanation to what HMI-115 PRLR antibody treatment is:

„HMI-115 is a monoclonal antibody for the PRLR(prolactin receptor). It was licensed by Bayer to Hopemed Inc. It is currently in clinical trials for endometriosis and androgenetic alopecia. In early 2022 the company received FDA approval to conduct a phase II trial in the US for Androgenetic Alopecia, and soon after they received approval to begin a 6 month phase I trial in Australia that should demonstrate efficacy. The Australian trial is currently recruiting. The company has said that they hope to have it on the market by 2024, but that will be a difficult target to meet. They originally planned to move straight into a phase II trial for Androgenetic Alopecia since they had already completed a phase I for endometriosis. The FDA approved that, but Australia did not. The phase II trial now appears to be on hold until the Phase I in Australia is completed. They are currently conducting a phase II in endometriosis.

Most of the information we have about the treatment comes from this patent. The patent details a trial conducted in stumptailed macaques. This is the best available model for human male pattern baldness. Stumptailed macaques have androgenetic alopecia like humans. They go bald when they hit puberty, and finasteride prevents this. All treatments that have been tested on both humans and macaques have similar efficacy in both, so that's a very good sign that this drug will work in humans too. What makes this treatment so promising is the amount of hair that the macaques regrew in this trial, and the quality of that hair. No other treatment has come close to growing this much hair in stumptailed macaques. Not even the combination of finasteride and minoxidil could come close. Additionally, the results last longer than other treatments. The macaques were injected subcutaneously with the antibody once every two weeks for 28 weeks, after which they had nearly full regrowth. Even after 4 years without treatment the macaques were still well above baseline. Other trials measure hair weight or the number of vellus hairs regrown. These measurements on the graphs below represent "thick terminal hairs", and you can see by the trichoscope image that miniaturized hairs returned to full thickness. Additionally, results did not plateau during the treatment period, so if treatment were continued for longer than 6 months they very likely would have had even more regrowth.“

from „pegasus2“ from a competetive forum

my question is: if the medication leads to full rewgroth what would happen to the transplanted hairs? would there be inflammation etc?

HMI115 has shown to prolong anagen phase and reverse minituarization in macaques, so if it works similar in humans, that would be basically the effect.

Transplanted hair isn't "special" other than it is more genetically DHT resistant. If you have any of those minituarized or with shorter anagen phase than optimal, they will improve too, if they are already terminal then nothing would change.

Though, one of the biggest wonders I have is... people who have been transplanted high-density transplants, if some day the miracle cure comes that revives all old follicles, what would happen when you end up with >200cm2 hairs? I doubt the scalp has enough blood supply for all of them 😅

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

HMI115 has shown to prolong anagen phase and reverse minituarization in macaques, so if it works similar in humans, that would be basically the effect.

Transplanted hair isn't "special" other than it is more genetically DHT resistant. If you have any of those minituarized or with shorter anagen phase than optimal, they will improve too, if they are already terminal then nothing would change.

Though, one of the biggest wonders I have is... people who have been transplanted high-density transplants, if some day the miracle cure comes that revives all old follicles, what would happen when you end up with >200cm2 hairs? I doubt the scalp has enough blood supply for all of them 😅

The old follicles would presumably be too damaged to regrow since they were already weakened through DHT but potentially eliminated through the invasiveness of a HT procedure. This is why one of the exclusion criteria for the trials is not having had a HT.

Edited by Fox243

12 hours ago, Fox243 said:

The old follicles would presumably be too damaged to regrow since they were already weakened through DHT but potentially eliminated through the invasiveness of a HT procedure. This is why one of the exclusion criteria for the trials is not having had a HT.

In my transplant, most of my previous native thinned difussed hair is still there for example.

Some native follicles die after HT but some others don't, if they get "revived" into full terminal, basically most HT people would have really unnatural high density (above >150cm2), or maybe the hair transplanted hair competes in blood supply and doesn't let them grow, hard to know.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 7:05 PM, WhereIsMyMind said:

yes that what i wanted actually to ask

feels like it would be like wisdom teeth situation when the jaw doesnt have enoigh space for it

6 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

yes that what i wanted actually to ask

feels like it would be like wisdom teeth situation when the jaw doesnt have enoigh space for it

we cannot know, my guess its too much to handle, but regardless I think your hair would look much better even if all hair cant grow. There are many people who had 3+ hairline passes which yields like >150cm2 and still keep their hair healthy