Do I loose ownership of pics placed here?

I have a question I hope will be answered. By posting pics here. Do I give up the rights of ownership?

Does this forum and its members and owners have the right to post them in videos, blogs etc with out my consent?

The media of my surgery. The before and after pics, etc. I do not wish that my pics are used in any other way except for here in this forum.  I do not want videos made with pictures of me in them, or of my hair.

• Thanks 1

yes. No one on the website can control them. once you post the pics they become public. Having said that no one will most likely post them anywhere else, but if you are afraid then I would not post anything u dont want on world wide web. 

• Like 2

You really need official guidance from @Melvin- Moderator

But here's my take on it:

7 hours ago, Michael D said:

I have a question I hope will be answered. By posting pics here. Do I give up the rights of ownership?

No 

Does this forum and its members and owners have the right to post them in videos, blogs etc with out my consent?

No, it's against the T&C's. If anyone uses your material on this forum without your consent, flag it up with the mods.

The media of my surgery. The before and after pics, etc. I do not wish that my pics are used in any other way except for here in this forum.  I do not want videos made with pictures of me in them, or of my hair.

The issue you have with anything you post on the net is you lose control of who sees the material and what they do with it. You can add watermarks which can be tracked but then you have the issue of enforcement.

Basically, as an individual you should anonymize the material and not publish anything you don't want the whole world (internet) to see/use.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NikosHair said:

You really need official guidance from @Melvin- Moderator

But here's my take on it:

No 

No, it's against the T&C's. If anyone uses your material on this forum without your consent, flag it up with the mods.

The issue you have with anything you post on the net is you lose control of who sees the material and what they do with it. You can add watermarks which can be tracked but then you have the issue of enforcement.

Basically, as an individual you should anonymize the material and not publish anything you don't want the whole world (internet) to see/use.

Thanks for answering. I feel better now. There was a video on YouTube posted yesterday. Wasnt my pics, but similar.  Very similar to my experience.  Was Mark Dominance or something like that? He is in here, I think.

I just didn't want this forum, or moderators, to include pics of me, that I felt were safe to post here and make a video making fun of me. "Dont be like this guy" video.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Well, in practice, totally yes. This is a public forum. No one can stop anyone from extracting the data you post. There are even mass-indexing websites that store everything that happens on the internet without "your consent".

That said, if a bussiness (like this forum) uses your photos, im sure you can sue them to remove them with high success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael D said:

Thanks for answering. I feel better now. There was a video on YouTube posted yesterday. Wasnt my pics, but similar.  Very similar to my experience.  Was Mark Dominance or something like that? He is in here, I think.

I just didn't want this forum, or moderators, to include pics of me, that I felt were safe to post here and make a video making fun of me. "Dont be like this guy" video.

Thank you very much!

It is pretty common for youtubers to use other people posts images. In this case what you can do is ask him directly to remove them if he did it, and if he is not a psycho most of the time he will respect your concerns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

It is pretty common for youtubers to use other people posts images. In this case what you can do is ask him directly to remove them if he did it, and if he is not a psycho most of the time he will respect your concerns.

yea... a person should ask first anyway. Would have been weird if I saw my ugly mug on someone's video, lol

I'm sure it would surprise anyone to see their pic.

Thanks!  I'm new here, LOL!!

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Michael D said:

We do own the rights. Sometimes pictures posted here or threads may be used for educational purposes like this video.

But I have no problems taking it down if the patient complains. If you’re posting something publicly, you should assume it’s being shared publicly as well. There are direct share links to Facebook, Reddit, etc. Other users may share it without you knowing. So if you don’t want it public, don’t post it. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

We do own the rights. Sometimes pictures posted here or threads may be used for educational purposes like this video.

But I have no problems taking it down if the patient complains. If you’re posting something publicly, you should assume it’s being shared publicly as well. There are direct share links to Facebook, Reddit, etc. Other users may share it without you knowing. So if you don’t want it public, don’t post it. 

Wasn't complaining.  Just wanted to know. Thanks!!

38 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

We do own the rights.

Where does it say in the T&C's you own the rights to our image(s)?

It says: 

You will not provide a User Submission that:

• contains the image of any person, without that person’s express permission.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, NikosHair said:

Where does it say in the T&C's you own the rights to our image(s)?

It says: 

You will not provide a User Submission that:

• contains the image of any person, without that person’s express permission.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/terms/

License:

We welcome your User Submissions on our Web Sites. However, for any User Submissions you post, upload, or otherwise make available ("Provide") to the Web Sites, you grant Media Visions, Inc., its affiliates and related entities, including the Web Sites and their affiliated newsletters, web sites, and other media, a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, publicly display, make minor modifications that do not substantively alter submissions, adapt, translate, archive, store such User Submissions, in any form, format, or medium, of any kind now known or later developed. Without limiting the generality of the previous sentence, you authorize Media Visions to share the User Submission across all Web Sites and other media affiliated with Media Visions, to include the User Submission in a searchable format accessible by users of the Web Sites, to place advertisements in close proximity to such User Submission, and to use your name, likeness and any other information in connection with its use of the User Submissions you provide. All rights in this paragraph are granted without the need for additional compensation of any sort to you.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 11.57.27 AM.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I didn't see that, joining this forum. but I thought there might be some rights you might have that weren't so obvious. It was in the back of my head, kinda.

Watching that new vid yesterday, that I was talking about, and it kinda touched on the stuff concerning me and the places like where I went to. Something like that. I started looking to see if there was a pic of me next. I'm glad there wasn't. I just don't want to be the butt of any jokes. I don't want everyone to know I had a hair transplant. Everybody is different.

Remember, in that thread,  I was told that I deserve whatever I get, nobody wished me luck. Was some evil stuff said to me on here.

I came back. I'm still new here. I like this place. Maybe I can help someone down the road.

I am sure it has helped more than it has made to feel......you know,,,...  what you all did to me.

For the record, I don't want my pic, or info, or anything used by the admin. Hope that is OK.

EDIT: If that is not OK, I'll just erase all my stuff and GTFOH!

Edited by Michael D
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Michael D said:

Remember, in that thread,  I was told that I deserve whatever I get, nobody wished me luck. Was some evil stuff said to me on here.

I came back. I'm still new here. I like this place. Maybe I can help someone down the road.

I am sure it has helped more than it has made to feel......you know,,,...  what you all did to me.

no one on your original thread said anything evil or mean. You clearly were going to a bad clinic, and a bunch of people who have been on this forum for years were trying to help you avoid a really bad mistake. 

No one should give you faux compliments or false optimism/hope when everything about the clinic is a screaming red flag. 

The most decent and respectful thing anyone could do was to firmly explain why you were making a bad decision. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Michael D said:

I didn't see that, joining this forum. but I thought there might be some rights you might have that weren't so obvious. It was in the back of my head, kinda.

Watching that new vid yesterday, that I was talking about, and it kinda touched on the stuff concerning me and the places like where I went to. Something like that. I started looking to see if there was a pic of me next. I'm glad there wasn't. I just don't want to be the butt of any jokes. I don't want everyone to know I had a hair transplant. Everybody is different.

For the record, I don't want my pic, or info, or anything used by the admin. Hope that is OK.

EDIT: If that is not OK, I'll just erase all my stuff and GTFOH!

That’s fine, we value everyone’s privacy. Like I said, if someone takes issue with their photos or thread being used for educational purposes, we will remove them. That said, best to not post anything you don’t want public. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

3 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That’s fine, we value everyone’s privacy. Like I said, if someone takes issue with their photos or thread being used for educational purposes, we will remove them. That said, best to not post anything you don’t want public. 

Understood. Sounds fair. Thank you!

• Thanks 1