15 month in. Is this normal?

Hi All,

Had an FUE in September 2021 on the crown. Had my last check up in July and and I have seen no improvement on the back. My clinic has asked me to go back in March (after the 18 month) to assess.

just looking for peoples view and experience. Although the top up would be free of charge I don’t have much desire to have another, so I am hoping it will fill in.

FB758C28-21C7-4F4A-AF0D-D7BB015E3D24.jpeg.e8d1d8762053039cf8ddb135ed79a330.jpegJuly 

34F1379B-FC7B-4650-8DC4-76D74EE94F93.jpeg.fd1ed87db29bcb099696b7c900dd612a.jpegtoday 

I didn’t see your pre surgery pictures so it’s hard to judge.

However, I think it’s unlikely you’ll have significantly more coverage from here.

Perhaps they’ll offer a shave less procedure to minimise the inconvenience - small surgeries / top ups should be possible without fully shaving your head.

• Administrators

Hard to say without before pictures. My crown is very similar. But my starting point was very bad.

E81DFB61-7F34-47F6-BC15-AB5958CEBB7F.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well, clearly there's a big change in the frontal crown part, and there is no improvement in the back, so I would say its unlikely it will improve any further.

It seems like you should go for a touch-up. Don't feel bitter about it because a HT is never perfect and it is common to get touchups. Something like 800 graft could be enough to cover it if you have enough donor. 

You posted no surgery photos at all though -- if you believe it is 100% negligence from the surgeon, then I would def choose another one for a touch up.

If you want some comparisons, I posted pictures every couple weeks after my 5,000 graft surgery in 2012.  I did have an additional 2,000 FUE two years later.  Check out the archives and compare with your results on my website.  MyFUEhairtransplant.com

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, Johnny76001565 said:

Sorry, with surgery photos now. Thank you for your reply!

BC04D96B-56EB-4D0E-95F0-2FF69D202A57.jpeg

I think I just understood what is happening. Indeed the density is about the same everywhere, but in the back, the hairs are angled downwards, on the front, the hairs are angled forwards (naturally). Depending on how they angled your grafts, and the switch in directions on that area, coupled with not enough density, makes sense that there is a bit of a gap area on the back.

I think it requires a touch up but dont feel discouraged or "scammed" imo. These are grafts that you needed anyway, and the crown is very tricky, happens to a lot of people that they need a few passes.

@Johnny76001565,

At 15 months post-op, your results should pretty much be fully grown in with the exception of some minor but additional thickening.  So without seeing any before photos, I can’t really make an assessment as to his growth field.  At this point, I think it’s pretty safe to discuss next steps with your surgeon but he feels it’s better to wait the full 18 months, and you can discuss the results with him at that time.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Moderators

I would try sweeping some of the crown hair back a bit and sort of making the part at the crown more towards the mid scalp. It may provide better coverage and be less noticeable. I don't know if that will work for you or not, but the idea is to try a few slightly different styles.

image.png.7b56d180fcf2c1671d5f67606b964d74.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.