Does a HT fix your self-confidence? Looking for experiences.

Jonas Medin

8 hours ago, botchedguy95 said:

Depends, if you go to a good and ethical clinic it can, if you go to a bad clinic it can destroy you. I went to ASMED years ago and I am still trying yo get my life back together after my horrible experience, if you have a bad result you will live in a world of shame and regret, it will permeate every aspect of your life, social life, work life.. everything

Sorry @botchedguy95 to hear about this and it makes me a bit nervous. Isn't ASMED supposed to be a reputable clinic referred to in this forum? How could I make sure to stay away from "hairmills" if many of them have good reviews?

2 hours ago, bear56 said:

what confidence are we talking about? 

Honestly @bear56 I haven't thought that much about what type of confidence I might be lacking in this case. I think that a lot of it is about myself and the fact that I want to look good for myself (when looking at myself in the mirror), but of course this is not the only explanation. To be confirmed from others is also a factor that makes a HT more interesting for me. 

A hair transplant can help you feel more confident depending on where you started off in terms of hair loss by making you look younger or even more like your age again. 

The issues of self confidence though being boosted by a HT sometimes might only work in tandem with other wholesale changes in your lifestyle such as getting in shape, finding your dream job and income. 

You definitely can find a boost overall, but i don't think anybody should go into a HT thinking it will be the magic bullet to change your life which you already highlighted but unfortunately some people do think like that and it needs to be countered. 

I personally feel a bit more confident with the framing of the temple points but there's much more in my eyes that i would work on that would probably have benefitted me in terms of confidence apart from just a hair transplant, but i would for sure say its a pretty big part of something i wanted to tick off and sooner rather than later because i think how it takes 12+ months for results and also, you could require a 2nd procedure for density and so whilst you get a hair transplant, you can use that time to work in tandem on getting in shape, fixing your style and even getting a better paying job. It will all come together to create a much better wholesale change than just a HT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonas Medin said:

Honestly @bear56 I haven't thought that much about what type of confidence I might be lacking in this case. I think that a lot of it is about myself and the fact that I want to look good for myself (when looking at myself in the mirror), but of course this is not the only explanation. To be confirmed from others is also a factor that makes a HT more interesting for me. 

your question was a very good one and so were all the answers you received. the 3 different confidence  categories are only to help you to narrow it down . ultimately you want to fall into the faith based category. there is nothing wrong with wanting to look good for yourself. i think most of us do. the 3 categories merely point out that confidence does not just result from the physical (body) but also through the development of the mind and spirit. a hair transplant might as a side effect boost your confidence and it probably will but is not the end of it all. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, Jonas Medin said:

During the recent years I have got more and more bothered with my thinning hair and the fact that my hairline goes higher and higher. On one hand I'm thinking that if I do a hair transplant, I will get rid of the disturbing ideas in my head that I don't look the way I want to look. On the other hand, I'm not sure that my new hair will solve this problem. Therefore I am looking for all of you on this forum who already made a hair transplant: what are your experiences? Do you feel better about yourself after the HT? Do you get more looks from people on the street (= more confirmation)? Or are you actually just finding new "problems" with the way you look and continue being unsatisfied?

Just to be clear; I'm not so much interested in opinions like "You can't solve a bad self esteem with a surgery". Rather, I want to know the real experience from people who have had a HT. Thanks in advance! 🙂

/ Jonas, Sweden

Hello man,

You need first to identify the roots of your insecurity. From my expericen humans are not very complicated, for a man confidence issue is usually physical appearance or social status. If for example the roots of your insecurity is a low wage or a bad job obviously HT is not fixing your problem. 

As you said your problem seems to be your external look. And obviously for this HT wil be a big benefit specially with women. OF COURSE  now I am more confident with my black new hair compared with my sparse gray hair I had before the surgery. And with a modern haircut I look with ease 5 years younger. How can I not be happy ?

Hair is important BUT is not the only thing. You need to work aswell on other aspects of your externals not only the hair. A bit ashamed to admit I learned unfortunately relatively recently how to dress properly to look good and I am 40. I used a somehow a sport style since few years ago and this was harmfull.

The way you speak is important aswell to boost your confidence, you need to work and train on this if you know you have issues. So to summarize you need to work on yourself continously to boost and keep your confidence high in my opinion but hair transplant (if made properly) can be a solid beginning.

Edited by Alexx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also wonder if the confidence lasts for like 10 years or so and then once you start losing more hair and its noticeable that youve had a HT, does that severely affect long term HT users? The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on a HT is the feeling like I'm just going to have to do more and more to keep up with future loss. I'm 36 and taking fin btw

Depends on how severe the hair loss is and how much you personally value aesthetic appearance in life. Maybe, maybe not. I’d say a good HT can definitely help the way you feel about your aesthetic appearance, but true confidence in life is more innate. If you decide to have ultimate confidence in life, you’re going to have it regardless of a hair situation. You can be your own God…if you choose to be. 

Edited by general-etwan

I wanted to fill up my temples. Went for a HT and they messed it up. Horrible hairline. Horrible density. 
it made me feel much much worse than before the HT

A year later I went for a repair with the best surgeon I could find, Fuegenix in The Netherlands. And the results have been amazing so far. 
It really boosted my confidence and I don’t have to think about my hair anymore. 

So for me it did wonders, but it might be different for everyone. 

You can see my story here:

Edited by Pubichair

14 hours ago, HairyCarey said:

I also wonder if the confidence lasts for like 10 years or so and then once you start losing more hair and its noticeable that youve had a HT, does that severely affect long term HT users? The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on a HT is the feeling like I'm just going to have to do more and more to keep up with future loss. I'm 36 and taking fin btw

As a general rule, I think it's always a good idea for anyone getting a hair transplant to mentally prepare for eventually needing a second one down the road for exactly the reason you mentioned: Hair loss is progressive and there will likely be future hair loss that you might want to address one day. The difference is whether or not that's enough to deter you from getting one. I think if you're able to accept that as a simple reality of hair restoration, it may help you reframe it in your mind in a way that it doesn't feel so negative. If you don't end up needing a second one, then it's icing on the cake... But it's always important to properly manage expectations. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

8 minutes ago, pkipling said:

As a general rule, I think it's always a good idea for anyone getting a hair transplant to mentally prepare for eventually needing a second one down the road for exactly the reason you mentioned: Hair loss is progressive and there will likely be future hair loss that you might want to address one day. The difference is whether or not that's enough to deter you from getting one. I think if you're able to accept that as a simple reality of hair restoration, it may help you reframe it in your mind in a way that it doesn't feel so negative. If you don't end up needing a second one, then it's icing on the cake... But it's always important to properly manage expectations. 

I got cold feet just the other day. Had a consultation with Dr Benham, and I got the same feeling you did, about 'feeling like he was the right doctor'. Then his sales guy came in to close the deal and I just got really weird vibes from him. A real slick operator, needy, and he pointed to his hairline and said look how good Benham's work is, and it looked awful. Man, the timing and convenience and price were all there. I was gonna have the procedure on New Years. Was quoted 2k grafts just like you, but I honestly think I have a lot more hairloss / thin hair than you , which was also concerning. So I cancelled.

I've been trying to rush this to have it heal in time for a family members wedding in october, but I think I need to be okay not rushing it. Everytime I look in the mirror I want it now, but its such an important / permanant decision. Maybe I will cancel with Camacho in Bogota Hairlines in march as well, but I need to see...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2022 at 11:07 AM, HairyCarey said:

I got cold feet just the other day. Had a consultation with Dr Benham, and I got the same feeling you did, about 'feeling like he was the right doctor'. Then his sales guy came in to close the deal and I just got really weird vibes from him. A real slick operator, needy, and he pointed to his hairline and said look how good Benham's work is, and it looked awful. Man, the timing and convenience and price were all there. I was gonna have the procedure on New Years. Was quoted 2k grafts just like you, but I honestly think I have a lot more hairloss / thin hair than you , which was also concerning. So I cancelled.

I've been trying to rush this to have it heal in time for a family members wedding in october, but I think I need to be okay not rushing it. Everytime I look in the mirror I want it now, but its such an important / permanant decision. Maybe I will cancel with Camacho in Bogota Hairlines in march as well, but I need to see...

Personally, I commend you for trusting your gut and not moving forward with something you were unsure of. Stay patient, and keep reminding yourself that there really is no rush. Time always moves by faster than we realize, so even if you don't get a procedure for another 18 months, it will be here before you know it. 

Stay optimistic, keep researching, and keep listening to your gut/instincts! 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators
On 12/22/2022 at 11:07 AM, HairyCarey said:

You made a wise choice. Never RUSH!! A wedding is one day, your hair transplant will be with you forever. So choose wisely.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.