Saline spray after scab removal?

BlkHairTrans

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed somewhere. I just removed my scabs today after a hair transplant, do I still need to spray saline solution on the recipient area? Today is day 10 after a FUE transplant

20221205_184437.jpg

Looks nice! Yeah I beleive you're good and past that phase. My understanding is that it's to keep the area hydrated and the scabs from affecting the grafts in a negative manner and day 10 after that wash you're gonna be ok.

Thank you for responding. Okay. I will stop using it. Also, right now I am nervous because i fear i may have removed alot of hairs while removing the scabs. Even though I was really gentle. Looking at the picture, does the transplant area in the front look normal?

Thanks alot. I expected to see alot of scabs and hairs, which I did. But the my only concern is the circle or bulb like material that came off as well. Please see image attached. I saw alot of those and that scared the c**p out of me. It looks similar to the hair strand right next to out avatar but without the hair. I will be contacting my clinic for an opinion on this. I hope it's just regular scabs or nothing more.

20221206_020108.jpg

Screenshot_20221206_015849_Gallery.jpg

I personally see no bulb anywhere 🤔

a graft looks like this

Limits of Hair Transplants and Hair Loss Drugs (Finasteride and Minoxidil)

if you see a hair that ends in a black bulb, that would be a dislodged graft, but if the bulb or tip is just white, skin or blood, its not a graft, its just surrounding tissue

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

4 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

I personally see no bulb anywhere 🤔

a graft looks like this

Limits of Hair Transplants and Hair Loss Drugs (Finasteride and Minoxidil)

if you see a hair that ends in a black bulb, that would be a dislodged graft, but if the bulb or tip is just white, skin or blood, its not a graft, its just surrounding tissue

Thanks alot. The clinic suggested it is just scabs too. Thanks again

Everything seems quite normal.  Relax and enjoy the hair growth in 3-4 months.  Send us some pictures in a few months.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

@BlkHairTrans,

To be honest, each doctor has their own unique set of postoperative instructions and not every physician includes this.  Saline spray is used to help keep the scalp clean and prevent infection.  At 10 days postop the newly transplanted hair is fully secured and given that your scabs are fully removed, there shouldn’t be any need to keep applying saline spray - although it obviously won’t hurt anything if you continue to do so. 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@BlkHairTrans,

To be honest, each doctor has their own unique set of postoperative instructions and not every physician includes this.  Saline spray is used to help keep the scalp clean and prevent infection.  At 10 days postop the newly transplanted hair is fully secured and given that your scabs are fully removed, there shouldn’t be any need to keep applying saline spray - although it obviously won’t hurt anything if you continue to do so. 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

@Rahal Hair Transplant Does the saline spray help with graft rate survival? Like in any way does it provide them with moisture needed to fully secure and get the hydration that they need to survive the operation? Or is the saline spray just for infection?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 4:39 PM, Ralph kaka said:

@Rahal Hair Transplant Does the saline spray help with graft rate survival? Like in any way does it provide them with moisture needed to fully secure and get the hydration that they need to survive the operation? Or is the saline spray just for infection?

Lorenzo has spoken about how it prevents excessive fibrin accumulation/scab formation, which is thought to help graft survival. I haven't been able to find studies specific to hair graft survival with different post operative care regimens.

Edited by consequence