how often do you take finasteride?

Gregg H

1mg daily is the way to go if you do not get side affects 

However, I do not see anything wrong with 3-4 times a week.. especially since it is incredibly expensive.  Sadly it's 45$ a month in my area, so that means no more expensive restaurants or bars for me on the weekend.. 

1mg daily, have been for years. 5mg once a week sounds interesting, never heard of that. I know some women get prescribed 5mg and are told to cut into 2.5s for daily which I find interesting as well, seems like a lot.

3 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

However, I do not see anything wrong with 3-4 times a week.. especially since it is incredibly expensive.  Sadly it's 45$ a month in my area, so that means no more expensive restaurants or bars for me on the weekend.. 

I’m assuming that’s brand name propecia? You can get a 90 day supply at Costco for the generic at around $14

1 hour ago, 5BetaReductase said:

I’m assuming that’s brand name propecia? You can get a 90 day supply at Costco for the generic at around $14

Everything is cheap in America.   In Italy, Spain and Malta... brand or no brand, it costs over $40 per 30 tablets (1mg)

I would definitely start off taking 1mg daily and see how you respond to it. Reducing it to every other day is fine, but daily would likely be the optimal path if it's possible for you. 

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I'm thinking of starting on finasteride. How effective have people found it?

I'm still trying to research it as I've heard it can cause a loss of sex drive so I'm slightly dubious. Plus it isn't the cheapest.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:55 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

I haven’t really looked into that as i live in the states. I vaguely remember people in the the uk use https://www.doctorfox.co.uk

I know there are websites like inhousepharmacy that ship to many countries as well.

maybe reach out to @sl as he is very helpful and based in Europe. 

Yes I am definitely interested if possible to ship within Europe. @sl please contact me when possible. Thanks

On 11/29/2022 at 12:25 PM, vance7 said:

I'm thinking of starting on finasteride. How effective have people found it?

I'm still trying to research it as I've heard it can cause a loss of sex drive so I'm slightly dubious. Plus it isn't the cheapest.

It's one of the very few options scientifically proven to slow down hair loss, and is extremely effective. As with any medication, there are risks of side effects, including sexual ones such as decreased libido and softer erections. While the vast majority of men seem to be able to take it without any side effects at all, it's still a possibility. However, as someone who did experience some side effects with it and stopped taking it, I still think it's extremely valuable and worth a shot - especially if you're on track to have advanced hair loss. Chances are very good that you won't experience side effects, and it really is a game changer for many men. 

As for the price, I don't know what country you're in, but it's typically extremely cheap. In the United States, you can typically get a 30-day supply of 5mg finasteride for under $10, cut each pill into quarters, and have 4 months worth of medication for dirt cheap.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

2 hours ago, pkipling said:

It's one of the very few options scientifically proven to slow down hair loss, and is extremely effective. As with any medication, there are risks of side effects, including sexual ones such as decreased libido and softer erections. While the vast majority of men seem to be able to take it without any side effects at all, it's still a possibility. However, as someone who did experience some side effects with it and stopped taking it, I still think it's extremely valuable and worth a shot - especially if you're on track to have advanced hair loss. Chances are very good that you won't experience side effects, and it really is a game changer for many men. 

As for the price, I don't know what country you're in, but it's typically extremely cheap. In the United States, you can typically get a 30-day supply of 5mg finasteride for under $10, cut each pill into quarters, and have 4 months worth of medication for dirt cheap.

I heard it's super cheap at costco too. 

On 12/1/2022 at 3:16 AM, pkipling said:

Thanks mate.

I looked further into it and decided to take the plunge. I'm from England and managed to get a 24 week prescription for 51p a tablet: https://pharmica.uk/hair-loss/finasteride/

On 11/26/2022 at 7:14 AM, Ryan Daniel said:

that’s crazy lol I got a prescription from Dr pan(affiliated with Dr Mohebi) of 3 month supply for $16. You are getting screwed.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

Is Costco a supermarket ? Can you physically go in the store and buy finasteride there?

10 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Is Costco a supermarket ? Can you physically go in the store and buy finasteride there?

It’s a “big box store” in the US that requires membership. However, at least in my area, the pharmacy may be accessed by non members as well by law.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 10:10 PM, sl said:

Hi Ryan no problems..if you email me stephen@bhrclinic.com and let me know personal details then I will be able to help. 

Hi there,

Can you also help me with that? I live in Switzerland and here I have to pay at least 70$ per month...

Would be great