minoxidil tablets as effective as putting it on liquid form on the scalp?

patrick1916

Oral minoxidil has a systemic effect so could potentially have more side effects, but could be more effective. 

Topical minoxidil requires you to have the sulfotransferase enzyme to convert to minoxidil so that it will be effective. Some people don't have the sulfotransferase enzyme. Oral does not need that enzyme.

Oral minoxidil is MUCH more effective. I was using topical for 3 years and I had minimal results. I have used oral for the last 6 months and it's insane the progress. Thicker fuller hair on my mid scalp, and even some gain on my hairline. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Smacias15 said:

5mg a day is a lot. You think 2.5 mg a day will be effective?

5mg is a lot in what regard? I am not sure if 2.5mg is effective since I have only been on 5mg. They also sell 10mg tablets, but not 2.5mg..

1 hour ago, Kdegen said:

5mg is a lot in what regard? I am not sure if 2.5mg is effective since I have only been on 5mg. They also sell 10mg tablets, but not 2.5mg..

5mg daily is a lot no? I got prescribed by Dr Pan(same doctor as Melvin) for 2.5mg and instructed to take 1 tablet of 2.5mg per day. Do you know if that’s the norm?

28 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

5mg daily is a lot no? I got prescribed by Dr Pan(same doctor as Melvin) for 2.5mg and instructed to take 1 tablet of 2.5mg per day. Do you know if that’s the norm?

The norm is 5mg a day at least from the 7-8 people I know who take oral. I was prescribed this by Dr. Path in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m on 5mg daily for months with zero sides. I’m a huge fan of this medicine. What’s so odd is when I tried topical minox years ago, I would get awful heart palpitations. With the oral form I don’t experience a single side effect. 5mg once at night works best for me. 

On 11/17/2022 at 7:34 AM, patrick1916 said:

I put it on my scalp but would reconsider popping a pill every day it's easier. Any feedback?

I took oral 2.5mg but had to stop due to chest pain. Everyone is different tho so it's worth a try. 

Gents I was on a work trip this week ..Monday to Thursday ..opened my bag in hotel on Monday evening and PANIC ! Left the OM at home ..96 hours without Doesnt bring you back to Baseline starting all over again does anyone know ? 
I started mid October 2022 on 2.5 mg daily …I double popped this morning ( 5mg ) as some kind of a clawback .

Any thoughts ? 
my fear being I might be inducing another “ newbie” on OM shed in 3 to 4 weeks ? 

Edited by Zoomster
  • Wow 1

18 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I'm on 5mg per day prescribed by my dermatologist.

Have you experienced any side effects from OM? I have my surgery with Dr. Pitella scheduled for the  of March and he wants me to take OM, but I'm worried about the potential side effects. 

On 1/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, MiradaEast said:

Is it best to take it in the morning or night? Or does it matter ?

I take 1.8mg sublingual minoxidil every morning.

I believe the preference is to take it at night because of the potential side effect of dizziness (so you dont collapse while up doing things etc). However, I take mine each morning because it works better with my routine. My dermatologist said that should be fine unless I experience sides, which I haven't.

The drug is working too. I've found it great for thickening and strengthening previously thinning hairs.

Edited by Viney
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor
18 hours ago, Zoomster said:

Gents I was on a work trip this week ..Monday to Thursday ..opened my bag in hotel on Monday evening and PANIC ! Left the OM at home ..96 hours without Doesnt bring you back to Baseline starting all over again does anyone know ? 
I started mid October 2022 on 2.5 mg daily …I double popped this morning ( 5mg ) as some kind of a clawback .

Any thoughts ? 
my fear being I might be inducing another “ newbie” on OM shed in 3 to 4 weeks ? 

@Zoomster I wouldn’t worry mate. I’ve been two weeks off the drug and at least another week post op next week. From what the good doctor has told me it won’t be a problem. 

Edited by Gatsby
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:24 PM, Kdegen said:

Oral minoxidil is MUCH more effective. I was using topical for 3 years and I had minimal results. I have used oral for the last 6 months and it's insane the progress. Thicker fuller hair on my mid scalp, and even some gain on my hairline. 

Any gains in your donor hair?

• Valued Contributor
13 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Interesting. I deal with retrograde could it help at all with that? Red light and finasteride don’t seem to be fixing retorgrade for me

I found that it helped in growing hair in the nape of my neck and has thickened hair above my hairs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

I found that it helped in growing hair in the nape of my neck and has thickened hair above my hairs.

Great to here. Did your hair characteristics seem to change? Almost like thicker hair all over your scalp then you remember from before? 5mg right?

Edited by JoDimaggio22

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Great to here. Did your hair characteristics seem to change? Almost like thicker hair all over your scalp then you remember from before? 5mg right?

Yes my hair all over the scalp is just 'thicker'.' That's really the best way to explain it.