Dr Konior FUE - 1200 grafts

Hello everyone,

As of today, I have now finally completed my first HT.

Firstly, I just wanted to thank this forum. It was through this forum that I found Dr Konior, and let me just say, he lives up to his reputation.

I have been corresponding with him since 2020, and we've had a couple of reschedules due to covid. I have pretty much drained his life with the amount of questions, worries, and just hair-fretting in general. Yet, he replies personally to each concern, and at length, and ultimately just takes the times out of his day to make sure his patients are of piece of mind. He is the most accessable and approachable surgeon I have ever interacted with, and it's not even close.

I travelled from Australia (big hike), and arrived yesterday afternoon. 

Day of the surgery:

I arrived at the office at 6:30, and was met by the lovely Karen (who also helped me a TONNE during the pre-surger comms). All of his staff are welcoming, funny, and just make you feel at home. It's relaxed, but extremely professional. People always talk about what a great team they all are, and that's the absolutely truth. 

Dr K spent the first portion of the day discussing my goals, his philosophy, and we just had a general chat about life. To put it bluntly for fellow Aussies, he's just an awesome bloke. 

I am 31, and my family has EXTENSIVE balding in the family. As such, I suggested a very conservative approach, with the temples and sides filled in, but no lowering of the hairline. I have also been on fin and oral minoxidil for 6 years, and this has held me at baseline. Dr K and I agreed, that if I am still at baseline in a few years, I will return to lower the hairline.

The reason he preaches conservative approaches, is ultimately because he is all about future-proofing your loss. And his utilisation of grafts is a testament to this.

The surgery itself was fine, the only painful part was the donor numbing. I have both of my legs and chest tattood, and this was even painful for me. It doesn't last very long, though, so it was fine.

You are given Valiums to relax, and due to jet lag, I slept for a great deal. Before I knew it, it was 4pm and I was finished.

Concerning Dr involvement: Dr K is there for the entire procedure, and extracts all the grafts on his own, with an assistant removing them and for insertion. He then does the insertion also.

The thing that drew me to Dr K, was not only his amazing results, but his bedside manner, how personable he is, and how much he seems to care. And he really does, it's very comforting to have a surgeon that truly instills trust in you prior to an operation.

I know my procedure was relatively small, but the recessed corners had been bothering me for a long time. Every single day, always wearing my hair super long, etc. One plus, is that he said my donor is excellent, so I think the meds are doing their trick (at least for now).

I've attaches some pics, and will upload some donor photos once the dressing comes off. There's also a pic prior to surgery, which shows in full view how far back my hair was getting. Feel free to shoot me a message or comment with any questions. I also haven't got the breakdown of grafts, but I think if was approx 1200, as that's what we agreed upon.

2022-11-16 17_25_54.977-0600~2.jpg

2022-11-16 17_29_18.357-0600~2.jpg

PXL_20221116_233136488~2.jpg

312848213_3024315281200601_163075096789254898_n~2.jpg

Edited by HelpfulFriend
  • Like 3

• HelpfulFriend changed the title to Dr Konior FUE - 1200 grafts
1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

You have gone to arguably one of the best @HelpfulFriend. The work looks excellent. I hope you update your journey here. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Gatsby, I definitely will.

Thank you for your advice over the years, too, you have helped me navigate this space on more than on occasion.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hello everyone,

As of today, I have now finally completed my first HT.

Firstly, I just wanted to thank this forum. It was through this forum that I found Dr Konior, and let me just say, he lives up to his reputation.

I have been corresponding with him since 2020, and we've had a couple of reschedules due to covid. I have pretty much drained his life with the amount of questions, worries, and just hair-fretting in general. Yet, he replies personally to each concern, and at length, and ultimately just takes the times out of his day to make sure his patients are of piece of mind. He is the most accessable and approachable surgeon I have ever interacted with, and it's not even close.

I travelled from Australia (big hike), and arrived yesterday afternoon. 

Day of the surgery:

I arrived at the office at 6:30, and was met by the lovely Karen (who also helped me a TONNE during the pre-surger comms). All of his staff are welcoming, funny, and just make you feel at home. It's relaxed, but extremely professional. People always talk about what a great team they all are, and that's the absolutely truth. 

Dr K spent the first portion of the day discussing my goals, his philosophy, and we just had a general chat about life. To put it bluntly for fellow Aussies, he's just an awesome bloke. 

I am 31, and my family has EXTENSIVE balding in the family. As such, I suggested a very conservative approach, with the temples and sides filled in, but no lowering of the hairline. I have also been on fin and oral minoxidil for 6 years, and this has held me at baseline. Dr K and I agreed, that if I am still at baseline in a few years, I will return to lower the hairline.

The reason he preaches conservative approaches, is ultimately because he is all about future-proofing your loss. And his utilisation of grafts is a testament to this.

The surgery itself was fine, the only painful part was the donor numbing. I have both of my legs and chest tattood, and this was even painful for me. It doesn't last very long, though, so it was fine.

You are given Valiums to relax, and due to jet lag, I slept for a great deal. Before I knew it, it was 4pm and I was finished.

The thing that drew me to Dr K, was not only his amazing results, but his bedside manner, how personable he is, and how much he seems to care. And he really does, it's very comforting to have a surgeon that truly instills trust in you prior to an operation.

I know my procedure was relatively small, but the recessed corners had been bothering me for a long time. Every single day, always wearing my hair super long, etc. One plus, is that he said my donor is excellent, so I think the meds are doing their trick (at least for now).

I've attaches some pics, and will upload some donor photos once the dressing comes off. There's also a pic prior to surgery, which shows in full view how far back my hair was getting. Feel free to shoot me a message or comment with any questions. I also haven't got the breakdown of grafts, but I think if was approx 1200, as that's what we agreed upon.

2022-11-16 17_25_54.977-0600~2.jpg

2022-11-16 17_29_18.357-0600~2.jpg

PXL_20221116_233136488~2.jpg

312848213_3024315281200601_163075096789254898_n~2.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story and look forwards to your results. 

I think just looking at your before picture there at the end, you definitely made a smart choice and i think just the new framing the temporal areas being more closed off will make you feel significantly better about how it looks. 

In some ways, my hair was very much like yours but not having any temple points on mine probably made it look worse. They do definitely help frame the face and the fact yours still look solid should mean you get a great looking result sooner rather than later too with the temporal closure. 

Good luck with your post-op healing and stick indoors and heal up for as long as you can before you travel. You always want to minimise any potential risk till the grafts anchor within the first 10 days. 

28 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Thanks for sharing your story and look forwards to your results. 

I think just looking at your before picture there at the end, you definitely made a smart choice and i think just the new framing the temporal areas being more closed off will make you feel significantly better about how it looks. 

In some ways, my hair was very much like yours but not having any temple points on mine probably made it look worse. They do definitely help frame the face and the fact yours still look solid should mean you get a great looking result sooner rather than later too with the temporal closure. 

Good luck with your post-op healing and stick indoors and heal up for as long as you can before you travel. You always want to minimise any potential risk till the grafts anchor within the first 10 days. 

Thanks Narmak, that was my thought more or less. See if I can get an aesthetic change whilst remaining conservative.

I'm not flying out for another 6 days, so hopefully I can remain accident free between then and when I'm home. Pretty paranoid about knocking the old noggin.

Looks awesome, I was actually there today for my cleaning, had my surgery with Dr Nadimi on Monday, will post very soon, just arrived home after a long drive, and yes everyone there is amazing, the techs are wonderful and very caring, I will definitely stop in to say hello to the entire team when I’m in Chicago. 

you undoubtedly will get a good result going to Konior. 

That being said, you look like a NW3 or even a NW4, and I would be surprised if this is "one-and-done". Even for a NW2, 1200 grafts is on the smaller side of things. So even considering Konior's skill, I would still be surprised if 1200 grafts is enough to provide good density. 

1 hour ago, HelpfulFriend said:

I'm not flying out for another 6 days, so hopefully I can remain accident free between then and when I'm home. Pretty paranoid about knocking the old noggin.

It might be too late or costly to reschedule your flight, but fyi 2-3 days is definitely enough time to rest before flying home. 

On 11/16/2022 at 8:31 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

you undoubtedly will get a good result going to Konior. 

That being said, you look like a NW3 or even a NW4, and I would be surprised if this is "one-and-done". Even for a NW2, 1200 grafts is on the smaller side of things. So even considering Konior's skill, I would still be surprised if 1200 grafts is enough to provide good density. 

It might be too late or costly to reschedule your flight, but fyi 2-3 days is definitely enough time to rest before flying home. 

It's not a one and done in the sense of transplants down the road. As mentioned, I wanted to go conservative based on my family's history. If I'm still at this level in a few years, I will lower it again. Just playing it super safe. He said I'm bordering on NW 3, based on how dense everywhere else is other than the part filled in.

The way Dr Konior explained it, is that you want to fill the frontal portion with higher density, 2's and such, and then it's about blending behind it in a strategic manner that gives an illusion of density. I think that's why people often talk about his grafts going "a long way", he seems to really carefully plan out the placement and position of each follicle. 

And yeah, flights are a bit too pricey to change haha

Edited by HelpfulFriend

1 hour ago, Chetman2112 said:

Looks awesome, I was actually there today for my cleaning, had my surgery with Dr Nadimi on Monday, will post very soon, just arrived home after a long drive, and yes everyone there is amazing, the techs are wonderful and very caring, I will definitely stop in to say hello to the entire team when I’m in Chicago. 

That's awesome, mate. Her work is also amazing, I'm sure you're in for a great result. Look forward to hearing your story.

Looks like a perfect result in the hands of a master. So excited for you!

I'll just point out for anyone new reading this, just because I surgeon is friendly and personable doesn't mean they're an expert. The focus should be on their track record of excellence first and foremost.

In Dr Koniors case, he's the best of both worlds :)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

Why the heck what you want to lower your hairline in a few years? this would just look stupid in the long term. 

You are probably correct. I think this is just the 31 year old me that wouldn't mind it lowered. But I'm sure once I'm a bit older, I won't care. I think I just got a bit too excited and got some hair greed when I walked into the office 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

Looks like a perfect result in the hands of a master. So excited for you!

I'll just point out for anyone new reading this, just because I surgeon is friendly and personable doesn't mean they're an expert. The focus should be on their track record of excellence first and foremost.

In Dr Koniors case, he's the best of both worlds :)

Very good point friend, results are definitely king. It was just refreshing to see a surgeon so personable. Not saying they they're all jerks, but Dr K was especially warm and kind.

• Like 3

Hey all, forgot to post this, but this was the donor the day after. Not much to see as I guess it wasn't a huge op, but I know some people like to see how it looks. I think the bottom is where the tape for the dressing was removed.1649546076_PXL_20221118_1810157222.thumb.jpg.9ef8c333603a8d8929e47d66e2697b7c.jpg

Edited by HelpfulFriend
  • Like 2

Hey all, day 3 - nothing to report of yet. 

Dr and the team are happy with how it's looking.

I have been going in each day for a wash, which is great. I'm pretty paranoid about this sort of stuff (am I doing it right, did I mess up the cleaning, etc) - so it's nice to have this completely out of my hands.

Pretty much one wash per day, then leave it be. And on the 3rd/4th day, I can start doing a very gentle shampoo. 

PXL_20221120_195329509~3.jpg

PXL_20221120_195342179~3.jpg

Edited by HelpfulFriend