SMP to thicken hairline and mid scalp? (With longer hair)

Kdegen

Hi guys. So I was debating a HT earlier in my hair loss journey, but through 2021-2022 I have found great success with oral minoxidil and finasteride. Even though things are looking a lot better I was also looking into SMP to maybe thicken my hairline even more as well as mid scalp area. I also have red / auburn hair. Has anyone done this with decent success? If I can pull it off, I can postpone a HT for quite a while. Please let me know what you think, I will attach some photos with wet and dry hair. Thanks! 

2haihaihai.jpg

hairhairhair.jpg

• Administrators

I think you’re a perfect candidate for smp. Let me tag @hairthereand @AheadInkSMP

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have been on oral Minoxidil since April 2022. Previously I started taking Finasteride (1mg every day or every other day) since mid 2021. No side effects from either. Massive growth and thickening since adding oral Minoxidil. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do not recommend SMP for long hair thickening clients with potential for future hair loss. Also your hair color would make it difficult. 

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

On 11/18/2022 at 12:54 PM, hairthere said:

I do not recommend SMP for long hair thickening clients with potential for future hair loss. Also your hair color would make it difficult. 

can you ellaborate why?

I am similar case, but my hair is 100% pure black + ultra white skin, so contrast is massive. When I use toppik, dermmatch or even tan my head, I appear to have a fuller head of hair just from contrast reduction. Wouldnt SMP help with this? (and OP case aswell)

On 11/20/2022 at 12:48 PM, WhereIsMyMind said:

can you ellaborate why?

I am similar case, but my hair is 100% pure black + ultra white skin, so contrast is massive. When I use toppik, dermmatch or even tan my head, I appear to have a fuller head of hair just from contrast reduction. Wouldnt SMP help with this? (and OP case aswell)

Offering a non-professional reply here, its because when our hairs are buzzed down to almost nothing they all appear to be some lighter or darker shade of gray. The blonde or red or even brown coloring we easily see in longer hairs gradually emerges as the hair shafts grow in length. That's why most people getting SMP maintain a buzz cut style. The relative lack of coloring in those extremely short hairs blends in the best with the SMP ink. 

For longer hair I've never seen someone with blonde or red hair use SMP for density. I would suppose its possible, but it would be even more risky because the SMP artist would have to use some reddish/blondish/etc shades of ink to match the coloring in the longer hair shafts. That would really look un-natural on another level if your loss ended up progressing more than your donor hair could acceptably cover down the road. And there's no guarantee all the ink could be removed even with multiple sessions.  If that ended up being the case you'd always have to worry about keeping your head covered even more. Or learn to accept people seeing you like that when you're not wearing a hat or hair piece. Maybe if you were one of those people that like to get alot of tattoos all over your body, more non-traditional in terms of clothes, styling, etc, in general, that scenario would be something you could better roll with by getting traditional tattoos over the SMP area. But if you are just a regular JoeBob working 9-5pm in some cubicle, probably not going to be a path you're willing to take. :D

With darker brown or black hair, if you have your loss under control with medications and/or transplanted hair, with a decent amount of donor hair in the bank so to speak, it can be done. One of our members below has a topic on how he's doing it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info man. Yeah in my case I have pitch black hair (even darker than that thread you posted) + even whiter skin, so I have such massive contrast that even transplant doesnt cover. Im seriously considering SMP for that reason. I hate Toppik (but it works rly good). That guy had very good results !