Has anyone cut in their own hair system

c12345

I used to buy hair systems from Hair Direct in America before they went bust and their systems were always ready to wear. I simply washed them, stuck the tape on and it was all sorted.

My new purchase has very long hair, it completely covers my face so I need to get it cut significantly before attempting to wear it. Does anyone cut in their own hair system? I don't know of any local hairdresser that cuts in hair pieces and I'll look ridiculous trying to wear my hair system on the way to the hairdresser so I just wondered if it is possible to gradually cut the down the hair system inch by inch until it is a sensible length? Greatly appreciate any advice.

Also, can anyone in the UK supply a hair system that is the same style as the old Hair Direct USA hair systems that are ready to wear without any cutting?

6 hours ago, c12345 said:

I don't know of any local hairdresser that cuts in hair pieces

I am not that knowledgable on hair systems, but is cutting a hair system really that different from cutting native hair?

I recommend: 

1) Finding a high-end barber, calling beforehand and just being completely honest. Who cares if you look ridiculous at the barbershop for the 3-5 minutes before he begins cutting your hair?

Or you can walk into the barbershop without the hair system on, and put it on at the barbershop itself, if somehow the commute to the barbsershop gives you anxiety

2) Find some Barber 101 videos on Youtube and cut the hair a bit yourself at home. I'm certain you will still need to go to the barber, but at least that way it wont give you anxiety presenting with hair covering your face. 

• 1 month later...

I have had professional cut ins, a barber cut in and even done my own cut in. It depends on the style of course for the latter.

Stylists tend to cut in and give more time 1-2 hours. Barbers seem to be all about turnover of customers and prefer 15-20 min jobs. That said, its not impossible to get a cut in there, but in my case I wore a piece cut in first and asked the barber to just do my back and sides and of course tell him I was wearing. He got use to this every few weeks

Then after a few visits I asked if he would do a cut in of my next piece. You see a new hair system will have length and volume that could intimidate barbers when most of their customers have thin or balding heads or just go for a short back and sides.

A stylist, unisex or afro caribbean place may be more use to this kind of thing but granted thats not for most of us.

Edited by grincher

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, Fabulous said:

Lordhair have ready-to-wear pieces. 

I don't recommend Lordhair for a cut service. I tried them and one side was shorter than the other. It was truly a horrendous cut. Just my experience