NHI Los Angeles - Dr. Jae Pak

Hello I am 45 year old guy, new to this forum, and am going to share my experience with you; feedback is appreciated. I have my hair restoration surgery for scheduled next week with Dr. Jae Pak at New Hair Institute Los Angeles. Dr. Pak is the protegee of Dr. Bill Rassman, a pioneer in modern hair restoration, and awarded the highest honor in hair restoration surgery in 2004 - the "Golden Follicle Award." Being that this is my first cosmetic surgery, naturally I am a bit nervous, but also am confident is it's the right thing for me, and Dr. Pak has made me feel that I'm in good hands. I visted a couple of other medical practices before deciding on NHI (Bosley was one). A close friend of mine is an HT patient of Dr. Rassman, he now a great hairline, and Finastride has done wonders for him as well. I am flying into LA from Washington DC, so my consultation with Dr. Pak was over the phone after forwarding these ame photos. Dr. Pak comes off as a very personable, intellegent, and straight talking medical professional. NHI is currently running a special rate (for Dr. Pak $4/graft for first 2,500 and $2.50/graft after 2,500; fees are higher for Dr. Rassman) through the holidays for standby patients. In addition they are refunding up to 5% of the process cost to cover travel expenses, as well as paying for my hotel room. After seeing Dr. Pak's work on John Gosselin (John & Kate + 8 TV show

) and then speaking with him, I believe I have selected a world class surgeon at a very good rate. With my tight budget cost is a considerable factor for me, but it's still a far second to selecting the right surgeon. I also checked with the BBB and NHI has an A rating, zero complaints filed within their standard reporting period of 36 months http://www.bbb.org/greater-san...n-ca-66470#complaint

Here is my hair situation today, somewhere around an advanced Class IIA, to a begining Class III per the Norwood rating from what I've been told.

JCaballeroNOV09-2.jpg

JCaballeroNOV09-1.jpg

Here is a photo of my hair line nine years ago, Christmas day 2000, which is my target for restoration, to get in this neighborhood of density Dr. Pak will need to work some magic for me...wish me luck.

DEC2000.jpg

In a few days Dr. Pak will be restoring my hair line with 1,700 to 1,800 grafts. I started taking Finasteride this week too, and hope it will work well for me at the vertex by filling it back in, as well as helping me to retain my hair as much as possible. I will post again very soon to report my experience with the procedure, post operation, as well as my feelings about NHI and Dr. Pak. The real point of comparision will come in about 10 months, when I will be posting my final results on Labor Day weekend as my beautiful wife and I will be vacationing that week on South Miami Beach.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so you really think I need 2,800 to satisfy my target restoration goal? That would mean another $4K that I simply don't have, unfortunately, but maybe a couple of hunderd more is feasable...an even 2,200 grafts is as far as I can stretch the HT funds. Thank you for your feedback, I will certainly take this into consideration.

Originally posted by dabuski:

i would think 3500 would be more like it.

a lot will depend on your hair characteristics.

all the best with your goals.

Hmmm...you guys got me thinking I need to scrape out the piggy bank. Not real sure how much more I can swing but I'll likely be maximizing now. So I'm guessing 2200 will be my minimum, but I'll try to exceed as much as possible; maybe 2,500. Thanks fellas!

If you can't afford to get the right # of grafts, I'd strongly recco looking into one of the physicians reccomended by this site who charge *far* less, and could hook you up with an appropriate number of grafts for your goals. And likely cost you far less in the process.

Dr. Path, in Thailand; Mohmand, in Pakistan; and Madhu, in India. Also, Dr. Kacinsci (spelling?), in Brazil.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thana is right. NHI is far and away the most expensive clinic recommended on this site. I know there is a discount for Dr. Pak but at least consult with other Coalition docs recommended on this site before diving in.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dr. Pak's Patient,

I haven't seen a tremendous amount of Dr. Pak's work, but I know Dr. Rassman stands behind him. Last I checked, he also charges a much more modest rate, comparable to physicians recommended by this community.

In my opinion, take your time, do your research, and consult with a few physicians who impress you the most. Also, I strongly encourage you to consider getting on Propecia and Rogaine to help prevent further hair loss. It might also help thicken up that crown without the need for surgery.

Thanatopsis_awry,

Are you referring to Coalition member Dr. Tykocinski?

Best wishes,

Bill

Hello-

Judging from what has been presented, I too think you will need 3500-4000 grafts. Others have suggested leaving the country to go 3/4 of the way around the world; I have a different suggestion:

1) You are 45 and the new hairline is permanent. Your 'old' hairline is quite low, and was quite low for a 36 year old as well. Perhaps bringing the hairline up a few millimeters from your youthful hairline is the best idea (i.e. modifiying your expectations.) Each millimeter of hairline might be 100 grafts or so.

2) Continue on the propecia for a year and save extra $$$. Then plan the HT with Dr. Pak next year this time.

Also- I think your pictures are too close for a fair assessment. Just a ballpark guess. The cranium is a spherical structure and it's difficult to judge 3D aspects when the pictures are too close (and from two different angles). Best to have someone help frame some better pictures to see exactly how much real-estate needs to be covered.

I, like lots of the neurotic, self-obsessed, nerdy guys on here have tried to take pictures with an outstretched arm and it's just too hard to do. I have finally broken down and purchased a cheap tripod (and learned how to use the time shutter feature on my camera) to really take some objective pictures to forward to the coalition doctors.

Bill,

Dr. Tykocinski! Thank you for the clarification, I always get his name mixed up in my head until I see it written and it then makes perfect sense.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

PHIL - Your statement of "definitely at least 3000 and most likely 3500-4500" is a little scary...I don't believe this to be accurate; of course I may be wrong.

THAN - Although I appreciate the suggestions to help make this more feasable, I will not be traveling overseas to receive my HT, for many reasons, but thanks nonetheless.

AARON - Your statement of "NHI is far and away the most expensive clinic recommended on this site" does not reflect the findings of my research. I called Dr. Shapiro's office (your doctor) and was quoted $5/graft or $4.5/graft standby rate. Dr. Pak is offering my HT at $4/graft for the first 2,500 and $2.5 for each additional graft. You are right about my diving in, I am moving very quickly, all I can say is that I am very much into doing the procedure now.

Bill - I understand that Dr. Pak has an excellent track record, and has performed on numerous high profile individuals in the entertainment industry, this along with the full endorsement of Dr. Rassman helps to give me a sense of confidence in his abilities. I just purchased the generic Finasteride 5m which cost me $5 per month from Costco (without insurance), I just have to cut the little pill into quarters and take 1/4 pill per day to achieve a +/- 1.25 mg dose. Propecia is the Merck & Co name brand for this drug already in the form of a 1 mg dose (no need to cut the pill), but it costs about $80 per month. I once tried Rogaine but quickly realized topical applications are not good for me, as I can't be in front of the mirror very long and my scalp is sensative; Rogaine is also expensive. I am banking on Finasteride filling in my crown and do not have immediate plans for grafts in that area.

VENTU - I believe your estimate of my needing "3500 - 4000 grafts" is somewhat overkill, however I do find your post helpful. I know I have high expectations, but due to my being a "neurotic, self-obsessed," perfectionist by nature I can't help it, and just can't see myself settling for any less. I pray that I am not left disappointed...we'll have wait to see what Dr. Pak's capabilities and limitations are given the amount of grafts I can afford. BTW my wife took those pics.

SPARKY - I sure hope that your post is right on target my man. This HT is all I'm asking from Santa this year and I've behaved exceptionally good.

Your feedback is much appreciated gentlemen, the more brutally honest the better (I'm thick skulled), please keep it coming!

Pak,

I would hold off on the HT. At least for now.

You mention "praying to not be dissapointed", and that you are at least somewhat "neurotic and self-obsessed", and a "perfectionist".

This is a recipe for disaster in general, and with your level of loss, and graft targets, I feel you are setting yourself up for something that you will deem a failure.

The backdrop of this is that you have restrictive financial goals, and for whatever reason are limiting your geography.

Aaron's advice about not diving in is really spot on. You are keen to "move in on the HT" now, and get it done, but this is really a decision that will have long-lasting effects.

If you get the HT w/ Dr. Pak, all the better, but I would def encourage you to slow down a bit, delay the HT to re-assess, and do some basic protocol like getting a couple more consults in.

EDIT -- Sparky can clarify, but I took it to mean your old hairline is achievable to restore through HTs, but not necessarily through but 1 HT, and not necessarily with only 2k grafts.

-----------

Here's a quick look at one of Jae Pak's most popular patients. If he can't achieve an average result for a huge celebrity, there is no guarantee that he won't do worse on you.

http://blogs.babble.com/famecr...sing-his-hair-again/

jon-gosselin-losing-his-hair1.jpg.f7ee55e76255b006aaf176cf53072b08.jpg

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Originally posted by aaron1234:

Here's a quick look at one of Jae Pak's most popular patients. If he can't achieve an average result for a huge celebrity, there is no guarantee that he won't do worse on you.

http://blogs.babble.com/famecr...sing-his-hair-again/

Aaron I encourage you to read Dr. Rassman's reply to an inquiry on this exact subject prior to drawing such a conclusion (prematurely), please post again after going here http://www.baldingblog.com/200...+Loss+Information%29

Thanks

Just read the blog. Dr. Rassman says his transplants look great but the hair behind looks bad. Well, I don't even think the transplants look that great. I seriously doubt you'll see anyone walking out of H&W with that kind of transplant.

I remember when I was searching this site as a newbie a few years back. I thought anyone who was slightly critical of a docs work was just a hair snob or a shill for another clinic. I thought that every surgeon on this site was about more or less equal. But after my first transplant procedure, I found out that I was wrong. I'm not trying to be overly critical of Dr. Pak, but he hasn't even been screened for recommendation on this site. You really don't want to mess around with this hair transplant thing.. trust me. Just take your time and go through every picture on this site, every webblog. And don't just look but study the pics with a discerning eye. I've been in your position before.

I mean.. just take a look at my 12 month results from my first HT. Would you be happy with this? Hell no. Thankfully, SMG came to the rescue and I am seeing the light at the end of this long dark tunnel. but it's a tunnel I could have avoided.

My Pre-SMG / one year results from first HT pics__

http://www.HairTransplantNetwo...opyID=4052&WebID=813

Originally posted by Dr. Pak's patient:

PHIL - Your statement of "definitely at least 3000 and most likely 3500-4500" is a little scary...I don't believe this to be accurate; of course I may be wrong.

Your feedback is much appreciated gentlemen, the more brutally honest the better (I'm thick skulled), please keep it coming!

I'm basing my estimate on having met no less than 20 HT patients. I'm curious how many you've met and how you came to the conclusion that 1800 grafts would fill in the balding area in the front of your head to the point it will look like the photo you posted of your original hairline.

You want brutally honest right? 1800 grafts in that area will look very very thin. Has Dr. Pak told you that 1800 grafts will recreate your hairline as in the photo?

Than - I'm thinking your post is with the best intentions, and for that I'm grateful, however my perspective differs from yours. I may be moving quickly having only considered three medical practices, but I do have confidence in Dr. Rassman's assurance that Dr. Pak is every bit as good as he is (without the infamy). In HT there are many opinions and no assurances, so I don't believe that folks here can state definitively that Doctors Shapiro, Bernstein, Reed etc are better suited to yield any better results than Dr. Rassman or Dr. Pak. In my opinion we are talking world class hair restoration surgeons here...this would be like saying Lamboghini is surely better than Ferrari, da Vinci's works far in a way superior to Rembrandt and Michael Angelo, and that the music composed by Bach, Vivaldi, and Mozart can't hold a candle to Beethoven's.

You are correct that I have very high standards, Dr.Pak will know this going in and must strive to satisfy those expectation to the very best of his ability. The photo really makes my hair loss apear worse than it is, the lense and flash was about 12" away from my scalp. Honestly I do not believe that a "receipe for disaster" is whats brewing here, and if my HT done correctly, 2,300 to 2,500 grafts can achieve the result of great hairline with packed density for my condition. Not saying that I won't need another procedure again in the future, I do understand that might, but with any luck that will be far off. If Dr. Pak concentrates his artistIC talents, and carefully oversees that the quality of his staff's work is right on that day I SHOULD be satisfied with the results come next August, and I have faith he will do this; otherwise I would not expose myself to this surgery.

In HT there are many opinions and no assurances, so I don't believe that folks here can state definitively that Doctors Shapiro, Bernstein, Reed etc are better suited to yield any better results than Dr. Rassman or Dr. Pak. In my opinion we are talking world class hair restoration surgeons here...this would be like saying Lamboghini is surely better than Ferrari, da Vinci's works far in a way superior to Rembrandt and Michael Angelo, and that the music composed by Bach, Vivaldi, and Mozart can't hold a candle to Beethoven's.

Sigh. This is exactly something I would have said a year and a half ago. All the best. And do keep us posted with updates and photos.

Originally posted by aaron1234:

...not trying to be overly critical of Dr. Pak, but he hasn't even been screened for recommendation on this site. You really don't want to mess around with this hair transplant thing...

I'm sure your correct in that he has yet to be screened here, but not only has he worked directly under Dr. Rassman since 1997 doing nothing but HT, Dr. Rassman has stated that Dr. Pak's talents equal his own, now surely this has to hold significant weight. I have visted the websites of +/- 10 doctor's on this forum so far, some showing some super good work and others not so much. So just because a doctor is endorsed here does not give them an automatic 5 star rating in my book. On the other hand, I do find the 'screening' and standards of those on this site to be exceptional in general. It's truly is an awesome thing to have so many seasoned critics residing in one place...I am impressed with the level of scrutiny found here.

M8, I really do want the best for you, but we are going to have to strongly disagree that this isn't a textbook recipe for you to be left less than thrilled. And as I am sure the many thousands of dollars you are shelling out is important to you, I don't want you to be anything less than satisfied, and I would hate to see you end up extremely disatisfied.

If you want to disregard the "ingredients" of this recipe that I outlined, it's obv your call...but cmon, bro, a day ago you were set on storming in to a HT w/ Dr. Pak for "1700 to 1800" grafts.

Just do a couple more consults with world-class clinics, it is truly basic, basic protocol. What have you got to lose? See what they reccomend, and compare the results they show you that parallel your case with the ones that I hope Dr. Pak showed you.

Do you honestly feel that you are informed about hair transplantation at this moment in time? To not be is OK, it's not like anyone boasts at a bar or dinner party about how expert they are at analyzing grafs, or that you even need some high level of understanding to know what a good or bad HT is. But seriously, m8, do some more research, and consult with at least a couple other top clinics.

You are allowing way too much "hope" to play into your HT equation, and making crucial judgements based off this hope.

Just remember how but a day or two ago you were blazing on in to Dr. Pak's for "1700 to 1800" grafts.

-----------

The problem is Than that DP'sP is "locked and loaded". The transplant is imminent and he apparently is committed financially, logistically, and emotionally. No amount of well-meaning dissuasion from this forum will change the inevitable. So all we can do now is be supportive and wish him the best of luck (luck to Dr. Pak too) to achieve his goal!

Originally posted by phil mascallpen:

I'm basing my estimate on having met no less than 20 HT patients. I'm curious how many you've met and how you came to the conclusion that 1800 grafts would fill in the balding area in the front of your head to the point it will look like the photo you posted of your original hairline.

...1800 grafts in that area will look very very thin. Has Dr. Pak told you that 1800 grafts will recreate your hairline as in the photo?

Phil you are correct that I have not met many HT patients, I'd say 5 at most, but my close friend has hairline work from Dr. Rassman (1997), his hairline was not at all far from where mine is now and that was done quite well with only 1,300, however he and I will both conceed that only having received 1,300 grafts at that time he is now contemplating having a second procedure at NHI.

Dr. Pak did not say to me that 1,800 would achieve the density level I seek and expect, in fact he said the hairline goal will be met but to expect the density goal as my 2000 December pic would be less than what I want. This forum has driven that point home, I am very grateful for that, so I have bumped up my HT to a minimum of 2,200 and a maximum of 2,500 grafts. Should I need a second procedure in the future so be it...my perspective is as long as the first is done by a world class hair restoration surgeon to the best of his ability on a good day I should be pleased.