Early Growth

I recently had an FUT hair transplant of around 900 grafts and had a question regarding early growth. It's been only 23 days, and I've noticed at least 70% of the hair have started to sprout already. I have had two previous transplants, 1 FUT and an FUE, and both followed the regular timeline of a shed at 2-3 weeks, a dormant period of around 4 months, then the growth. On this occasion however, it appears as though the implanted hairs immediately started growing. Started shedding about two weeks in, but immediately started growing stubble in their place. The current state now, is strong 'sprouts', plus initial hairs that have grown, but haven't shed yet. I'm also starting to get the ingrown hair pimples that previously only happened at 3-4 months post op.

This time, the doctor did give me low dose oral minoxidil to replace my topical. Not sure if this is the difference. I am wondering though, if there are cases where this has occurred before with anyone else? 

• Moderators

It's possible for transplanted hair to not fall out and start growing immediately. A lot of people get a small amount of scattered hairs that don't fall out, but it's rare to get a lot of it that doesn't fall out. I've had a small area in one transplant that just grew from the start and never fell, but it was maybe a 200 graft area. I would say it's more likely with a smaller session spread over a large area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.