I've been told I have a very unusual case...and it's making it hard to choose a doctor! Help!

I'm a 34 year-old, white man with dark blond hair. My hair has been thinning since my early twenties. I've been on finasteride for 8 years and oral minoxidil for 2 months.

As you can probably see, my hairline is still very much intact but I'm thinning diffusely throughout. I'm not so worried about losing it all because my father and uncles have all followed the same pattern and still retained a good amount of hair.

My biggest concerns are the two patches in the front and the spot on my crown. I'm not looking for the density of a sixteen year old, just a nice even coverage of my scalp.

I've consulted exclusively with doctors recommended by the forum. I asked for estimates of grafts for the front and back. The only doctor I was able to see in person said 2,000 grafts total. But another said 2,500. And another, 3,000. And another, 4,000. And another, 4,500. They all had different splits for the front and back too.

Suffice to say, I'm totally confused! The doctors I got the best vibes from were those in the middle: 2,500; 3,000; 4,000. I want a good result, but I also don't want to burn through all my donor in the event I need touch ups in the future. Maybe I should start on the lower end and prepare myself for the possibility of a second procedure?

Thank you for your thoughts!

hair long top crop.jpg

hair long right crop.jpeg

hair long left crrop.jpeg

To get it to match the density of he mid scalp,bid say around 2.5k, maybe more.

Ultimately, only an experienced surgeon who sees you in person can truly tell you though.

• Thanks 1

I think its best to just sprinkle few hair fibers &  forget about ht till diffuse loss becomes shiny bald, otherwise you will keep playing catch up as other areas get thinner, will look very unatural.

When I was you age my hair looked just like that. I waited until I was 40 to get a hair transplant. So it was a little more advanced hair loss, especially in the crown, by the time I had my procedure. Look at my picture and thread and hopefully that will be helpful.

HRN3.jpg.2c98fde849f79cdff1e6b327f80d01d1.jpg

• Thanks 1

For the front around 2500-3200, crown depends because you didn't do measurements so I'll say around 1700-2200 grafts.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

Are you on oral finasteride? Have you considered oral dutasteride? I think to get full coverage about 2,800 - 3,000 grafts would work well. You need a pick someone who has lots of experience with your type of hair/balding pattern.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Z-- said:

I think you'll need 4 - 5k grafts. Probably like 2.5 - 3.5k for the front and then 1 - 2k for the crown. Which doctors have you consulted with?

I consulted with Mohebi, Panine, Vories, Turan, Shapiro, Bicer, Nadimi, Wong.

I was honestly just hoping for two to say the same thing!

2 hours ago, toasteroven said:

I consulted with Mohebi, Panine, Vories, Turan, Shapiro, Bicer, Nadimi, Wong.

I was honestly just hoping for two to say the same thing!

Do you want to share what each of them said? Are you also set on FUE?

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 1

I specifically looked up complicated cases as I was one due to subpar techniques used in my first hair transplant. 

My research led me to Dr Shapiro. Out of all the elite surgeons, he's been doing it the most, he is the biggest pioneer of current practices out of all the currently practicing surgeons, and he's still loves to learn from others. 

Check out my post history for an early review