Why is it some HT patients have bad result?

This is an interesting question I thought. I have seen patients going to a proven Dr and saying they followed the post op instructions to a letter. Still the result as not there.Why is this? Just the technician having a bad day or why?

Edited by Mike10

Grafts die

Surgeons/techs are humans too, it’s menial work and some people hairs are complicated ( harder to extract, perhaps fragile ) if the surgeon is having a bad day you know what happens.

Same case with other types of surgeries, even top surgeons mess up. Don’t be at the wrong place at the wrong time 😄

In a way ht is a lottery, best surgens are by no means a gurantee to sucess, which is why surgery should always be last resort. I often see people with good amount of hair, where minimal hair fibers is all they need, but they opt for NW1 perfect hairline & get into unessary risks that come with ht

• Like 2

It’s not that common actually for a transplant to “fail” in our current era. Way more likely back in the day. Assuming you don’t go to a butcher the main cause of unsuccessful results after a HT are usually mostly linked to people not being proper candidates in the first place.

I would say donor management is harder then good density or correct packing, even subpar surgeons can get you good density, but at what cost, did they maul your donor supply or were they smart and conservative.

Probably because certain "doctors" outsource the procedure to untrained technicians.  These people don't care -- they leave the grafts out too long, implant them poorly and in a weirdly angled way, use to much anesthesia, lie about the numbers, botch donor and so on. This is very common practice in like 90% of clinics, sadly.

• Like 1

So much to this.  First, what's considered a poor result? Is it related to the scar? (If FUT). This, most times, can be attributed to the patient not reading the post op instructions, (which happens often). If the patient starts lifting weights immediately after the procedure, it is likely the scar will stretch.  It's important to realize this has a lot more to do with wound physiology than anything else.

If the issue is "too thin of a result," it's because either too few grafts were placed, or the graft number discussed was placed diffusely throughout the entire pattern. In this case, perhaps, the fault lies in both the doctor and the patient.  Was this not discussed during the initial consultation?

The initial consultation with a doctor is invaluable.  It's the time for the doctor to confirm candidacy and give a recommendation.  All sorts of things can happen here.  Say the patient forgets to tell the doctor that he's on blood thinners.  

Add to all of this all what's been happening with techs doing the work.  (Techs practicing medicine), a disaster waiting to happen.  

Lastly, where did the doctor learn to do this type of work? He might be considered to be a pioneer.  If he's been doing this the wrong way during his entire career, he will likely still be doing it the same way.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Mike10,

Honestly, it’s rare that someone who goes to a reputable and proven surgeon will obtain a poor result. It’s possible but not probable. However, when things go wrong, it could be due to one of several circumstances.  In most cases, poor results are due to surgical error but if a reputable surgeon was chosen, it’s more likely that there’s some kind of physiological factor that caused this.  But because this physiological factor is typically unknown, it’s referred to as the “X factor“.

This X-factor is rare and is hard to determine. Most people think that any sign of port growth is always related to surgical error but the rare physiological circumstance or X Factor can occur from time to time even in the hands of a skilled surgeon.  

It is true however that one technician being off their game could impact the result which is why it’s absolutely vital that the surgeon supervise and  oversee all aspects of the procedure, even if they themselves are not personally performing that part of it.  Because this X-factor should be exceptionally rare and if one particular clinic is experiencing poor growth more than on rare occurrence, then there might be a damaged cog in the wheel that needs repair or replacement.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Mike10,

Honestly, it’s rare that someone who goes to a reputable and proven surgeon will obtain a poor result. It’s possible but not probable. However, when things go wrong, it could be due to one of several circumstances.  In most cases, poor results are due to surgical error but if a reputable surgeon was chosen, it’s more likely that there’s some kind of physiological factor that caused this.  But because this physiological factor is typically unknown, it’s referred to as the “X factor“.

This X-factor is rare and is hard to determine. Most people think that any sign of port growth is always related to surgical error but the rare physiological circumstance or X Factor can occur from time to time even in the hands of a skilled surgeon.  

It is true however that one technician being off their game could impact the result which is why it’s absolutely vital that the surgeon supervise and  oversee all aspects of the procedure, even if they themselves are not personally performing that part of it.  Because this X-factor should be exceptionally rare and if one particular clinic is experiencing poor growth more than on rare occurrence, then there might be a damaged cog in the wheel that needs repair or replacement.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

I noticed on your signature, Certified physician.  Who gives this certification?  This is not a regulated industry.  

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

2 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

I noticed on your signature, Certified physician.  Who gives this certification?  This is not a regulated industry.  

Err, certified physician means he has a medical license I would think

13 minutes ago, Westview said:

Err, certified physician means he has a medical license I would think

If so, certified in what? You would assume it would be in hair restoration since it is this subject we're dealing with.  This does bring up a point.  Many times, you'll notice, "Triple board certified," etc. Do a bit of digging and you'll find it is in something else other than hair restoration.  I know of one. He is a physical therapist.  Why would anyone want a physical therapist to do their hair?