what is the minimum dose of oral minoxidil necessary?

demezz2

Something like 5mg perhaps or 10mg

You have to understand that topical delivery form delivers a lot more drug than oral route can. Although it’s diluted, there’s less area to cover and more focused application.

Oral will circulate in your body and not necessarily concentrate in your scalp. It also depends on drug PK properties where majority of it ends up, I don’t know about minoxidil pk.

No one should be on 10 mg oral minoxidil for hair purposes.  That dosage is for people with high blood pressure.  And 5mg is really pushing it too.  Anywhere from .625 mg to 2.5 can be effective.  If not very effective.  And far less likely to cause side effects than the way-too-high dosages listed in the above post.

Edited by John1991
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John1991 said:

No one should be on 10 mg oral minoxidil for hair purposes.  That dosage is for people with high blood pressure.  And 5mg is really pushing it too.  Anywhere from .625 mg to 2.5 can be effective.  If not very effective.  And far less likely to cause side effects than the way-too-high dosages listed in the above post.

ill start at .625mg and assuming i have no side effects, i’ll go to 1.25mg, after being on that for awhile and if it seems safe, ill consider upping the dose, thanks!

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

2.5mg under the supervision of a good dermatologist. From what I have read I wouldn't be going over 5mg. All the best!

yea thats what ive read aswell, even though its still rare, and people have used this medication for awhile at much larger doses, its better to not risk it long term

also, i have slightly high blood pressure (stage 1) so maybe this would be good anyways, at a low dose it might be controlled along with increase in hair growth

Edited by demezz2

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2022 at 12:09 AM, Calihome1 said:

What are the sides?  I’m seeing blood pressure.  Anything else?

Excess body hair and sometimes chest pain, fast heartbeat, weight gain, insomnia, swelling and several others.  Rarely it can cause swelling around the heart (like 3% of users).

There’s no universal answer because different people respond differently to different doses, due to a variety of other factors aside from just the individuals mechanical response, such as extent and rate of hairloss, history of medication, current adjacent medications etc.   

A few Dr’s have speculated there may be a correlation between body weight and the effective dose. 

From what I have seen over the last 2 years online, and from my own experience - 5mg daily for men, is the general consensus for optimum results. 

Edited by Curious25