Best scar diminishing cream

I know Neosporin is conventionally recommended to induce faster healing/prevent excessive scab build-up in wounds, but I've also used it successfully to help fade older scars in the past.

I cut myself pretty badly across the face back in high school, which resulted in the formation of a deep crimson mark. I had further aggravated the area by foolishly picking at the scab before it finally closed up, so I assumed it was too late to begin using any kind of ointment. However, I was later advised by a local dermatologist to start applying Neosporin daily, even though it seemed kind of futile at the time since the scrape had already technically "healed". By that point, the purpose wasn't to "treat" the wound; I was simply trying to reduce the redness.

After several months of regular use, the area was virtually indistinguishable from the rest of my skin. I've used it on my donor scar with success, too. Can't guarantee it will do anything for a scar with abnormal texture, but if you're looking to diminish some discoloration, it might be worth a shot. Mederma is another pretty popular choice.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Can't guarantee it will do anything for a scar with abnormal texture, but if you're looking to diminish some discoloration, it might be worth a shot.

So you're saying that Neosporin, can reduce the red discoloration, but not reduce the amount of scar tissue from fibrosis, right?

I.e., your stretched scar will remain stretched?

take care...

Has anybody ever used Mederma? I read many comments on another forum about how great it worked by many people, but after going through a whole tube, I don't really see a difference. I think the only effective way is through lasers.

Originally posted by mmhce:

So you're saying that Neosporin, can reduce the red discoloration, but not reduce the amount of scar tissue from fibrosis, right?

I.e., your stretched scar will remain stretched?

Right. I think it mainly accelerated the fading process in my case, which dramatically improved the cosmetic appearance of the scar.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Be careful of who you go to if you choose laser!

I had some veins on my nose I wanted removed so I went to a dermeatologist who did laser on my nose & left me with deep scars!

Mederma did not work for me to get rid of the scars.

I am NOT a fan of neosporin at all. In fact I tell my patients not to get near it after I do anything to them....facelift/hair/mole; or my kids when they get abraided. Lots of folks have allergies to it. It is hard to beat vaseline for wound care.

For later scar treatment, I like vitamin E oil and mederma; and if one has a history of really bad scars, kelocote is pretty good. But nothing beats gentle massage and followup at the office at the first sign of trouble.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 year later...
Guest jamesdweaver

I would say that redness at the 5 week mark is quite normal. Continue with the course of Aloe Vera until at least week 6-8

seddona,

How long your scar remains pink depends on your physiology. Some find that it fades very quickly. For me, it remained pink to several months.

As long as it's adequately disguised by your existing hair then try to forget about it for now. I'm sure it will fade in time.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website