What can I conclude from my father hair loss?

I am 33 year old, on my way to NW6. My father is NW6, 65 years old.

but today I saw a picture of him when he was 40 years old (seven years older than me) and his hair was MUCH better than I have today. When he was 33 y/o, like I am, he had fully hair.

Seems pretty random. My dad was nw5 by 35. I'm nw2 at 36 with some thinning in the temples.

I'm way ahead of him  and I'm actually ahead of my maternal grandfather at the same age, although he never had vertex or crown loss

Used to think it was a good sign but not so sure 

But my dad and maternal grandad both had mainly frontal loss first. So it follows that mine is at the front, rather than the crown.

Edited by jr1986

Gatsby----it could have been from Mom's side, too.  Scientists really don't know. They talk about the concentration of one sex hormone (dihydrotestosterone) increases in the tissue on their heads. That hormone leads hairs to become thinner and even stop growing out of the follicles altogether, which might be the key mechanism at work with genetic hair loss. But scientists still aren't quite sure how it works.  Environmental factors may play a part---smoking and drinking. Genetics on both sides have been mentioned as well.  A study on more than 600 German men in 2008, found that a location on Chromosome 20 had a "strong effect" on early onset male pattern baldness. That's a clue that both a mother's and a father's DNA are involved in baldness genes. It's a crap shoot---literally.

• Moderators
On 9/3/2022 at 2:32 PM, Harry2 said:

I am 33 year old, on my way to NW6. My father is NW6, 65 years old.

but today I saw a picture of him when he was 40 years old (seven years older than me) and his hair was MUCH better than I have today. When he was 33 y/o, like I am, he had fully hair.

You can conclude that you have seen proof that men over 40 who still have a lot of hair can end up as NW 6. A lot of people don't seem to believe that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Impossible to say. My father had near perfect hair for a long time -- he only started losing in his 70s. One grandparent is slick Norwood 6 since his 30s. Guess which one I took after...😢

5 hours ago, BeHappy said:

You can conclude that you have seen proof that men over 40 who still have a lot of hair can end up as NW 6. A lot of people don't seem to believe that.

Hair loss is a progressive disease and tends to really pick up in the higher age (in your 60s and especially 70s). To have a chance to be something like a solid NW3 at the end, you would need to have a really good head at 40.  

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Z-- said:

Impossible to say. My father had near perfect hair for a long time -- he only started losing in his 70s. One grandparent is slick Norwood 6 since his 30s. Guess which one I took after...😢

Yep. Same situation here. My dad had a full head of hair into his 70s and even now in his 90s he still has more hair than I had at 20. I have the same hair loss pattern as my uncle, which is NW 7 before 30.

• Sad 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.