Keto 1% vs 2%

Is there a bigger benefit of using the Keto 2% vs 1% shampoo 1-2x a week for additional scalp DHT suppression. I have both: one OTC (Nizoral) and a 2% formulation from my dermatologist. Is it worth it to stick with the stronger formulation? This is strictly from the DHT suppression value of the med on the scalp. Don't notice any side effects from either formulation. I also cycle Zinc (H&S) and Piroctone Olamine for their scalp properties as well. 

2% is twice as strong and even that is pretty limited in its ability to suppress DHT.  I'd definitely recommend 2% 2-3x a week if your scalp can handle it without becoming too dry.  Regenepure DR has 1% in it, but it's less drying/harsh so you can use that one other days.  Maybe throw baby shampoo into the mix 2x a week too just to really give your hair a few days where its not getting anything remotely harsh on it too.

Edited by John1991

• Administrators

The studies have been with 2% so if you can get it, it’s much better. But 1% still works. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 8:43 PM, Calihome1 said:

Does  it really do anything?  From what I’m reading, Outside off Fin/Dut and Minox there isn’t Much benefit to these.

There’s some studies showing it works. It’s not groundbreaking in terms of results like finasteride and minoxidil but it still has some effects. There’s actually one study showing 2% ketoconazole was as effective as 2% minoxidil in stimulating growth. Imo it’s an easy addition as you need to shampoo anyway. If you don’t experience any sides effects, it’s probably worth a shot to use it alongside fin/min

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

There’s some studies showing it works. It’s not groundbreaking in terms of results like finasteride and minoxidil but it still has some effects. There’s actually one study showing 2% ketoconazole was as effective as 2% minoxidil in stimulating growth. Imo it’s an easy addition as you need to shampoo anyway. If you don’t experience any sides effects, it’s probably worth a shot to use it alongside fin/min

Do you need an RX?

• 4 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 1:15 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

The studies have been with 2% so if you can get it, it’s much better. But 1% still works. 

I'm not completely clued in on Keto. It says that it attacks the fungi that leads to dandruff. 

But it also helps with hair growth? 

And if it works, then how soon after a HT would you use it?

Edited by Xanadu

I have been using for years; it reduces inflammation, especially if you have dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. The 2% is the way to go. After shampooing, my hair looks and feels thicker. But use sparingly as it can dry out scalp. You do need a script in US for 2%. Don't use if you have kidney issues. I am a fan if used sparingly. Will make your hair look great like Gatsby's. PS Gatsby, when is Eugenix going to pay for you to make a US sales tour? Come visit.

Edited by Mountinvan