Asian Male, 20y, looking for hair transplant surgeon/clinic recommendations

Hi, I'm attaching pictures of what my hair used to look like, which is ultimately my ideal goal. I want to grow my transplanted hair out to cover my forehead instead of slicking it back like 99% of the patients do. I started experiencing hair loss from when I was 17-18 years old. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bc3d90525ce348e127cd01aee64d0fc3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.110c1663767b3ee1eb3b662f114e35ab.jpeg

One of the biggest and most frustrating difficulties is finding a clinic with proper documentation of asian male patients. Everything I've come across Youtube, Google, and Reddit have felt iffy or inconsistent. I don't want to be pressured into a turkey mill, I'm willing to pay proper money for someone who can restore my naturally m-shaped hairline. Does anyone know a surgeon or clinic that has experience with asian male patients and is publicly sharing conclusive results? Thanks

This is how I look now:

289963120_IMG-7189copy.thumb.jpg.f8300d1a499fb6754f53a796288c80bf.jpg1569821737_IMG-7182copy.thumb.jpg.82983f775cfde15af5346c48f9b216b3.jpgIMG-7181.thumb.JPG.da21178e3a1e8d40d6e1699492a328db.JPG1813744618_IMG-7178copy.thumb.jpg.af99792af57fea23af6d6fd0071c06e3.jpg1703401861_IMG-7193copy.thumb.jpg.84aa98bdddcdca75fa5b2b625d59ffa9.jpg

Edited by AsianBoyHairLoss

There aren't many good doctor that would operate on you because of your age.

Have you tried meds to prevent further loss? Most doc wants you to be on meds as well.

Asians are rarer on their work spectrum, but what i saw from thai recommended docs here, most of their clientele is australian and asian, so you might want to take a look at them. Dr path, dr laorwong, for example.

There is a good doc in SG but i can't recall his name. His pricing is pretty expensive though.

Thanks for your input. I still want to get this procedure done now considering how much I’ve already lost in just a few years. My hair loss has also slowed down recently. I’m preferably looking for clinics within or near the USA. I don’t think I’ll get an opportunity to visit asia for a while. Thanks

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

How long have you been taking minoxidil and finasteride for @AsianBoyHairLoss?

Hi, I have not started either. I don't wish to take hair loss medication for 3 reasons:

1. Potential Side Effects 

2. Temporary Effects 

3. My body getting used to the medicine and relying on it

I have consulted Hasson and Wong, they are asking me to take finasteride for at least 6 months just to be CONSIDERED for surgery. Why is this? 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Hi, I have not started either. I don't wish to take hair loss medication for 3 reasons:

1. Potential Side Effects 

2. Temporary Effects 

3. My body getting used to the medicine and relying on it

I have consulted Hasson and Wong, they are asking me to take finasteride for at least 6 months just to be CONSIDERED for surgery. Why is this? 

Thanks

You need to stabilize your hair loss to be any form of a candidate. Just because you have receded a tiny bit or lost a bit in your crown doesn't mean that's it not going to get worse.

Hair loss is progressive, you need to stabilize and monitor your situation for around 6 months to a year. If you get regrowth on meds, or no hair loss has been visibly noticeable for 6 months to a year (would recommend a year) than you can consider getting a hair transplant. 

Also your third point. People that get surgery are on Finasteride/Minoxidil for the rest of their life to maintain their hair. Its a life long war/battle. Don't treat Hair Transplants as one and done because you will probably need to do it again if you thin out across 10-20 years. Hair transplants are a temporary solution, they will get your hair back but not address progressive hair loss and balding. That's what medication is for. Hair transplants to win the battle, Medication to win the war.

Dr Hasson is a top choice of Surgeon, I would recommend listening to his advice as he is one of the only people I would let touch my head (I'm getting a HT with him at the end of the year)

Edited by mister_25
  • Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Most if not all ethical Drs/Clinics won’t operate at people under the age of 25, and especially ones that are not on any med regime. What’s more than likely is you will continue to lose hair, especially as you have started to already at such a young age. For most of us a clear pattern of balding won’t really be fully apparent until around 25. The last thing a Dr wants is to not plan properly, not just for now, but the future too. They will want to be considering a hairline appropriate for you now, but again for the future too. And from a finite area of grafts they need to ensure their is going to be enough for the inevitable multiple procedures. Using meds will help strengthen and maintain your existing hair. Without it (you’re choice) you will continue to lose and be chasing the loss through multiple procedures until the donor area runs out. 

4 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

You need to stabilize your hair loss to be any form of a candidate. Just because you have receded a tiny bit or lost a bit in your crown doesn't mean that's it not going to get worse.

Hair loss is progressive, you need to stabilize and monitor your situation for around 6 months to a year. If you get regrowth on meds, or no hair loss has been visibly noticeable for 6 months to a year (would recommend a year) than you can consider getting a hair transplant. 

Also your third point. People that get surgery are on Finasteride/Minoxidil for the rest of their life to maintain their hair. Its a life long war/battle. Don't treat Hair Transplants as one and done because you will probably need to do it again if you thin out across 10-20 years. Hair transplants are a temporary solution, they will get your hair back but not address progressive hair loss and balding. That's what medication is for. Hair transplants to win the battle, Medication to win the war.

Dr Hasson is a top choice of Surgeon, I would recommend listening to his advice as he is one of the only people I would let touch my head (I'm getting a HT with him at the end of the year)

Why is this knowledge not common enough? I'm sure there are cases where people are not or are no longer taking meds after their procedure. It just doesn't sit right with me that I have to rely on medication for temporary results.

I have seen cases where people with full heads of hair after a procedure who claim to be on no medication.

Also, my hair loss has slowed to the point where there has not been any further recession for about a year. I have monitored the state of my hairline for a year without medication and can confidently claim that there hasn't been dramatic recession like the previous 2 years. I am also looking at my father (who is also receding, though still has hair in his crown area) for reference. I am sure I won't experience any notable recession for some time. Also, couldn't I just take meds in the future if I do see the hair loss progress after the transplant? 

12 minutes ago, Britalien said:

Most if not all ethical Drs/Clinics won’t operate at people under the age of 25, and especially ones that are not on any med regime. What’s more than likely is you will continue to lose hair, especially as you have started to already at such a young age. For most of us a clear pattern of balding won’t really be fully apparent until around 25. The last thing a Dr wants is to not plan properly, not just for now, but the future too. They will want to be considering a hairline appropriate for you now, but again for the future too. And from a finite area of grafts they need to ensure their is going to be enough for the inevitable multiple procedures. Using meds will help strengthen and maintain your existing hair. Without it (you’re choice) you will continue to lose and be chasing the loss through multiple procedures until the donor area runs out. 

As of now, the only issue is my hairline. If it continues to recede into my crown, couldn't I address that with meds and/or another transplant? I'm 100% certain that there HAS to be individuals who have had hair transplants without having to combine it with meds to maintain their hair. Unless this is all too good to be true?

1 minute ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

As of now, the only issue is my hairline. If it continues to recede into my crown, couldn't I address that with meds and/or another transplant? I'm 100% certain that there HAS to be individuals who have had hair transplants without having to combine it with meds to maintain their hair. Unless this is all too good to be true?

Anybody showing a predisposition to lose so young, will continue to do so, those are the facts. At what rate it’s Impossible to say, just that it’s much more likely. 
This is why it’s better to wait until around the age of 25, If you do happen to retain what you have now, then great, if not the Dr/Clinic will plan accordingly. 
It’s not a absolute must for anyone to go on Fin/Dut, just that happens to be the only proven thing which works, to either enhance or maintain you’re existing hair.

The Dr will want to know they are doing the best for you, when they make recommendations it’s with good reason. Get some consultations done and you should see some similar advice given, or they may just ask you wait for a few years. Dr Diep & Dr Konior have also shown a lot of Asian hair results, maybe consult with them. Im older but started my procedures later, and don’t take Fin, Im on ht 5 and still need another. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Britalien said:

Anybody showing a predisposition to lose so young, will continue to do so, those are the facts. At what rate it’s Impossible to say, just that it’s much more likely. 
This is why it’s better to wait until around the age of 25, If you do happen to retain what you have now, then great, if not the Dr/Clinic will plan accordingly. 
It’s not a absolute must for anyone to go on Fin/Dut, just that happens to be the only proven thing which works, to either enhance or maintain you’re existing hair.

The Dr will want to know they are doing the best for you, when they make recommendations it’s with good reason. Get some consultations done and you should see some similar advice given, or they may just ask you wait for a few years. Dr Diep & Dr Konior have also shown a lot of Asian hair results, maybe consult with them. Im older but started my procedures later, and don’t take Fin, Im on ht 5 and still need another. 

Thank you for your input. I will consult with some more doctors. You have had 5 HT? How has each procedure been?

Just now, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Why is this knowledge not common enough? I'm sure there are cases where people are not or are no longer taking meds after their procedure.

You have alot of hair already. If you do not take DHT prevention medication you will probably have to go through a similar journey as Melvin. A Norwood 6 with nothing exhausting every possible resource he can to get hair on top, including hair that is prone to thinning later.

There are other lesser known forms of balding such as Retrograde Alopecia and DUPA. Retrograde is where you thin at the bottom of the nape and above the ears. This compromises your Donor. DUPA is significantly worse where you cant guarantee ANY hair on your head will go or not. INCLUDING your donor. Finasteride and other DHT prevention medication is the only way to combat this possibility. Not only does it strengthen/prevent hair loss on top of your head. But also affects your donor if you take it Orally or apply it topically to that region. This could strengthen donor areas that were prone to thinning to be transplanted. Increasing your overall donor.

4 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Why is this knowledge not common enough?

I went pretty much bald at 20 and a Norwood 5 and I didn't even know hair loss medication existed. Its a taboo topic for men to open up about personal struggles and feelings in society. 

5 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

I have seen cases where people with full heads of hair after a procedure who claim to be on no medication.

Every person reacts to DHT differently. Generally speaking, the younger you are the more DHT you produce and the older you are the more DHT Sensitive you are. Some people get lucky where the sensitivity as they get older isn't affected because the lack of DHT levels they are on. Some peoples hair are only prone to Norwood 3 with Super thick remaining hair. You cant guarantee anything, even looking at family history is no promise but a decent indication of "FINAL PATTERN" not rate of balding

7 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

I'm sure there are cases where people are not or are no longer taking meds after their procedure.

These cases are mostly people that have their frontal third transplanted. Then quit meds, then bald everywhere behind it. Giving them a Island of hair in the front and bald everywhere else. Tory Lanez is a celebrity example

8 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

It just doesn't sit right with me that I have to rely on medication for temporary results.

You got this the other way around. Hair transplants are a temporary solution. Medication could make them a permanent solution. This is why you test your reaction to Finasteride/DHT Blockers before you get a hair transplant. You stabilize then hair transplants can become more "permanent"

9 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Also, my hair loss has slowed to the point where there has not been any further recession for about a year. I have monitored the state of my hairline for a year without medication and can confidently claim that there hasn't been dramatic recession like the previous 2 years.

Still can't guarantee, your not doing anything to actually inhibit hair loss. Remember as I stated earlier. Younger you are the more DHT you produce, older you are the more DHT Sensitive you are.  Its a gamble that you are talking about right now

11 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

I am also looking at my father (who is also receding, though still has hair in his crown area) for reference.

People overrate family balding as a good indicator so I'll tell you my story

Father. Norwood 5 Diffused at 50. Norwood 2.5 at 40.

Paternal Grandfather  Norwood 5 slick bald or Norwood 6

Maternal Grandfather Norwood 4 or Norwood 3A. in his 50s before passing.

Maternal Uncle Norwood 3 60s

Maternal Cousin - Alopecia Areata (I am not blood related to the side of the family that was prone to this)

Paternal Cousin - Norwood 1 50s

Paternal Cousin - Norwood 3 45?

Myself - Norwood 5 20 years old

As you can clearly see from myself example the general idea of final pattern is evident in family members. But not the rate of balding.

14 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Also, couldn't I just take meds in the future if I do see the hair loss progress after the transplant? 

You aren't guaranteed to get your hair back from medication, so lets say with medication you stabilize but don't get regrowth. You will need to get another transplant to fix what you lost. Nothing is a guarantee, and most good doctors have ethical reputations. They will only accept if you are on medication because they want what's best for you. And ethical doctors are more trustworthy and trustworthy doctors have better reputations and better reputations are better business.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Thank you for your input. I will consult with some more doctors. You have had 5 HT? How has each procedure been?

Always good to get the thoughts from a range of Drs/Clinics, apart from the ones I have mentioned above I think some of the most ethical and give no nonsense advice are Dr Bisanga, Dr Mwamba, @DrTBarghouthi& Eugenix, these are not in the US but they will give you some good feedback. 

Edited by Britalien
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

You have alot of hair already. If you do not take DHT prevention medication you will probably have to go through a similar journey as Melvin. A Norwood 6 with nothing exhausting every possible resource he can to get hair on top, including hair that is prone to thinning later.

There are other lesser known forms of balding such as Retrograde Alopecia and DUPA. Retrograde is where you thin at the bottom of the nape and above the ears. This compromises your Donor. DUPA is significantly worse where you cant guarantee ANY hair on your head will go or not. INCLUDING your donor. Finasteride and other DHT prevention medication is the only way to combat this possibility. Not only does it strengthen/prevent hair loss on top of your head. But also affects your donor if you take it Orally or apply it topically to that region. This could strengthen donor areas that were prone to thinning to be transplanted. Increasing your overall donor.

I went pretty much bald at 20 and a Norwood 5 and I didn't even know hair loss medication existed. Its a taboo topic for men to open up about personal struggles and feelings in society. 

Every person reacts to DHT differently. Generally speaking, the younger you are the more DHT you produce and the older you are the more DHT Sensitive you are. Some people get lucky where the sensitivity as they get older isn't affected because the lack of DHT levels they are on. Some peoples hair are only prone to Norwood 3 with Super thick remaining hair. You cant guarantee anything, even looking at family history is no promise but a decent indication of "FINAL PATTERN" not rate of balding

These cases are mostly people that have their frontal third transplanted. Then quit meds, then bald everywhere behind it. Giving them a Island of hair in the front and bald everywhere else. Tory Lanez is a celebrity example

You got this the other way around. Hair transplants are a temporary solution. Medication could make them a permanent solution. This is why you test your reaction to Finasteride/DHT Blockers before you get a hair transplant. You stabilize then hair transplants can become more "permanent"

Still can't guarantee, your not doing anything to actually inhibit hair loss. Remember as I stated earlier. Younger you are the more DHT you produce, older you are the more DHT Sensitive you are.  Its a gamble that you are talking about right now

People overrate family balding as a good indicator so I'll tell you my story

Father. Norwood 5 Diffused at 50. Norwood 2.5 at 40.

Paternal Grandfather  Norwood 5 slick bald or Norwood 6

Maternal Grandfather Norwood 4 or Norwood 3A. in his 50s before passing.

Maternal Uncle Norwood 3 60s

Maternal Cousin - Alopecia Areata (I am not blood related to the side of the family that was prone to this)

Paternal Cousin - Norwood 1 50s

Paternal Cousin - Norwood 3 45?

Myself - Norwood 5 20 years old

As you can clearly see from myself example the general idea of final pattern is evident in family members. But not the rate of balding.

You aren't guaranteed to get your hair back from medication, so lets say with medication you stabilize but don't get regrowth. You will need to get another transplant to fix what you lost. Nothing is a guarantee, and most good doctors have ethical reputations. They will only accept if you are on medication because they want what's best for you. And ethical doctors are more trustworthy and trustworthy doctors have better reputations and better reputations are better business.

Thanks for breaking it down and explaining each point. I really don't want to step into medication, so I will continue to look for other surgeon's/clinic's opinions. There is a Turkish clinic-- Long Hair Center who claims that their doctor is with me throughout most of/the entire procedure, and they've shown me adequate asian patient's results. Their rep hasn't mentioned anything about meds or my age. Yet despite all that, their reputation is pretty good and there are plenty of youtube videos documenting their practice and results. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks again

51 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Thanks for breaking it down and explaining each point. I really don't want to step into medication, so I will continue to look for other surgeon's/clinic's opinions. There is a Turkish clinic-- Long Hair Center who claims that their doctor is with me throughout most of/the entire procedure, and they've shown me adequate asian patient's results. Their rep hasn't mentioned anything about meds or my age. Yet despite all that, their reputation is pretty good and there are plenty of youtube videos documenting their practice and results. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks again

Long Hair Center is a hair mill. There is a high chance they will destroy you for life. Use this forums recommended list. They are screened for good results constantly, and pay a fee to maintain. They must continue to post good results and have good patient testimonials to maintain on this forum recommended list (although there are a few that in my opinion have fallen out of favor)

What I mean by "destroy you for life" is they botch you hard. You will come out with poor growth on the recipient site. You will have a overharvested "moth eaten" donor looking like you are sick with a deadly illness and you will be unable to shave your hair off as you will be reminded with HT scars. The only option you have is hope to god you can be redeemed with SMP on recipient and donor or get a hair system and grow your hair out long.

If you aren't aware. A good and skilled ethical doctor can manage two patients at a given time, they can have techs with large amount of experience and skill undergo some steps like FUE Harvesting. This is a skill that must be refined and practiced and maintained which can be delegated to techs. However Incisions SHOULD be done by a doctor. This determines the density and hair angles. Techs can also be delegated to implanting the hairs into the incisions. H&W as you consulted with has the Doctor do the planning, techs do the harvesting/implantations and the doctor does the incisions.

Long Hair Center, as a Hair Mill. Operate on around 10-30 patients a day, have techs performing the whole procedure, draw the same overused "Drake Hairline". How can a doctor manage that many patients? Is he a X-Men? No. Also it is known for Turkish Clinics to steal other clinics work and photos, so there is no guarantee that the results that you saw were actually performed by them? If there was any indications like different backgrounds and such then that is a dead giveaway.

Remember this, many turkey clinics are not masters of hair transplantations, they are masters of marketing and will sell you lies and everything to get a sale. Many of them provide the most BS "Lifetime Guarantee" paper that is more worthless than a tissue to blow your nose. Only options in Turkey worth looking at are Bicer, Gur and Turan at FUECAPILAR and even they are not as good as the best found in Portugal/Spain/Canada/US/Belgium

Edited by mister_25
Clarity and explaining what I mean by "Destroy you for life"
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

Turkish clinic-- Long Hair Center

Absolutely not, they just want your cash ! They won’t care about your age or meds as thats not important to them. Don’t make the mistake of going to either a poor clinic/hair mill or anybody who’s just willing to do a procedure with no thoughts for your well-being ! And if you go looking here on the forum I’m sure you will see what I mean, wether it’s that clinic or the 100s of others that are not interested in your scalp only your pockets ! 

1 minute ago, mister_25 said:

Long Hair Center is a hair mill. There is a high chance they will destroy you for life. Use this forums recommended list. They are screened for good results constantly, and pay a fee to maintain. They must continue to post good results and have good patient testimonials to maintain on this forum recommended list (although there are a few that in my opinion have fallen out of favor)

If you aren't aware. A good and skilled ethical doctor can manage two patients at a given time, they can have techs with large amount of experience and skill undergo some steps like FUE Harvesting. This is a skill that must be refined and practiced and maintained which can be delegated to techs. However Incisions SHOULD be done by a doctor. This determines the density and hair angles. Techs can also be delegated to implanting the hairs into the incisions. H&W as you consulted with has the Doctor do the planning, techs do the harvesting/implantations and the doctor does the incisions.

Long Hair Center, as a Hair Mill. Operate on around 10-30 patients a day, have techs performing the whole procedure, draw the same overused "Drake Hairline". How can a doctor manage that many patients? Is he a X-Men? No. Also it is known for Turkish Clinics to steal other clinics work and photos, so there is no guarantee that the results that you saw were actually performed by them? If there was any indications like different backgrounds and such then that is a dead giveaway.

Remember this, many turkey clinics are not masters of hair transplantations, they are masters of marketing and will sell you lies and everything to get a sale. Many of them provide the most BS "Lifetime Guarantee" paper that is more worthless than a tissue to blow your nose. Only options in Turkey worth looking at are Bicer, Gur and Turan at FUECAPILAR and even they are not as good as the best found in Portugal/Spain/Canada/US/Belgium

You was probably looking and getting angry at the same time I was, can’t stand these “clinics” that damage young guys for the sake of $ 

37 minutes ago, Britalien said:

You was probably looking and getting angry at the same time I was, can’t stand these “clinics” that damage young guys for the sake of $ 

I nearly fell into one of their traps when I started. In a parallel universe there is a 21 year old version of me with only 7 months of finasteride getting a hair transplant at Hair of Istanbul. r/HairTransplants is just free hair-mill promotion and I would advise people only look at it to see what type of results are possible, not any clinic recommendations or advice.

There is a reason the best results are from the top elite doctors and the worst results are from Turkish hair mills.

1 hour ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

I'm 100% certain that there HAS to be individuals who have had hair transplants without having to combine it with meds to maintain their hair.

There are, but its all a gamble. Getting a HT is a gamble, there are so many factors considering its a surgery. So lets count the obstacles

• Stabilization of Hair loss. Even if you have presumably "Stabilized" without medication, you still are not doing anything to actively inhibit balding. Therefore you are gambling with your hair.
  • Age, most doctors will only perform surgery on the minimum age of 25. My personal belief is that if you have super heavy hairloss where your final balding pattern is evident, then they know what to plan with. Most peoples "final pattern" hasn't been outlined by this age. So they can't reasonably make a "master plan" to get you the most hair for your entire life.
  • Surgeon/Clinic Selection, you can pick a top elite surgeon with years of experience and skill to back it up. Who will properly do the surgery with correct and adequate density, high graft survival rate, singles in the hairline, correct hair angles, avoid cobblestoning and avoid implantations in rows. Or you can pick a less quality surgeon/clinic and they might fall into the bad side of those factors. Pick one without a doctor and you can get some horrible outcomes like Scalp Necrosis and there even worse outcomes.
  • Proper Analyzation of your Donor. Do you have Retrograde/DUPA or not? How strong is your donor. For me I have retrograde but the areas not affected are incredibly dense. Under microscope it was determined I had alot of triples and comparing my donor hair to my family without hairloss, mine even with retrograde is denser.
  • Healing factor, do you scar well? Are they obvious? You could scar horribly bad with FUT and get a Keloid Scar. With FUE if you scar poorly the FUE scars will become more noticeable. Rolandes on this forum is a well known example of a good result but unlucky with his FUE Scarring.
  • Scalp Conditions, do you have any underlying scalp conditions that could inhibit a transplant? If not, probably go get tested. 
  • Shock Loss. Rarely it is permanent and more common in the patients with diffuse thinning. Do you have diffuse thinning or not? another obstacle you will have to account for
  • X Factor, in the end you can do everything right. But your body will just not respond with adequate survival rate. Its super rare, like 1-2%? and most of the time the results are subpar, but not awful or bad. Like a 5/10. But there was one result on this forum of from what I've gathered a patient did everything right and still got poor growth. It's all a gamble. The likelihood of the X Factor giving you a poor/bad result is bad. More likely something subpar or average when everything should go right.

There are probably many more obstacles in the way that I neglected. But those are the major ones. HT is a huge leap, thats why people reccomend medication. From what I've gathered. 99.9% of people that get side effects on medication, lose their side effects when they drop the medication. Therefore its something you try, and if it works you can continue it.

I understand your against the idea of taking medication, but you got to understand that its a contract with nature just like hair transplants.

The contract with medication is. Here is Finasteride, this is a treatment that could stop/slow baldness. If your lucky you can get regrowth, however there is a chance for you to develop sexual side effects and others. Stop taking the medication, no side effects, no benefits either.

The contract with hair transplantation is. This is a hair transplant, for me to move hair from the sides/back of your head to the top of your head. I will give you scars, not every hair is guaranteed to survive this transition and only the best hands with great finesse can move it so delicately and accurately to mimic natural hair density/hair angles in nature. While I am solving the issue temporarily by covering up the balding zone, I make no promises on preventing additional balding from happening. That includes the hair that was transplanted.

This is why medication goes with hair transplants. The benefit of medication directly counteracts the primary negative factor of hair transplants. With medication, your temporary hair situation that was granted with hair transplants may become permanent.

If you cant bring yourself to breach the hurdle of starting medication, then your eliminating one of the major factors that make you a candidate for hair transplantation.

Edited by mister_25
Clarity and responding to a quote I missed.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

I nearly fell into one of their traps when I started. In a parallel universe there is a 21 year old version of me with only 7 months of finasteride getting a hair transplant at Hair of Istanbul. r/HairTransplants is just free hair-mill promotion and I would advise people only look at it to see what type of results are possible, not any clinic recommendations or advice.

There is a reason the best results are from the top elite doctors and the worst results are from Turkish hair mills.

I have spent 10+ years now steering people away from hair mills, I would say it’s actually got worse now than it’s ever been. Mostly thanks to flashy marketing, fake/stolen/doctored pics, Bs online reviews, cherry picked results… 

The reason I have stayed on the forum so long is we call out the crap, and have results/proof to back it up. And yeh I don’t think the recommended list is perfect, but it’s the best one I know. 

Edited by Britalien
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

After some re-evaluating and some more research, I've settled on two surgeons: 

Doctor Wong from Hasson and Wong 

Doctor Raymond Konior from Chicago Hair Institute

Anyone have experience with these two surgeons in particular? 

Just put either Dr in the search bar here, both will have 1000s of mentions, you can tweak the results to find patient posted results and/or members who have gone to them. 👍🏽

Edited by Britalien

7 hours ago, AsianBoyHairLoss said:

The only situation where I think that would be wise is for a patient who is already significantly towards the end point of their hair loss pattern and then transplant those hairs which are not susceptible to further hair loss, locking in a permanent hairline.  Once you don't have anymore hair to lose, meds are going to help so they won't be needed.

In the case of someone like yourself where your end point Norwood is still unknown,  using up valuable donor hair now, and allowing your balding to proceed because of a lack of hairloss meds, will leave you in a position where you have an odd amount of density at the front of your hairline and little left to fill in the rest.

Someone your age is best holding off until it becomes apparent where you are going to wind up.  A good surgeon will work around that with what you have available.  Have you though about using just Minoxidil?  It's much less problematic in terms of side effects than Fin and might buy you some years.