Advice before my FUE in September

Hi everyone, 33 year old male who is scheduled for a FUE with Dr. Cortez of HMR clinic in Tijuana this September.  I was quoted 2-2.2k grafts for frontal hairline restoration. I've been on fin 1 mg oral daily and min 5% topical once daily for years, and added ketoconazole 2% shampoo twice weekly a few months ago. First two pics are hairline with no product in hair, 3rd pic is hairline with product in hair, and last pic is crown. A few questions:

1. does 2-2.2k grafts seem reasonable? My layperson hunch was estimating just slightly below 2k but who knows. Just want to make sure not to overdo it in the event I need a second procedure down the road.

2. From 4th pic, does it seem like crown needs any grafts or nah? 

3. Almost everything I've seen from Dr. Cortez of HMR has been overwhelmingly positive and I feel confident going with him, but I just want to ask on here if there are any hidden horror stories or words of caution regarding HMR before I proceed. 

Edit: thanks for the feedback everyone. I did take a look at some of Dr. Cortez's negative feedback and questionable work and it has definitely got me rethinking. I've got a few months to mull it over and see if I'd rather go with a more reputable doctor.

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Edited by Darth FUE
updating

Hello, 

I don't know if it is a good idea to go with Dr. Cortez to be honest. 

Check out emo24's thread. 

He got his donor area overharvested pretty badly. And there were some other guys with similar issues on the forum. 

Your crown looks fine.  It's called having a part-line and a cowlick.  Especially if it's been roughly like that for a good while, I wouldn't say grafts there would be wise. There may be some on this forum that will tell you you're surely on the verge of disaster there, but the type of person to look at that fourth pic and say that is the type to over scrutinize everything.  I can't speak to how good your doc is, but the graft number quoted to you looks pretty reasonable for the design you've drawn.  It may end up being more in the 1800 graft range, but if 2200 ends up being needed to make the area dense, better to use the extra 400 to create a great hairline than save them for later.   

Edited by John1991

37 minutes ago, Yaka said:

I got my appointment with Dr Cortez for September as well because I can’t get a hold of Dr Nader anymore. Anyone know why by any chance?

Go to a better doctor bro. 

Cortez has several cases of donor area overharvesting on this forum.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:10 AM, Yaka said:

I got my appointment with Dr Cortez for September as well because I can’t get a hold of Dr Nader anymore. Anyone know why by any chance?

Send a follow up email once every week or two. Reply to your last email and politely let him know your replying again

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, Darth FUE said:

Hi everyone, 33 year old male who is scheduled for a FUE with Dr. Cortez of HMR clinic in Tijuana this September.  I was quoted 2-2.2k grafts for frontal hairline restoration. I've been on fin 1 mg oral daily and min 5% topical once daily for years, and added ketoconazole 2% shampoo twice weekly a few months ago. First two pics are hairline with no product in hair, 3rd pic is hairline with product in hair, and last pic is crown. A few questions:

1. does 2-2.2k grafts seem reasonable? My layperson hunch was estimating just slightly below 2k but who knows. Just want to make sure not to overdo it in the event I need a second procedure down the road.

2. From 4th pic, does it seem like crown needs any grafts or nah? 

3. Almost everything I've seen from Dr. Cortez of HMR has been overwhelmingly positive and I feel confident going with him, but I just want to ask on here if there are any hidden horror stories or words of caution regarding HMR before I proceed. 

Edit: thanks for the feedback everyone. I did take a look at some of Dr. Cortez's negative feedback and questionable work and it has definitely got me rethinking. I've got a few months to mull it over and see if I'd rather go with a more reputable doctor.

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

My HMR experience was not the best not the best.... Density is not what I expected. When he was implanting my hairs he kept complaining that I have a "dense cranium". He put a lot of pressure to fit in the grafts and I do honestly believe that affected my yield (maybe it's my fault lol). He also gave me this comb over look where my bangs only look good when I comb it to the right side. My hairline is very straight even when I told him to give me a widows peak. Honestly, I think this clinic is overrated. But then again this is just my personal opinion and experience.

4 hours ago, Greenlantern2020 said:

100% agree with this. This was my own experience. 

Your donor actually looked pretty good tbh even at a skin fade. Why the sudden change of heart? 

with that being said I know pics don’t always capture the real story

4 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Your donor actually looked pretty good tbh even at a skin fade. Why the sudden change of heart? 

with that being said I know pics don’t always capture the real story

I had some spots that corrected, however, one patch that I rarely take pictures of that is still there. Moreover, I'm just not a fan of my personal experience with HMR including the linear hairline they always tend to do

As everybody advised, Cortez has definitely shown poor results in the recent times, my advise will be to do your research, have a look at the list of doctors advised by the forum. Take evaluation from everyone and then according to your convivence and need chose a surgeon. 

Don't rush, are you on any meds?

Darth FUE,

I think the estimate of just around 2000 grafts sounds about right and if done by a skilled and experienced surgeon, it would certainly provide you with a natural and youthful looking hairline.

Now to be clear, I don’t know anything about the surgeon you’ve selected.  But please make sure you’ve selected your surgeon based on diligent research and the surgeons proven ability to produce regular outstanding results.  You can do this by viewing clinic and patient posted results on this forum, talking to and meeting with real patients of his (in person or video chat like Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, etc.), consulting with the doctor using a list of questions that will help you determine whether he is performing state of the art FUE hair transplantation., etc.  

Also. Your crown looks good as is, I wouldn’t touch it at this point.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, Greenlantern2020 said:

My HMR experience was not the best not the best.... Density is not what I expected. When he was implanting my hairs he kept complaining that I have a "dense cranium". He put a lot of pressure to fit in the grafts and I do honestly believe that affected my yield (maybe it's my fault lol). He also gave me this comb over look where my bangs only look good when I comb it to the right side. My hairline is very straight even when I told him to give me a widows peak. Honestly, I think this clinic is overrated. But then again this is just my personal opinion and experience.

What exactly did he mean by dense cranium? Did you ask? 

• 5 weeks later...