When YouTubers get a Hair Transplant

NARMAK

So there's this YouTube channel by a guy named Brett Maverick and he just recently claimed in that video he wasn't going to get one until its very noticeable and he's desperate to get it back. Details how he researched "everything" and did everything in the books to stop hair loss first such as used topicals (Minoxidil?), scalp massages (lol) and "these type of things" (whatever that means). 

He then says a Doctor from Turkey reached about how he "wanted to work with me" and give him a HT. He then figured it was a "great opportunity" (cue roll eyes emoji) and why not jump on that opportunity to "get his hairline back". 

I just do not understand how tone deaf somebody has to be on a channel geared towards male self improvement to realise he just undermined himself and allegedly what he held as a "principle". 

This is why these hair mills are having such a disproportionate influence because young guys are seeing silly videos with flash shots and tourism ideas when it comes to getting a HT rather than the truth and proper information. 

He raises some good points about how he wants to look good and given HTs are an elective procedure, we can probably all agree that's admirable, but the key part is choosing a competent highly regarded Doctor and clinic with a proven track record. Not just because they reached out, put you up in a flashy hotel and pay for a swanky airport transfer. 

People seem to not realise they'll probably be paying more attention getting them into that chair and making it look good than actually what happens to them during the procedure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

That’s the blonde guy who was friends with Conor Murphy, the other YouTuber who got an HT. Basically he was paid to get an HT. But he may find himself in a situation like Greg Doucette who’s hairline looks super unnatural, and now he has to shave. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Brett Maverick is crazy. 

He doesn't even have hairloss at all. Maybe Norwood 1. 

I understand he is a some kind of model and thus wants to look the best possible but his hairline  is fine. He looks like he has a normal head of hair. 

A hair transplant will uselessly create white dot scarring in his donor area, waste the grafts and reduce donor capacity in case he'll really need a HT further down the road....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

So there's this YouTube channel by a guy named Brett Maverick and he just recently claimed in that video he wasn't going to get one until its very noticeable and he's desperate to get it back. Details how he researched "everything" and did everything in the books to stop hair loss first such as used topicals (Minoxidil?), scalp massages (lol) and "these type of things" (whatever that means). 

He then says a Doctor from Turkey reached about how he "wanted to work with me" and give him a HT. He then figured it was a "great opportunity" (cue roll eyes emoji) and why not jump on that opportunity to "get his hairline back". 

I just do not understand how tone deaf somebody has to be on a channel geared towards male self improvement to realise he just undermined himself and allegedly what he held as a "principle". 

This is why these hair mills are having such a disproportionate influence because young guys are seeing silly videos with flash shots and tourism ideas when it comes to getting a HT rather than the truth and proper information. 

He raises some good points about how he wants to look good and given HTs are an elective procedure, we can probably all agree that's admirable, but the key part is choosing a competent highly regarded Doctor and clinic with a proven track record. Not just because they reached out, put you up in a flashy hotel and pay for a swanky airport transfer. 

People seem to not realise they'll probably be paying more attention getting them into that chair and making it look good than actually what happens to them during the procedure. 

Totally agree

• Administrators

He’s gonna ruin his perfectly good hairline for money and content 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

26 minutes ago, Jason Blaha said:

Brett Maverick is crazy. 

He doesn't even have hairloss at all. Maybe Norwood 1. 

I understand he is a some kind of model and thus wants to look the best possible but his hairline  is fine. He looks like he has a normal head of hair. 

A hair transplant will uselessly create white dot scarring in his donor area, waste the grafts and reduce donor capacity in case he'll really need a HT further down the road....

If you look at the video he posted, he shows his buzzed down look and he has very mild temple point recession and the temporal areas giving him imo a solid Norwood 2 look. 

Norwood 1 btw is just considered a "mature hairline" so most don't even say it's balding at all. 

Then during the video he says a "common" thing for FUE with a voice over is that he discussed with the doctor 1400 grafts but in the end, they allegedly took 2500. The hair loss he had at best didn't need that much. 1500-1600 MAX in the best doctors hands would have been enough and still probably on the high side. 

The recipient area looked really bloody and i do not know how much of those grafts will survive and then they had the audacity to outline his temple points and literally dotted a few grafts here and there. 

My hair transplant was 2010 grafts in total and that included 330 grafts for my right temple and 400 for my left. Leaving me 1280 grafts planted along the frontal hairline at a density that doesn't look like they will be competing for blood supply and give me poor survival yields. 

He seemed to be educated in some areas on hair loss, making vids but i think it just goes to show how a LOT of guys are actually clueless on hair loss or might be knowledgeable but there but clueless on hair transplants. I count myself amongst those until i went on this journey over 12 months ago to try make sure i can keep my hair as long as possible then also getting a hair transplant. 

So i'll be 2 years on medication at that point and hopefully be able to document my journey. At the very least, it's going to be interesting to compare his results. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That’s the blonde guy who was friends with Conor Murphy, the other YouTuber who got an HT. Basically he was paid to get an HT. But he may find himself in a situation like Greg Doucette who’s hairline looks super unnatural, and now he has to shave. 

Are there any vids showing Greg’s hairline grown out?

• Valued Contributor

The problem with many hair loss YouTubers is that having a hair transplant does not make you a hair transplant surgeon or an authority. Unless of course you put this up as a disclaimer to begin with. The same if you are getting any financial kick back's from surgeon's to find patients or being paid to promote products with out making this transparent first to everyone. Some see my way of thinking as being none of anyone's business. But once you sell your credibility you can never buy it back. Extremely vulnerable young people are watching these channels and sadly place all of their own personal research on these 'influencers.' The same as they do by letting social media such as instagram and Face Book influence their decision making.  Running competitions to win a free hair transplant in Turkey for example takes this lack of accountability to whole new level. I have often thought about starting an educational channel to help those who have been butchered to get on with there lives or to help prevent people from getting a hair transplant because the results will be far from their goals and result in them being left in a much worse place than they started. But finding the time with a full time job, time spent enjoying being part of this community and everything else in my life makes it unrealistic. In short I just don't have the time.

• Thanks 1

There's that guy who promotes his own website with exorbitantly marked up products on his own site, who got a HT in South Korea, they messed it up the first time and he still went back for a 2nd. 

Then there's Conor Murphy who finally admitted to a HT in his younger days and got a 2nd procedure but i believe Conor has had some personal issues which imo have had a serious mental health impact and he can be somewhat forgiven. People around him haven't always got him the help he needed but used him in an exploitation to get more views. It's sad. 

Brett Maverick seems like an under educated YouTuber and Greg Doucette unfortunately like Derek seem to know a lot about fitness and nutrition but barely did the same research for hair transplants at all. 

I would personally start a YouTube but it's INCREDIBLY hard to get bigger. Melvin will probably tell you this himself and he has solid content. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, NARMAK said:

There's that guy who promotes his own website with exorbitantly marked up products on his own site, who got a HT in South Korea, they messed it up the first time and he still went back for a 2nd. 

Then there's Conor Murphy who finally admitted to a HT in his younger days and got a 2nd procedure but i believe Conor has had some personal issues which imo have had a serious mental health impact and he can be somewhat forgiven. People around him haven't always got him the help he needed but used him in an exploitation to get more views. It's sad. 

Brett Maverick seems like an under educated YouTuber and Greg Doucette unfortunately like Derek seem to know a lot about fitness and nutrition but barely did the same research for hair transplants at all. 

I would personally start a YouTube but it's INCREDIBLY hard to get bigger. Melvin will probably tell you this himself and he has solid content. 

It depends, it’s hard to get big only focusing on hair. Derek got primarily big talking about fitness, but he is diverse, fitness, steroids, and social issues. He adds hair in there, but its not his main focus.

Mr. Rolandas has a good channel, of course, not as big as Bret or Conor, to get that size there’s almost always a gimmick. For Brett it was “Super model does_” those videos blew him up. I remember when he had under 100k subs. Conor did the shirtless pick up videos. Less educational and more entertainment.

From the beginning I wanted to focus on education. No nonsense, real content that could help the viewer. No gimmicks, no nonsense. But with YouTube algorithm, it’s much harder to grow. If you make a YouTube channel, the message will help someone regardless, even if you only have 100 subs. Don’t let that deter you. 

• Like 2

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It depends, it’s hard to get big only focusing on hair. Derek got primarily big talking about fitness, but he is diverse, fitness, steroids, and social issues. He adds hair in there, but its not his main focus.

Mr. Rolandas has a good channel, of course, not as big as Bret or Conor, to get that size there’s almost always a gimmick. For Brett it was “Super model does_” those videos blew him up. I remember when he had under 100k subs. Conor did the shirtless pick up videos. Less educational and more entertainment.

From the beginning I wanted to focus on education. No nonsense, real content that could help the viewer. No gimmicks, no nonsense. But with YouTube algorithm, it’s much harder to grow. If you make a YouTube channel, the message will help someone regardless, even if you only have 100 subs. Don’t let that deter you. 

Yeah, hair loss is astoundingly a bit of a niche thing in YouTube overall, yet massive in how many people it affects and sometimes videos blow up. 

I think ultimately you are correct in that the message getting out to people is the main thing but i just wish there was a bit of a better way. Derek does do imo a great job with his hair loss videos overall for education. It's just the hair transplants he severely falls down on it seems. 

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Yeah, hair loss is astoundingly a bit of a niche thing in YouTube overall, yet massive in how many people it affects and sometimes videos blow up. 

I think ultimately you are correct in that the message getting out to people is the main thing but i just wish there was a bit of a better way. Derek does do imo a great job with his hair loss videos overall for education. It's just the hair transplants he severely falls down on it seems. 

It’s difficult, because the hair mills will throw money at these influencers. Their demographic is the 18-34 demographic, which is more likely to be cost-sensitive.  

Hair transplants take a great deal of research and time. There’s not enough channels out there to be honest. If you have ideas on how to create a YouTube channel, you should do it. While I don’t have a big following on YouTube. I will definitely help. I’m all about getting the right information out there, if there’s more channels, the better. 

View my thread

36 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It’s difficult, because the hair mills will throw money at these influencers. Their demographic is the 18-34 demographic, which is more likely to be cost-sensitive.  

Hair transplants take a great deal of research and time. There’s not enough channels out there to be honest. If you have ideas on how to create a YouTube channel, you should do it. While I don’t have a big following on YouTube. I will definitely help. I’m all about getting the right information out there, if there’s more channels, the better. 

I had a YouTube channel a while back but it was more geared towards gaming and sometimes movies. I gave up because after even quite a few months worth of content, it just seemed extremely hard to grow. I am thinking with possibly a new channel name that's more "original" in terms of not getting out searched by others, it might grow but at the same time, i don't know if i can do what people like Mr Rolandas have been able to do with the time i have. So i just help where i can with this forum and i guess in some ways, a person like me atm who wants to preserve their privacy a little more might not be the best where others happily put themselves fully into the public. 

I may have a change of heart at some point and make a channel for that sort of content alongside others as maybe an overall "Lifestyle" channel which i think plays better to a male demographic in general as younger guys always seem open to searching out content for self improvement. 

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that younger guys in the prime of their life have to watch other younger guys on youtube 'choad' out on plastic surgery/fitness/'roids etc...

It seems extremely narcissistic - but here we are all getting plastic surgery (hair restoration) - if only it was 100% normalized that regular functional bodies without alot of vanity muscle & balding is 'normal' for over 50% of adult men and that being overly concerned w/one's body & appearance was more vain (like women). 

But that's more a function of age vs vanity I suppose.  I just don't get watching other dudes on youtube & obsessing & being overly 'aware' of them.  It seems excessively boorish to me.  Just my opinion.

Edited by jjsrader

2 minutes ago, jjsrader said:

I find it hilarious that younger guys in the prime of their life have to watch other younger guys on youtube 'choad' out on plastic surgery/fitness/'roids etc...

It seems extremely narcissistic - but here we are all getting plastic surgery (hair restoration) - if only it was 100% normalized that regular functional bodies without alot of vanity muscle & balding is 'normal' for over 50% of adult men and that being overly concerned w/one's body & appearance was more vain (like women). 

But that's more a function of age vs vanity I suppose.  I just don't get watching other dudes on youtube & obsessing & being overly 'aware' of them.  It seems excessively boorish to me.  Just my opinion.

Spoken like a true boomer

• Haha 2

Greg Doucette just posted an update 6 days ago and i just don't honestly know where to even start. 

He goes "I don't care about a hair transplant" and yet the idiot got one because apparently his girlfriend was supposed to get it and didn't, so he thought he would? Like what?! 

Then he mentions a lot of other guff and he seems to have never mentioned from recollection that he was probably being paid by the place that did it. 

These sorta people are so meticulous on fitness and nutrition information but literal numpties on hair transplants. 

The cherry on top of this poop show? Greg Doucette was being paid to advertise a big American brand that's promoting hair loss stacks like Finasteride and Minoxidil in their own branded, marked up package. Yes ladies and gents, the shilling just don't stop. 

I honestly think get your bag and in some ways i guess even if it's through these brands, more people can keep hair and it becomes less taboo, but the audacity to claim you don't care about hair loss and get a hair transplant and then still claim you don't care about hair is just damaging for impressionable people to hear. 

3 minutes ago, Grant Giller said:

This topic is so important for people to discuss. So many people go on YouTube and talk about how they got a "perfect" hair transplant from Dr. "X" and it just isn't realistic. 

yep not everyone at "X clinic" will be given the same attention and quality transplant as the celebrity spokesman.

• Thanks 1

Hair Mills unfortunately have got a stranglehold on the social media stuff and the actual top doctors have enough consistent business to not have to bother chasing stuff whereas hair mills work on volume. 

These YouTubers are just another angle for these hair mills to ply, and if they don't need to pay them anything more than a "free" hair transplant and some flights/hotel for the exposure, then i don't think they'll be losing out. If the results sub par, they'll gaslight the uneducated person to believe that it was due to something they probably did. 

Speaking of YouTubers there was another Mike Majak who rides the cost tips of Logan Paul and scams his own followers for money also got a cheap hair transplant for 2,000$ while also buying a 4 million dollar home within the same time frame. 

I think there’s an ignorance about doctors and medical field that they all are the same and assume all clinics and surgeons have your best interest in mind when they clearly don’t. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

16 hours ago, stephcurry30 said:

Speaking of YouTubers there was another Mike Majak who rides the cost tips of Logan Paul and scams his own followers for money also got a cheap hair transplant for 2,000$ while also buying a 4 million dollar home within the same time frame. 

I think there’s an ignorance about doctors and medical field that they all are the same and assume all clinics and surgeons have your best interest in mind when they clearly don’t. 

I don't think it's just ignorance. He "negotiated" with the clinic to basically promote them lead guys to them and get a kickback. 

These guys are scumbags and tbh, i wouldn't mind seeing this idiot get his just desserts for it. 

Being a millionaire is luck in so many ways for some people. Good for him, he got his bag but there's so many, either born into it or made millionaires and they're complete morons. 

It also doesn't make sense that they don't do proper research but, glad we have got the resources like here and elsewhere to point it out. 

• Like 1