Unnatural hairline

Niki94

Hi! I had fue hair transplant in January as I had really prominent temples for a woman which made my forehead (already big enough) optically bigger. I had 800 grafts put in my temples. However, 6 months passed and I feel like the hairline looks unnatural and I'm not sure if it's gonna change after some time (like hair gets lighter after sun exposure which helps to make the transition from roots to ends more natural) or if it was not done properly.

I have naturally very thick hair and the hairline now looks very obvious (there's no natural transition) and also very straight. I noticed that many doctors don't do straight hairlines, but put some hairs outside of the hairline to make it look more natural. But this was not the case of my experience. Also, I noticed that my doctor put a lot of 2's in the first row of hair. I don't know if it's just me or it really shouldn't look like this.

What do you think?

Thank you. 

65DBDF05-5BFA-408C-A645-09D311B4EA5A.jpeg

7737054C-44C5-4AA8-8D2B-23184120BA4A.jpeg

F3114F65-3913-4BBC-868D-2772479C1FC6.jpeg

Edited by Niki94

Unfortunately, yes, it's not you who see the unnatural hairline, but that's it, can you tell us in which clinic / surgeon you performed your procedure?

it is if you draw your hair back, and you didnt have the operation on the other side? it's a little visible because it's not even on the whole hairline.

a few row of soft single graft could mask them though i think.

it does look a bit harsh right now, good growth though. You can always have this tweaked later on if you don't like it.

Who was the doctor?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

It doesn't look natural because of the multiple grafts, hairlines should be single grafts so it looks soft and build behind it with multiple grafts. To soften this up a repair is probably needed unfortunately. 

I think you would benefit from a much more experienced clinic and Dr to go over the area with a second pass for density and also potentially evaluate if they can put singles in front slightly to give a more natural and feathered appearance or whether they would need to remove grafts and replant. 

It's extremely difficult to find the right place and i think your experience will hopefully help other potential patients avoid a similar outcome if you can name the clinic and doctor. 

Thank you all for your opinions. I'm from Slovakia so it was Slovak surgeon (for this reason I believe it's not necessary to give name of clinic/surgeon as probably nobody from here will ever go there). It's very hard to choose a good surgeon here but I will check what my options are. 

@mafpe I got it done on both sides, but I showed only (right) one which is worse and more noticeable (but both have the same issue).

Simply a badly done transplant.  Luckily, shouldn’t be very hard to fix if you go to a good surgeon.  They will just need to add a little density and put a few hundred single follicles in front of all the multies, and add some irregularities.

• Thanks 1

Check out my journey here:

14 hours ago, Niki94 said:

Thank you all for your opinions. I'm from Slovakia so it was Slovak surgeon (for this reason I believe it's not necessary to give name of clinic/surgeon as probably nobody from here will ever go there). It's very hard to choose a good surgeon here but I will check what my options are. 

@mafpe I got it done on both sides, but I showed only (right) one which is worse and more noticeable (but both have the same issue).

in that case a coverup with a new hairline would do the trick, make sure your chosen surgeon would use only single grafts and soft hairs if you want to achieve a very natural result. otherwise, a few row of single grafts while will emulate a natural look, will still look a little thick.

you can have the transplanted hair removed but i think that's a wasteful way to do it, better just to cover it up. it's rare people's look would deteroriate from a slightly lower hairline. they'd look younger if anything. *unless your forehead end up only being 4 cm from the glabella, that is

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

@Niki94 this is a very common mistake unfortunately. However it is very repairable and probably the most common repair performed by elite surgeons. Have a look at the list of surgeons recommended by the forum members. Unfortunately choosing a surgeon based on geography is rarely a good idea (the same with basing a surgeon on budget). Wishing you all the best.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

it does look a bit harsh right now, good growth though. You can always have this tweaked later on if you don't like it.

Who was the doctor?

Um... What do you mean good growth? How is the growth good? It's not about sticking hair on the scalp and waiting for it to grow. All the hair on her hairline is growing in the wrong directions.  The hairs on her hairline are pluggy, because they are all taken from the deepest part of the safe zone in the donor area.. where the hair is dark, multiple grafts and thick diameter. This is very amateur work by the clinic

Hi @Niki94 Do not worry. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for you. I've had the same thing myself corrected after suffering 5 years with it.

Is this only on a left side that has the problem? A skilled Doctor will be able to remove a couple of grafts on your hairline and your forehead seems to be big enough that it will allow some room for the new softer grafts to be implanted in front of those multiple follicular unit grafts. These grafts will be real single grafts, strategically taken from areas in the back where the hair grows with less pigment and softer characteristics. This will be a fantastic outcome and you will be able to push your hair back without feeling shy or worried that it looks unnatural. 

It's excellent that you educated yourself to completely understand what is wrong with your hairline.  A lot of people who get their hair transplants in places like Turkey have result like you and don't seem to be bothered how it looks... because it's just hair right? As long as it grows who cares..

One last thing. Since you're from Slovakia, I recommend doing research on Dr. Bisanga at @BHRClinic, it's in Belgium and it isn't too far away from you. You won't need more than 500 grafts. We all wish you good luck

• Like 1

Thank you @Ryan Daniel so much for your input and advices. It helped me a lot to get more details on how it should have been done correctly so I can find the right clinic to get it fixed.

I trusted that this doctor is skilled and I didn't know much about these techniques at the time when I went to get the transplant. I have it done on both sides, you can see on this photo the left side as well. Above I showed only right side, because the transplant there is more obvious due to another strange technique that doctor used - he didn't have any specialized measuring tool to draw the new hairline symetrically on both sides, he just drew the line intuitively and for this reason my left side was done higher than it was supposed to be, thus the hairline with transplanted hair is shorter there. But still, I need to get fixed both, I just thought it's more illustrative on the right side.

Thank you all again for your messages 😊

A56260E0-9C6B-4040-A6BB-CDB961784CA4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Niki94 said:

Thank you @Ryan Daniel so much for your input and advices. It helped me a lot to get more details on how it should have been done correctly so I can find the right clinic to get it fixed.

I trusted that this doctor is skilled and I didn't know much about these techniques at the time when I went to get the transplant. I have it done on both sides, you can see on this photo the left side as well. Above I showed only right side, because the transplant there is more obvious due to another strange technique that doctor used - he didn't have any specialized measuring tool to draw the new hairline symetrically on both sides, he just drew the line intuitively and for this reason my left side was done higher than it was supposed to be, thus the hairline with transplanted hair is shorter there. But still, I need to get fixed both, I just thought it's more illustrative on the right side.

Thank you all again for your messages 😊

A56260E0-9C6B-4040-A6BB-CDB961784CA4.jpeg

Hi again @Niki94

Yes I can see a big difference from the hair in the central part compared to this side. On the eyes they my look line single hair grafts but they are actually all doubles.

Below I have drawn a quick feminine hairline for you to give you some ideas of what to expect. 

image.png.4259dda3a431ed2e3f5a8b61dff8ffb5.png

I have drawn a hairline a few millimeters in front of the original one which will be enough space to plant new soft singles in the first 2 or 3 rows, along with the sides for better framing! I would definitely discuss this with the next doctor to remove at least 20-30 grafts from the first few rows. 

Good luck again

• Thanks 1