Can finasteride and Minoxidil increase the thickness in my case?

Adier

Hey guys been loosing hair for three years now. Although i would say i have not receded heavily. Norwood 1.5-2 but my scalp has diffuse thinning. Just wanted to know what should be my expectations with finasteride and minoxidil in my case. Can it thicken these areas?Thanks.

IMG-20220611-WA0000.jpg

• Administrators

100% YES!

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Adier said:

@Melvin- Moderator Thanks for the reply. I wish I had started earlier. Do you think I can make considerable progress? I honestly keeping my expectations fairly low.

It’s not miracle treatment, but I believe combined you will considerable gains. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin- ModeratorI understand. As i mentioned it's the overall thinning that's been the worry to me. Most from my paternal side are at most Norwood 4 or 5 including my father. I don't know where i am heading considering i am 25 years old but i really hope i could gain some density and maintain for a good period of time. 

2 hours ago, Adier said:

@Eugenix Hair Sciences Does the combination help in increasing the density in the hairline area?

No. It will not increase density in the hairline area. You might see the growth of vellus or baby hair in the frontal zone due to the medications. The mid scalp and crown respond well to the medications.

Edited by Eugenix Hair Sciences
  • Like 1

@Eugenix Hair SciencesAppreciate the response. There was some minimal thinning in my hairline. The temples are pretty much present but i could see some minimal thinning there too. I was hoping finasteride could thicken them😅. But if my baldness doesn't progress then too it is a win for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adier said:

@Eugenix Hair SciencesAppreciate the response. There was some minimal thinning in my hairline. The temples are pretty much present but i could see some minimal thinning there too. I was hoping finasteride could thicken them😅. But if my baldness doesn't progress then too it is a win for me.

Finasteride will prevent any further thinning of hair in the frontal zone and temples but as far as bringing back the density is concerned, finasteride will not do that in the frontal zone and temples.

I was on finasteride and Minoxidil before my transplantation procedure. I had hair loss in the frontal zone. These medications did not bring back the hair in the frontal zone. All I got was density in the crown and mid scalp. I got a lot of vellus hair in the frontal zone though.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

@Gabreille Nelson Mukhia Thanks for the response. I have seen your transformation on you tube.  But i guess I can't consider a transplant right now because of my pattern of baldness being diffused. Hopefully meds can bring it back to a position where i won't need one. 

Edited by Adier
  • Like 1

@Adier another tool in the arsenal would be microneedling as that alone helps thicken hair, but when combined with Minoxidil the response is many times off the charts. Very safe and very easy to incorporate as part of your home care. Of course, above all, first and foremost, finasteride is the number one treatment and be sure to stick with it religiously. In a years time, you can re-assess. 

Because you are a diffused thinner, @Eugenix Hair Sciences is the best in the business at handling those cases should you need a transplant later down the line. 

Best of luck with everything!

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

@MazABI have ordered a dermaroller. I would probably be using thrice a month depending on how i tolerate the pain. Also adding some multivitamins and Vitamin D .As far as transplant is concerned if i do make gains from the regimen then i believe transplant might become more difficult because the space available between hairs would then decrease and transplant can be a risk and might damage the native hair but if i just happen to maintain what i have then i am hundred considering hair transplant at Eugenix as i am from India and Dr Sethi is from my native state only. But first I need to give medications 8-12 months to see where i end up. Thanks for the response.

Edited by Adier
  • Like 1

Just a quick update. I will be starting with the following from tonight onwards. 

Finasteride 1mg everyday.

Topical Minoxidil 5% twice a day.

Dermarolling thrice a month.

I talked to a local Dermatologist she was also suggesting me for PRP along with the above regimen (not including dermarolling). What are you thoughts on PRP for my condition? Is it worth giving a shot?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 2:59 AM, Adier said:

Just a quick update. I will be starting with the following from tonight onwards. 

Finasteride 1mg everyday.

Topical Minoxidil 5% twice a day.

Dermarolling thrice a month.

I talked to a local Dermatologist she was also suggesting me for PRP along with the above regimen (not including dermarolling). What are you thoughts on PRP for my condition? Is it worth giving a shot?

Thanks.

what is the needle size of you DR? I feel 3 times a month is pretty much. 

@JoselitoElGalloThe needle size is 0.5 mm. I am not a huge fan of dermarolling but if it can improve my current situation then why not. Also my goal with medical treatment is to go to a point where when the hair is longer the thinning doesn't become very noticable. In the pic my hair is very short in length. And if i can then be able to maintain my gains till 30 probably will consider a HT . But if at all i don't get any thickness back(which i believe can happen)i will go for a HT in a year or two. 

Edited by Adier

10 minutes ago, Adier said:

@JoselitoElGalloThe needle size is 0.5 mm. I am not a huge fan of dermarolling but if it can improve my current situation then why not. Also my goal with medical treatment is to go to a point where when the hair is longer the thinning doesn't become very noticable. In the pic my hair is very short in length. And if i can then be able to maintain my gains till 30 probably will consider a HT . But if at all i don't get any thickness back(which i believe can happen)i will go for a HT in a year or two. 

It has pretty much sense. Dont give up on it. I just ask about 3 times because it can make fibrosis but with 0.5 lenght I dont think that there is risk at all.

4 hours ago, Adier said:

@Eugenix Hair SciencesCan my sleep schedule affect my results?

Depending on my work time i sometimes sleep early but sometimes I have to sleep real late. But i do make sure i get 7-8 hours of sleep. Is it going to affect my progress?

It can affect your hair loss but to a very low degree. A healthy sleep cycle and lifestyle is good for the overall health and hair.

• 2 weeks later...

One month update. I think I never shedded. But nonetheless my hair fall has reduced a lot. Not sure if there is thickening or not but it's just one month so i am not worried. 

IMG_20220713_231855.jpg

• 2 months later...