Nizoral 2% after hair transplant.

How long post-transplant would you think one should wait until using Nizoral?  I'm talking twice a week, not overuse.  It seems Niz is a controversial subject here.  Personally, I've found using it 2-3 times a week (under normal circumstances) thickens hair, but some people here swear against it.  It's worth mentioning that Niz is used by people to treat folliculitis (which can and does occur on the forehead of people who haven't had a hair transplant), so perhaps it would be useful in lessening folliculitis in the recipient area?  I've been told by my doc it's ok to use it 1-2 times a week starting several weeks post-op - I'm not really asking this for my own circumstances - I'm just curious to see if there is anything resembling a general consensus on the matter here.

10 minutes ago, John1991 said:

How long post-transplant would you think one should wait until using Nizoral?  I'm talking twice a week, not overuse.  It seems Niz is a controversial subject here.  Personally, I've found using it 2-3 times a week (under normal circumstances) thickens hair, but some people here swear against it.  It's worth mentioning that Niz is used by people to treat folliculitis (which can and does occur on the forehead of people who haven't had a hair transplant), so perhaps it would be useful in lessening folliculitis in the recipient area?  I've been told by my doc it's ok to use it 1-2 times a week starting several weeks post-op - I'm not really asking this for my own circumstances - I'm just curious to see if there is anything resembling a general consensus on the matter here.

Nizoral doesn't thicken hair. It dries the crap out of it, making it seem thicker.

Once you're all healed up I don't see a problem using it?

Be sure to leave it on the scalp a good 5-10 minutes.

It didn't do much for my folliculitis. Washing 2x a day with simple head and shoulders helped though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MAIZE1694 said:

Nizoral doesn't thicken hair. It dries the crap out of it, making it seem thicker.

Once you're all healed up I don't see a problem using it?

Be sure to leave it on the scalp a good 5-10 minutes.

It didn't do much for my folliculitis. Washing 2x a day with simple head and shoulders helped though.

You are correct in saying that Nizoral dries up the hair, but it is excellent to clear out the scalp from any fungus or white flakes

Also, you mentioned washing hair twice a day with head and shoulders..... please explain how that is good for hair? Nobody in the world should be washing their hair twice a day.  Some people don't even shower twice a day.....

• Like 1

I personally use it and it helped very mildly when it came to dandruff even if being polite about its impact but my main reason for using it was the study around it having mild Anti-Androgen properties. I wanted a little extra boost on top of anything else i was doing already. 

Just to also clarify, i didn't actually see any benefit for my dandruff based issues until i introduced Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo. That completely changed my dandruff situation. 

I actually had a conversation with my Eugenix post-care rep around these shampoo's for dandruff and was advised that i should wait around 3 months post-op to resume them. To manage with the Dove/mild shampoo and conditioners everyday to try help manage the flakes etc. if they are getting much. 

Because my hair is really short, i was actually thinking after my first headwash, i'd start using Castor Oil too. 

• Like 1

John,

Finasteride, minoxidil and Nizoral all used to be referred to as the “Big 3”. I don’t know if people still tout that mantra but Ive seen scientifically backed studies that ketoconazole (the active ingredient in Nizoral) can be just about as effective as minoxidil 2%.

The problem with Nizoral 2% specifically is that it can dry out your and scalp - even using it 2 or 3 times a week.  So if you are using it, I suggest applying some really good conditioner afterwords to aid in combatting the dessication of both your hair and scalp.

On the other hand, there are more gentle shampoos that contain 1% ketoconozole without the drying effect and you can use them daily.  Revita shampoo (if it still exists) is one such product.

There are also topical ketoconozole products out there like Extina (assuming it’s still made) that could help more than a shampoo that’s washed off after sitting on your scalp for a few minutes.

All that to say I’m a believer that ketoconozole might help as an adjunct hair loss treatment but just be cautious in using Nizoral 2%.

Best Wishes 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I forgot to add - if you’re going to use Nizoral 2% after your hair transplant, I suggest waiting a good solid month - simply because of its hair and scalp dessication effects.  If you’re going to try gentler ketoconozole shampoos like Revita, it’s safe using them about a week or so after your procedure.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2% Nizoral user here, two HTs under my belt and use it no problems. The one thing I'd say (in addition to the great advice you've already received) is to use it sparingly, both in consistency and the amount itself. I use it once or twice a week at most, alternated with T-Gel, and it does wonders for my dermatitis.

After my second HT I did wait about a month before resuming use, instead using Johnson's baby shampoo. I'll admit the baby shampoo is also oddly refreshing and I now sub it in the odd time.

• Like 1

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

12 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Also, you mentioned washing hair twice a day with head and shoulders..... please explain how that is good for hair? Nobody in the world should be washing their hair twice a day.  Some people don't even shower twice a day.....

I did it for about two weeks.

Cleared my scalp acne/folliculitis right up.

15 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

John,

Finasteride, minoxidil and Nizoral all used to be referred to as the “Big 3”. I don’t know if people still tout that mantra but Ive seen scientifically backed studies that ketoconazole (the active ingredient in Nizoral) can be just about as effective as minoxidil 2%.

The problem with Nizoral 2% specifically is that it can dry out your and scalp - even using it 2 or 3 times a week.  So if you are using it, I suggest applying some really good conditioner afterwords to aid in combatting the dessication of both your hair and scalp.

On the other hand, there are more gentle shampoos that contain 1% ketoconozole without the drying effect and you can use them daily.  Revita shampoo (if it still exists) is one such product.

There are also topical ketoconozole products out there like Extina (assuming it’s still made) that could help more than a shampoo that’s washed off after sitting on your scalp for a few minutes.

All that to say I’m a believer that ketoconozole might help as an adjunct hair loss treatment but just be cautious in using Nizoral 2%.

Best Wishes 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Right, Regenepure DR has ketoconozole 1% and is less abrasive and can therefore be used daily.  I doubt Nizoral 2% once a week starting 2 months post-op will negatively effect a transplant, though.  There seems to be a segment on this site that is very anti-Niz, particularly anti-Niz post hair transplant.  While I totally understand not recommending use of Niz in the first several weeks post-op, after the grafts are secure, the grafts are secure.  I used Niz 2% for the first time today and it's day 60 post-op.  I wasn't even considering using it the until at least 8 weeks (which is admittedly arbitrary, but it seemed roughly long enough to be safe).

Edited by John1991

14 hours ago, rob7331 said:

2% Nizoral user here, two HTs under my belt and use it no problems. The one thing I'd say (in addition to the great advice you've already received) is to use it sparingly, both in consistency and the amount itself. I use it once or twice a week at most, alternated with T-Gel, and it does wonders for my dermatitis.

After my second HT I did wait about a month before resuming use, instead using Johnson's baby shampoo. I'll admit the baby shampoo is also oddly refreshing and I now sub it in the odd time.

Ya, I used only baby shampoo for the firsts 5+ weeks post-op (I'm now 8.5 weeks post-op) and I found the baby shampoo to be very refreshing to my hair.  And didn't seem to lessen the thickness.  I will likely continue to use it once a week in the future in addition to Regenepure DR 4x and Niz 2x a week.  For now, I think I'll go with 3x baby shampoo, 3x Regenepure, and 1x Niz.

Edited by John1991

22 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Ive read conflicting stuff on this specifically on this site. 2% is very harsh. I’d listen to your doctor and wait a while to use it. 1% is drying but not as bad as the 2%

Yup, I did.  Didn't use it until day 60.  Just wanted to see what other people thought.

• Valued Contributor

I'm currently at month four post op. I wanted to use Nizoral 2% (or 1% for that matter) but I found my scalp was very dry post op. I tried Nizoral at month two and all it did was dry out my scalp leaving it feeling very flaky. I use it now at month four about twice a week, sometimes three times a week max. So be guided by your own scalp, situation, etc. There is no golden rule. All the best!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi all, coming to this thread after searching the forums. Is the suggestion that the problems with Nizoral are due solely to the drying impact? Or is anyone suggesting it may harm grafts?