Anyone Worse off from Minoxodil than when they Started

GoliGoliGoli

Hey all,

Has anyone regretted or heard of someone regretting using Minoxidil because they came out months after starting it in worse condition than when they begin? Essentially they got hit with the full effects of the shed phase but none of the expected regrowth?

I'm going in for a hair transplant before the end of the year and am considering using Min (Along with laser cap and possibly derma rolling) but am concerned with the dreaded Minox shed phase.Started using Min 2 days ago and already may be noticing some shedding (Or maybe imagining hard to say).```

Thanks

The shedding issue is common, most people have experienced thicker hair after the shed though, never heard of one where it doesn't regrow, at worst its not effective for you, and the hair stay the same. But that shouldnt be a problem since youre not losing any haur, just temporary shedding. You can use hair fiber to cover it during the shedding phase

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:
Hey all,

Has anyone regretted or heard of someone regretting using Minoxidil because they came out months after starting it in worse condition than when they begin? Essentially they got hit with the full effects of the shed phase but none of the expected regrowth?

I'm going in for a hair transplant before the end of the year and am considering using Min (Along with laser cap and possibly derma rolling) but am concerned with the dreaded Minox shed phase.Started using Min 2 days ago and already may be noticing some shedding (Or maybe imagining hard to say).```

Thanks

I've also started two days ago. You won't be shedding after only 48 hours of use. A shed is a good sign that the medication is working. All the best!

Yes, in the longer term you could be worse off. Generally the effects of Minox wane off after a few years. For some, after stopping the medication they are worse off as if they have never taken Minox.  

I've been using topical minoxidil for 3 years and strongly considering stopping using it. Mainly owing to the fact once I have my transplant i'll have to apply it by parting my native and transplanted hairs which i can imagine being a pain every day. Not only that but I can't seem to get hold of oral minox in the UK. I can't say i've witnessed any regrowth in the 3 years i've been taking it so keen to see people's views on this thread.

If you're 'worse off' from the time you started minoxidil, its not because of the minoxidil. The sooner you start it, the sooner you get any potential shed out of the way.

The reason people with male pattern baldness continue to lose hair is DHT. Minoxidil doesn't do anything to stop DHT. Minoxidil is just a growth enhancer for hairs that have not been completely destroyed by DHT.  Finasteride or Dutasteride are the medications that address the DHT problem.

And minoxidil doesn't 'wane' over time in effectiveness, it just seems that way because DHT continues to attack your hair follicles until they shrink so much you can no longer even see them with minoxidil growth enhancements. 

• Administrators

I have seen many cases worse off after they stop taking minoxidil. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to not shed?. Or shedding happens for everyone. I was using topical fin/min for 2 months but recently switched to oral fin and topical min. During my use of topical fin+min i did shed but this time i didn't.