3 weeks plus 1 day........ Still sore?

Evening guys...... im just over 3 weeks in and yet I've got redness (to be expected). However, the area front centre is still a little numb and I can still feel a low level pain. Is that normal??

3 hours ago, TheBigM said:

Evening guys...... im just over 3 weeks in and yet I've got redness (to be expected). However, the area front centre is still a little numb and I can still feel a low level pain. Is that normal??

Seems pretty normal to me. You just had thousands of micro stabbings on your dome. Maybe post a pic for the forum if you want to be safe.

Unless theres signs of infection I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

Yep, completely normal! This typically resolves itself within a couple of months at the most - sometimes sooner, sometimes a bit later. The punctures made in the scalp don't go deep enough to do any actual nerve damage, but they can irritate the nerves. Regardless, it's not anything to be alarmed about as is. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

For me redness went away between month 2/3. Numbness stayed for about 4-5 months. I never had pain on my whole scalp (due to the numbness) but only local areas, last month I had a painful patch for a few days not sure why. I don't know when exactly but I also had a pulsating sensation across my entire scalp for about a week which was odd.

But as you can see, it's different for everyone. Advice from my doc was to start worrying after 6 months if the redness, pain or numbness didn't go away.

But whatever you do, do not scratch your head (donor and recipient area).

• Like 1

Cheers all for your experiences shared. It is a little reassuring to know everyone else is going through similar issues.

Just didn't expect it to be this long...... let alone upto 6 months.

Hair has pretty much well out now and my hair is in desperate need of sorting out but Hay, it's a long game. 

20220523_113722.jpg

TheBigM,

Ultimately, anytime one undergoes surgery,  the surgeon is scoring the skin and potentially cutting tissue, nerves, vessels, etc.  The more recipient sites and extractions that are made, the more likely there will be a temporary impact to how the affected area looks and feels.  

At three weeks (and 1 day) post-op, it is very common and typical to still be a little sore, numb or even itchy in the recipient and donor areas. To assist with some of this you could consider applying aloe vera gel which can help with all of the above mentioned ailments with the exception of numbness which will go away on its own time.  This may take several months to even a year depending on a number factors  - mostly a patient’s healing characteristics, session size, density, etc.  

Long story short, the area will eventually heal and look and feel normal again.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

13 hours ago, TheBigM said:

Cheers all for your experiences shared. It is a little reassuring to know everyone else is going through similar issues.

Just didn't expect it to be this long...... let alone upto 6 months.

Hair has pretty much well out now and my hair is in desperate need of sorting out but Hay, it's a long game. 

Yeah, the waiting period you're in right now is often the hardest part, but you seem to be right on track and the work looks clean! Make sure to keep your scalp out of the sun, and try not to analyze your hair every day for your own peace of mind. The more you can actively try to forget about it, the less stressful the ugly duckling phase will be. Then hopefully around months 3-4, you'll look in the mirror and be pleasantly surprised to see some growth. The fun times are just around the corner!

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56