I had a HT last month and want to start letting my hair grow. The SMP is working well because I have buzz cut. Only thing is that when let it grow (in a couple of months) it will look weird with the SMP. Will the laser remove my new transplanted hair? When is it safe to remove the SMP

I’m in the US east coast, any recommendations for SMP removal?

It depends on the ratio of hair to smp in the thinning areas, you're correct that it can look weird if the hair thins out enough. But its an achievable level of hair density alot of guys can maintain with additional hair transplants as needed. Its actually something more guys should be considering as a long term strategy, especially if they have a more aggressive hair loss pattern, or are afraid of or can't use finasteride.  @EvoXOhio has posted his pics over in the SMP section of the forum and it looks great.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carad,

Individuals don’t typically get SMP to later then remove it. However, most people who undergo scalp micropigmentation get temporary SMP which completely fades and disappears all by itself after a period of time.

So my question to you is, did you undergo permanent or temporary SMP?

Also as another member said, SMP doesn’t have to be removed just because you grow your hair out. In fact, it may even provide you with a greater illusion of density.

The above aside, if you underwent permanent SMP and you really feel that you need to remove it, I suggest contacting your SMP practitioner to discuss the safest ways to remove it without affecting your actual hair.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

EvoX,

It’s nice to see photos of men who’ve undergone hair transplant surgery with long hair.  Because most individuals who share their results wear their hair in similar ways, your results show that hair styles for men who’ve has surgical hair restoration really can be versatile.

That said, it might help Caradubaxu if you post some photos showing the hairline (assuming you have SMP tattooing there as well).   I know if I was concerned about growing my hair out with SMP, my primary concern works be how the hairline would look.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hait Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

EvoX,

It’s nice to see photos of men who’ve undergone hair transplant surgery with long hair.  Because most individuals who share their results wear their hair in similar ways, your results show that hair styles for men who’ve has surgical hair restoration really can be versatile.

That said, it might help Caradubaxu if you post some photos showing the hairline (assuming you have SMP tattooing there as well).   I know if I was concerned about growing my hair out with SMP, my primary concern works be how the hairline would look.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hait Transplant

I didn’t want the SMP to be visible at the hairline because that would make it look obvious. So I had the artist start the SMP about a half inch behind the hairline. Because of this, you don’t see the dots on the hairline but you get the density illusion with all the hair behind it. 

B8B8C9FD-11CA-47F1-AC9D-3BC61BBDA36C.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. However, I still am in doubt. From reading this post, I do feel like I need to remove the smp away from the hairline slightly. However, will the smp removal also remove the transplanted hair? 

Got my first SMP session not too long ago; here is the before and after for reference;

image.thumb.png.87bb5817a0429b819190067d53066d52.png

If done right I think SMP can look fine in the hairline. :)
You need at least three sessions for a realistic result.  After the first session SMP will look flat.

If you've already had this much, I'd say keep your SMP before the transplant.  It will give a nice textured look under your scalp.
Remember that the sun is an enemy to any hair transplant.

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Got my first SMP session not too long ago; here is the before and after for reference;

image.thumb.png.87bb5817a0429b819190067d53066d52.png

If done right I think SMP can look fine in the hairline. :)
You need at least three sessions for a realistic result.  After the first session SMP will look flat.

If you've already had this much, I'd say keep your SMP before the transplant.  It will give a nice textured look under your scalp.
Remember that the sun is an enemy to any hair transplant.

Thanks for posting this. It gives me hope. I'm thinking of removing my SMP (hairline) at the end of the year but I'd like to give my HT at least 8 months. My SMP was really good and I'm really happy with the artist. None of my friends ever noticed it as well. But I just have become more self aware of it. I just need to be patient and 1) See the transplanted hairs growing 2) Give the new hairs time to see how it blends with my SMP

Just now, Caradubaxu said:

Thanks for posting this. It gives me hope. I'm thinking of removing my SMP (hairline) at the end of the year but I'd like to give my HT at least 8 months. My SMP was really good and I'm really happy with the artist. None of my friends ever noticed it as well. But I just have become more self aware of it. I just need to be patient and 1) See the transplanted hairs growing 2) Give the new hairs time to see how it blends with my SMP

Your SMP will also help mask that you got a transplant during the ugly duckling phase. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeanToman said:

Your SMP will also help mask that you got a transplant during the ugly duckling phase. :)

Actually it's doing that job superbly well. I decided to get the HT while my wife was away for a month. I never told her about it, only a close friend knew. I got it the 1st week she was away. I was able to get the transplant, recover, and remove the scabs all while she was away. She hasn't noticed a damn thing, and she gets pretty close to me ;). Only thing I've noticed is that the SMP has faded quite a bit. That's because of all the fluids that were inserted on my scalp for the surgery. I'll get a touch up on the crown area next year. Just want to get out of this ugly duckling phase I'm in where I don't really see a ton of difference than before. 

I had 4100 grafts put in. I'll be posting a testimonial soon. Thanks @SeanToman for your replies

Just now, Caradubaxu said:

Actually it's doing that job superbly well. I decided to get the HT while my wife was away for a month. I never told her about it, only a close friend knew. I got it the 1st week she was away. I was able to get the transplant, recover, and remove the scabs all while she was away. She hasn't noticed a damn thing, and she gets pretty close to me ;). Only thing I've noticed is that the SMP has faded quite a bit. That's because of all the fluids that were inserted on my scalp for the surgery. I'll get a touch up on the crown area next year. Just want to get out of this ugly duckling phase I'm in where I don't really see a ton of difference than before. 

I had 4100 grafts put in. I'll be posting a testimonial soon. Thanks @SeanToman for your replies

That's amazing, I'm rooting for you!

• Administrators

I believe smp could definitely help with the illusion of density.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gatsby I saw from your HT journey post that you removed your smp from your hairline before the surgery with Eugenix. Where did you get this done? Did it blow away

the hair that you on the hairline? I can't find reliable information on wether the laser will remove the hairs or not. Any guidance is appreciated. 

• Valued Contributor

@Caradubaxu yes. Before I had my surgery back in January I had my SMP hairline lasered back by about 1cm all around the hairline. As you might have seen I have an FUT like scar that runs across the top of my hairline and the SMP just covered it. I didn't want to have the new hairline growing behind the SMP so that's why I had the SMP removed. If you have hair in the area you want to have SMP removed I'm told on good authority that the depth of the laser for SMP ink is not as deep as the hair root so it should not affect the hair. However I would first have this verified though by a qualified practitioner. All the best!