RWG

Norwood Scale: NW II-III

Grafts: 2619

Total Hairs: 5861

Hairs/Graft: 2.23

Singles: 418 | Doubles: 1248 | Triples: 874 | Quadruples: 85 

HT Date: April 11-12th

Meds: Started with 1mg/day Fin in Jan 2022. Will now add 5mg/day oral minox

I have found this forum extremely helpful in my hair transplant research so wanted to share my experience here. I am an American living in Spain so researched and reached out to the top doctors here (De Freitas, Lorenzo, Cuoto and Ximena Vila) starting in January 2022. All except for De Freitas had incredibly long wait times for the consultation (some 1 year+). Clinica De Freitas gave me the option to have a consultation with Dr. De Freitas' colleague in January or wait until April to meet personally with Dr. De Freitas. I had previously visited a clinic in the US so had a general idea on things and didn't feel it entirely necessary to meet directly with the doctor. I just wanted to get my HT scheduled ASAP so I had the consultation in January with his colleague. I was quoted at needing 2500 grafts and immediately scheduled the procedure for March 2023. Luckily a few weeks later they called to say they had a cancellation and I could do the procedure this April.

I had the procedure done over 2 days. On day one I had a morning and afternoon session (Arrived at clinic at 9am and left around 8pm with breaks for food, etc throughout); around 1800 grafts in total. On day two I had an afternoon session to do the remaining grafts (arrived at clinic at 1pm, left at 6:30pm). Overall, the experience was super great. Dr. De Freitas definitely made me feel like I was in good hands. The staff were super friendly and made me feel super comfortable. Currently, 2 days post op and I am doing well. No pain in donor or recipient areas. Only a decent bit of swelling moving down the face. Thankfully, did the recommended face massages to avoid it around the eyes, I just look a bit like a football head for now but will hopefully subside soon.

I'll continue to post pics as I progress.

Best photo I could find of hairline pre-surgery (Aug 2021):

JPEG_20220413_164407_4061296175620254982.jpg.75140a29fb1433761f340f3a72137eb2.jpg

Photo after Day 1:

JPEG_20220413_164652_1705824501836321948.thumb.jpg.772aad095126802558c429300165452f.jpg

After Day 2:

JPEG_20220413_164527_4861409069716006194.thumb.jpg.b51ab22beabe3744699c414f279760aa.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent, I am happy that the real patient cases who will publish their experience journey with Dr. De Freitas' clinic are starting to be featured on HRN as well.  Good luck.

• Administrators

Damn, i'm loving all these new threads of Dr. De Freitas, happy growing.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, PizzaWolf said:

I'm not thrilled about DeFreitas having another doctor handle his surgical consults.

Can I ask how much time DeFreitas spent with you on the hairline design before beginning surgery?

The other doctor was really great, to be honest. Took a lot of time and attention to detail, more than at another consultation I had at another clinic. You can always have the consultation with De Freitas if you prefer, the wait time just appears to be longer. In my case I didn't want to wait.

Prior to the surgery, De Freitas was very meticulous with the hairline design. He spent quite a bit of time fine tuning it, to get it just right after the initial draw. He would show me in the mirror and we discussed it. I don't know exact time as with the nerves and everything it was all a bit of a blur.

14 hours ago, Min12 said:

Any images of the donor area post surgery?

These are now 3 days post op. Sorry they aren't better but I had to take these myself and was having a hard time getting a good one. Face swelling is now almost completely gone as well.

PXL_20220415_110046457.thumb.jpg.a114814e1e50417aee01e1225dd1ecb3.jpg

PXL_20220415_110049955.thumb.jpg.2c0109a3e285386dc974ea6932ae7373.jpg

Edited by RWG

I did have a question for the forum. He mentioned that my skin at the recipient area was very hard. I was wondering if that is common or if others have had experience with that and if it might have any potential impact on results (grafts not taking or something like that)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drawdownfx said:

Amazing work, looks so clean. I am curious if you discussed temples with De Freitas this is something I haven't seen him do?

I didn't discuss it with him as it wasn't an area of concern for me at this point. I'd recommend reaching out to the clinic via WhatsApp. They are usually quite quick to respond, in English or Spanish.

• Like 1

1 Month Post-op. The shock loss + first time Minoxidil use shed is real but I can already seem some small dark hairs sprouting up on and near the hairline (can't see from photos) so hoping that is new regrowth already but not sure if it's still too early for that and I'm being overly optimistic.

PSX_20220509_105816.thumb.jpg.abe343843b2e8a86d7912cd71eaf75fe.jpg

PSX_20220509_105836.thumb.jpg.cc7a184b07ead894b94be191c5779ac4.jpg

PSX_20220509_105926.thumb.jpg.5fb6107d46a4fc1873b2796aec021e73.jpg

Thanks for posting, I am considering Dr. Freitas so this is incredibly helpful. Please keep us updated on your progress if you can.

Did Dr. Freitas perform a large amount of the procedure himself? I have seen on this forum that he may be using quite a few technicians. Also, I'm curious to know if there were any other surgeries taking place on the days that you had your procedure. Thanks!

1 hour ago, htc said:

Thanks for posting, I am considering Dr. Freitas so this is incredibly helpful. Please keep us updated on your progress if you can.

Did Dr. Freitas perform a large amount of the procedure himself? I have seen on this forum that he may be using quite a few technicians. Also, I'm curious to know if there were any other surgeries taking place on the days that you had your procedure. Thanks!

Will definitely be posting as I progress!

So a technician did the extraction and then Dr. De Freitas did the implantation. The technician was great and my donor healed up very quickly and cleanly.

I only saw one other guy when I was there at the same time as me but I've heard he does up to 3-4 per day.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, RWG said:

1 Month Post-op. The shock loss + first time Minoxidil use shed is real but I can already seem some small dark hairs sprouting up on and near the hairline (can't see from photos) so hoping that is new regrowth already but not sure if it's still too early for that and I'm being overly optimistic.

PSX_20220509_105816.thumb.jpg.abe343843b2e8a86d7912cd71eaf75fe.jpg

PSX_20220509_105836.thumb.jpg.cc7a184b07ead894b94be191c5779ac4.jpg

PSX_20220509_105926.thumb.jpg.5fb6107d46a4fc1873b2796aec021e73.jpg

Looking good.

Do you think the little sprouting hairs that are popping through are transplanted hairs that did not grow as long as the others and they have not shed ?

I am 3 weeks post surgery myself and I have similar. I haven’t noticed them before so they do look like fresh hairs popping through but it’s obviously to soon. Maybe they are just more noticeable because the hairs that were longer have shed ? 

2 hours ago, Whipaway said:

Looking good.

Do you think the little sprouting hairs that are popping through are transplanted hairs that did not grow as long as the others and they have not shed ?

I am 3 weeks post surgery myself and I have similar. I haven’t noticed them before so they do look like fresh hairs popping through but it’s obviously to soon. Maybe they are just more noticeable because the hairs that were longer have shed ? 

Thanks.

Yeah, I think that's certainly possible. My other thought was maybe it was native hair that fell out and is already growing back. Either way I'm trying to manage expectations and not get too excited or antsy as I know I've still got a couple months to get through and getting too excited too soon will just make it seem longer and like progress isn't happening.

For me mine can’t be native hair - They are where I had no hair at all. 
far to early for any growth so I can only presume they are transplanted hairs which have stayed tiny and not grown , although I have not noticed them before.
I’m also not gonna think about my hair for a couple of months, best to get it out of your mind and let time pass. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...